Thxgiving Swell in RI

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by RIsurfer, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Rhode Island is crowded because it is so small. Oh lordy so tiny......Plus you guys have all them b!tchen point breaks with channels to paddle out in which there to. Oh man !! It's all so easy and user-friendly, just perfect for Skippy from Greenwhich (did I spell that place correct). Just be happy the Bridgeport crew hasn't shown up yet. Man, Trevolution would muff y'all up, once he gets out of prison for felony skateboarding crimes.

I love paddlin' channels!! I's sick of taking frothy ones on the head. I'm not allowed to use the leash by court order and it gets so scary.....sometimes.

Kelly Slater made your breaks with crowds. It's all his fault. What, did you think him appearing on Baywatch wasn't going to entice people from Coventry to Fairfield? I gots an idea: Start easy transport from CT to Strong Island(represent)..you know across the sound. Send those CT dudes to Strong Island(represent).

Actually, if you so vehemently anti-crowd, you shouldn't even look at sites like this one. Real G mackers don't need internet sites to let them know when the waves be coming......that's what Al Roker is for. He'll let you know.

Head to Oxnard, California and look-up Zorba Cruz. He'll teach you how to scare away outsiders. You will study under him and come back ready to wax-on and wax-off. And CT scares mo easily than Vals and southers. Californians are tough. Oh, stay out of La Colonia and don't come back with a Cowboy jersey on. Cliques barrio, holmes.

2. epictetus

epictetus Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Now it's lookin' like Gloucester is gonna be the go-to for Thurs... actually I wonder if this swell will be good at Winthrop, hrm. High tide @ sunrise, I think the Winthrop break doesn't work at low tide so that may be good? Or maybe I'm totally wrong about that. Gloucester seems like more of a sure thing...

3. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I lived in RI for sometime.... Place isn't crowded if you are down to drive around checking a few spots. Rhode island is sick because your able to spread out into varying points, reefs, beaches. Sure there are days when the easy access places are firing and they are crowded, but drive 5 minutes and you got yourself a thin lineup. Sure there are a few secrets, most of which I found within the first few weeks of living there because of the personal advertisements.

4. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    im throwing on my 654 with the wind being up so much. still havent figured out how i am going to attend lunch-dinner with the prime set-up looking around mid afternoon but we'll see.

5. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    I need a new 5 mil.......this cold all of a sudden came on. Water in Jersey is like 44 F right now........Man, wasn't it August, like, a week ago. Far out, man.

Ha Gaffer, you think you got it good in San Diego. Ha, the east coast is double overhead all of the time. And Narragansett is a real place, totally. I've been there. I've seen it. Coastal Rhode Island is so quaint. I watched Hogan's Heroes in the motel, and marveled at the local cool kids. Totally cool. They'll vibe you at The Dock, too. Stunningly charming.

Ah what a life - being a local cool kid living in Narragansett. Scenic coastline and quaint New England/Cape Cod houses. A clean, safe environment, as the hooligans are kept in place in Providence and Pawtucket.

A lovely November afternoon, surfing and singing lullabies in a peaceful cove which produces clean, almost mechanical, waves. Surf til frozen, then the obligatory hot shower, followed by a cozy home-cooked meal with the family, all in the confines of a simple, quiet neighborhood. The cold North West wind whips and whistles outside....banging at the door, trying to get in, but you won't let it. Daddy stokes a fire, and the sun starts to set. You're at peace, as you smell the wood burning, and the Kasser's vodka warms your throat. You smile. You're a cool kid from Rhode Island, and all is well with the world.

6. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Still in board shorts, Gaf. The clams, not me. 6/5/4 hooded with 7MM booties and 5MM gloves.

7. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I feel warm and fuzzy now.

8. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    VAS this next couple of days. I doubt anyone is putting on their suits. 3 inches of rain headed our way, mixed precip at night, high wind advisorys coming from NOAA. But we'll see. I've surfed with 20+MPH as long as its coming out of the north/NW and you are tucked away in the right spot.
    Also - Jay Peak has 5 feet of snow pre-December.

9. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Not that I don't agree with you re: blowing up spots but....

this thread has been viewed close to 1000 times

10. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Winthrop sucks perpetually and is contaminated. It's just not a good time and the only reason anyone surfs it is that the locals don't realize what a car is. Gloucester sucks at winds over 10mph even if offshore and these will be way higher. Plus it's a rivermouth and the rain will have been pouring by then so hello dirty water, not to mention kooks everywhere at that place. Could be the worst in that regard.

NH is less than an hour from where you'll be and there's lots of beaches and points that will all be rocking during Thursday and there's enough of them that won't be overcrowded. There are also two breaks in between the two mentioned above that will hold Thursday's swell very well and those are your best bets other than NH. One is a beach break that is about halfway between those two and no one seems to know that it breaks very well as I've seen only three other surfers all the times I've been there. The other is also a beach break a bit south from the one I just mentioned and a bit north from Winthrop. It lines up great with the wind and swell we are getting and should be excellent at low to incoming.

Don't be fooled, Rhodey will be good at most all places but you've got to get strategic in EMass since one spot can be firing and another that's set up differently nearby can be junk. PM me for further info. In the meantime, talk about the crappy MA breaks all you want so the crowds go there and leave the good ones to us!!!

11. MellowMonday

MellowMonday Active Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I just want to add my "thanks for nuthin!"
    When guys are showing up with half a carload and can't figure out how to get in the water like 2 weeks ago, "thanks for nuthin!".

12. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Yes, but I've viewed it myself 960 times plus the 32 posts = 992. So outside of this thread only 8 people have been privy to our secrets :)

13. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    To the Rhodey guys claiming this thread killed it all: what breaks have been named in this thread? It's mainly been posts complaining about SI ruining Rhodey surf. Back in June, everyone was talking about the prominent point breaks and naming it over and over. That was June. And in July you were the only state in New England that had swell. You think starved surfers need one message forum to lead them to the oasis in times of a drought? C'mon braddah, they're gonna start talking fast and word will get around. We are over-valuing ourselves if we think that more than a few surfers sift through the hundreds of nonsensical posts we put up so they can identify our "hidden jewels".

Go look at The Wall in NH if you want to see a crowded lineup. You think it took a message board to create that? Na breh, word of mouth will always be king. Five surf shops within five miles didn't hurt the cause of break marketing either. How many shops do you have in Newport and surrounding areas? Yeah, thought so. Brah, I love Rhodey and frequent it more from out of state than many locals do that can't get a hall pass often enough. I don't want overcrowding there any more than you do. But it's not all of a sudden happening because of posts on here. People talking face to face in shops and on text, that's the wildfire.

14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Tell us how many shops Spicoli. The effect of internet discussions related to shops can never be quantified to gauge its impact, it's all speculation at this point. That being said, no reason to drop spot names, include landmarks in pics, etc, etc...if you get info somehow, it's best to keep it to yourself. And the only time I heard a spot name dropped in a shop in RI it was a complete bs, dude told someone that boat slips were gonna be built there within a year.

Let people drive around and figure it out on their own...where spots are, what works best on incoming/outgoing, what works best in different winds...this is all stuff to be figured out on your own and not just handed out.

15. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    There are several shops. I agree we can't quantify any one method of break communication over another other than knowing that general word of mouth reigns supreme and word is always gonna get out. No one's taking an oath here in the CIA and even if so, all it takes is one mouthy kook to mention it to his dozen kook pals and now it's viral.

We are on the same page against overt publicity of breaks. Even when someone tells me a rumor of a good spot coming up the next day, I still cross-section it 7x over across all the sites and stats. Because until those waves are actually breaking clean, all those words amount to is unsubstantiated hot air. I study as much as I can about any break there's a chance of me ever charging as to not need to depend on any circumstantial hearsay from those who just heard the same from Joe Blow. A story is always more or less when it's passed on than when it was received.

Lastly, it's the etiquette of a lineup that affects functionality over numbers of surfers in it, within reason. There was a day this summer at a favorite break in Eastern RI where over 100 surfers were charging the same small beach break with complete synchronicity and no aggro. Then, I've seen the bigger, more traveled peaks down there get dysfunctional in a hurry with but a dozen surfers. The observed variables you may ask? A correlating relationship between lineup dysfunction and increase in surfers' age and number of longboards.

16. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Yeah Spicoli I think its time we revoke your internet license. We know you are excited, but the culture you so badly want to be a part of looks down on what your doing.

17. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    And what would that be? I didn't start this thread. I didn't name a break in this thread. In the general Thanksgiving Swell thread there are kooks naming breaks outright and I'm calming them down.

9 of 10 times I charge it is solo, so where's the culture in that? I'm not perusing those internet surf meet up events that smack of Cross-Fit type CULTure. Let me know when the initiation is though, for this surf culture, brah. I'll let you know if I'm free that day, though I may have better things to do.

This thread kind of has no purpose in general and never did. Seems to be a safe zone for the aggro Rhodey folk to freak the fark out. If someone doesn't intervene soon, we will start getting vined and infiltrated by 12 latex "people". Are those Roy's people?

18. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Man, the east coast is like Big Sur and Iceland. Tons of undiscovered spots or spots well-off the beaten path. Totally secret.

One day I stumbled upon a town called Ocean City, and I was feeling adventurous. I meandered my way towards the coast purely on instinct, as this town is very sparse on people and structures, and dense in forest. I found what looked to be a path to the beach, and I bravely made the three-hour hike from the street up-and- over the boardwalk and onto a stretch of dunes that went for miles. I finally made it to the sand, and it was a dream come true. Blocks upon blocks of two foot semi-choppy windswell lapped at the shore........

Hey when you guys mention Rhode Island spots could you guys include directions next time. Thanks dudes.

Rhode Island is really that crowded? Points and reefs draw crowds I reckon. You can find a peak to yourself in Jersey, no problem. Shouldn't you New Englanders be ice fishing and playing hockey, now? Oh man, I saw a picture of The Wall from this past September.......WOW, Holy Mackrel! Good lord, when did surfing become so damn popular up there? That's just crazy. Cu Coo bananas.........

19. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Oh yeah, you fellows do realize that anyone with an interest in your area can go onto a multitude of surfing websites and they give: The name of the break; The town in which it is located: a synopsis on the place; and directions.

HA HA, the jokes on them. What's the chances that they'll stumble upon them during one of the 10-15 days the spot is actually any good. Suckers, getting sold false internet dreams. According to some of these sites the east coast hosts numerous world class spots. HA HA suckers........

Hey, don't blame me I didn't invent the internet, and I learned aboot spots the old fashion way - I inherited them.

20. Aquidneck

Aquidneck Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Wait?!?!? theres swell this week? what? in Rhode Island????!!!!?? Sh!t is that what the whole "forecasting" thing is about?!? You know, with all the pretty colors and diagrams?!?! Huh.... i didnt realize that predicted swells and stuff... Damn i usually use the Farmer's Almanac to predict when theres gonna be a swell... good thing i saw this thread or I would have missed it. Thanks man!