Moving south - Folly vs. Wrightsville?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by greenroomhoo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013

as long as you dont live down by me, we have got nothing the last week its been painful.

2. greenroomhoo

greenroomhoo Member

Nov 14, 2013
    yes - consistency...thanks for pointing that out

3. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    An observation:

We all love and defend "our" breaks and want everyone to know how consistent they are but then we get pi$$ed off when everybody shows up and it gets crowded. I love South Carolina and wanted to move to Savannah before my son started going to UNCW. I didn't know Carolina Beach existed until I figured out I couldn't afford a place anywhere near Wrightsville. Check both areas out; they both have great qualities.
    PS... STAY OFF MY WAVE, KOOK!!! I'll vibe you so hard... I kid, I kid... good luck and safe travels!

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Greenroom OP: You mentioned you can't raise your kids in New Smyrna... Care to explain further? That area has some of the best science and tech prep schools in the country. Has something to do with that NASA thingy being down there.

To weigh in: I've spent tons of time in Chucktown in my lifetime, probably totals living there for about 6-8 months so I'm no expert but I kinda sorta know a little bit of what I'm talking about. That said, Charleston is an awesome classic Southern City. I always went for sailing and there is a huge sailing community down there, I've brought a board most times and caught at least fun waves at Folly and, yes, on the Northern part of IOP. Never caught it epic, but it can get really epic on a Hobie 18 and/or a J-24. My favorite part of that area is Mt. Pleasant due to location and the cool old neighborhoods (I'm a sucker for old houses). Folly reminds me of how Harbor Island, WB used to be when I was growing up--nice neighborhoods with moderate homes and even nicer people. Not nearly as pretentious as being in C-town proper.

The only problem I have with C-dizzle-tizzle is all the preppy frat types. Sure, most are pretty nice, I'm speaking more in terms of Preppy to any other scene ratio. I swear the only reason salmon(pink) button down shirts are still made is because of Charleston, you could probably open a Men's Boutique selling only salmon and white button downs, khaki shorts (no longer than 10" inseam) and pants, fishing tournament shirts (the wearers of have never fished in a tournament) and regatta shirts (the wearers of have never sailed in a regatta) and make money hand over fist. The homogeneity really gets to me sometime. Not to mention Charleston's strategy for dealing with poor people (read [and I'm not exaggerating too much] Black People)--chitt ain't cool in my book... unfortunately ILM seems to be copying their paper on this lately--further gentrifying already rich areas while letting poorer areas languish then wondering why they have a crime problem.

...and one more thing: You see a speed limit sign of 35 in C-town, locals will be driving 30 MAX--takes some getting used to.

...and C-town has a leg up on inshore fishing over Illmington...

I was born and raised in Thrillmington, lived in Raleigh for college (NCSU) and hated every second of it even though I always moved back in the summer to teach sailing (maybe C-town resembled the rat race of the RDU for me a little too much). It's always seemed that ILM has a leg up on culture and cultural diversity over Chaaaalsten. Per capita we have more restaurants, music, art and other cultural activities (ILM is about 1/2 the size of C-town). Sure, Wilmywood (you know why it's called that?) has its fair share of preppies but they are easier to avoid.

WB has changed A LOT. It's seriously overrun with super rich transplants who are attempting to run their own little despotic regime on the island. They can eat a B=======D. I hate the Landfall/Mayfair area even though there are a couple great restaurants there. I grew up on WB South End, lived in Forrest Hills, lived off Greenville Loop for a while then back to the beach. After college I've pretty much hovered around the Downtown area except for the first house I bought, which was off Middle Sound Loop--sold it because I couldn't stand the traffic.

Did I mention we have some darned good schools here? Did I mention we (the state) have one of the best public university systems in the country? OK, Dookie's a good university too, but youz gonna PAY!

...Wilmington has a leg up over Charleston in OFFSHORE fishing...

Bottom line is both areas have their positives and negatives, above is just my completely biased opinion--I love visiting the Charleston Area and I love calling Wilmington my home.

Did I use enough nicknames?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  5. banxsurfer

banxsurfer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington/CB/Kure beach and Topsail just north seal the deal on this debate. You can make a living in wilmington and the waves are consistent (buy a log you will need it) Water stays fairly warm in winter and no crowds when the waters cold. I live up on the Outer Banks (Nags Head) and this place is classic....but almost impossible to make a living year round. Most travel up to the banx and score often in fall/winter and I would recommend you do the same.

6. greenroomhoo

greenroomhoo Member

Nov 14, 2013
    thanks for the thoughts. Of course factoring kids in is a big deal and NC's state colleges are a BIG DRAW to NC. Im not sure how SC schools shake out

I think the space coast is just too spread to raise them (we have vacad to new smyrna a bunch) and will be too much of a culture shock coming from where we are (between Bmore and DC).

7. babybabygrand

babybabygrand Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
  8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

I love that spot (the spot that shall not be mentioned) and hate that they're using a pic of it as their profile photo. Good thing you can't see any defining landmarks:rolleyes:

9. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    We have 2 awesome highschools in Charleston area, but the colleges aren't amazing. Well, MUSC is pretty damn good. Clemson is a great school, if you want a technical degree. Personally, I am a WVU grad, so I can't push for NC or SC schools too much. Coming from DC, you will be in culture shock in Charleston.

10. idiot

idiot Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ive surfed folly for the past 2+ years, the washout is a savior. everywhere else will be ankle high and it will be chest. SC is just way too damn inconsistent, i wouldn't move here

11. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    You should try leaving folly once in a while. If Folly is chest high, IOP is chest high.

12. idiot

idiot Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Gonna have to disagree; in my experience, on certain swell directions/winds, it will only be rideable at the washout while iop/folly pier/kiawah has nothing. the jetties help focus high angled swells (NE) much better than other spots.

13. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Every day there have been rideable waves at the Washout, I have been riding waves at the north end of IOP. How much time have you spent on IOP? I am out there at least 2-3 days a week. The jetties can't increase swell size magically. There is no way you can see ankle high waves at IOP or Kiawah, and somehow see chest high at the washout. The jetties on folly mostly help reflect the waves and help them barrel. This is a more aggressive effect of the same dynamics we see with certain sand bars on IOP.

14. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Brew, you have no idea where this guy's chest is. He could be 3 ft tall and loving SC's waves.

You're right though, IOP=Folly=Kiawah. The washout's waves will be slightly steeper due to the fact that the beach is literally washing away making the beach steeper. The jetties do help but there is no magnification, for the entire wave only for the peak right next to jetty.

For the folks that haven't been here before, don't be fooled by the Washout's "jetties", they're merely rock outcroppings meant to hinder erosion. You're not going to experience any sheltering from the wind or wave wrapping around these things.

OP, if you're basing your decision on surf. Pack your bags for NC. I'd advise you to come visit both places before you make decision based on a surf predictin' site. I wouldn't make my decision after listening to the tourist that have passed through downtown Charleston (the peninsula) either. There are many scene's here.

Don't tell me this city ain't got no soul, ya just gotta poke around.

15. babybabygrand

babybabygrand Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Yea it's a hype machine but the man does take some damn fine photos. just wanted the OP (and ok everyone else) to see how good we got it here in SENC ;) Looking forward to these winds dying down hopefully for tomorrow!

16. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Hey Clem,

Being totally honest here, not being a smart***...can you enlighten me on the scene around Chucktown? I'd love to go back some day, but if I get stuck in another bar looking at a sea of salmon golf shirts, plaid pants, and gucci sunglasses and being forced to listen to 70's soft rock...there will be blood...and a trail of bodies. Man can only take so much.

I know Clutch plays there on occasion, so there has to be something going on around there. I don't mind getting off the beaten path either.

A bit off topic so if you want to PM that's fine, unless the OP or others are interested.

17. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Places to visit to get a better feel for the Charleston scene:
    Folly
    - Folly Beach Brewing Company
    - Surf Bar
    Sullivan's
    - Poe's
    - HomeTeam BBQ
    Mt P
    - House of Brews
    - Coleman Public House
    Down Town
    - Music Farm
    - The Griffon
    - Blind Tiger
    James Island
    - The Pour House

Those are just a few places that represent a better picture of Charleston, and not just the touristy mainstream crap most people go for.

Edit, didn't realize you just wanted music venues. Many of those places also have live music.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  18. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks Brew! And no, doesn't have to be music venues, just places to get a good drink with enough dirtbags and freaks for me to feel at home and hear some decent music on the jukebox. Pretty much all I need.

19. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Ahh Clemson, so what's the deal on this Thanksgiving thing? I've been waiting for the details and info. Plus, I need you to send me a bus ticket......plane would be even better.

Oh I don't eat turkey, I only eat pizza. So tell your servants to keep that in my mind.

20. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Awesome list, brew - thank you! I'll be down in your neck of the woods for New Years, so your list will come in handy.

Quick question that might have already been asked/answered - How's the surf at Kiawah? Is it worth bringing a board? Any decent spots within biking distance? Thanks again!