End of forecast

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by tuggernuts, Dec 3, 2013.

1. tuggernuts

tuggernuts Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Why is there always an overhead swell predicted on last day of forecast on SI? After 2 days, it turns to chest high, in 3 to a waist high or flat. Today's forecast was well overhead when first on the charts, and now there is another?

I think its just a ploy to get us coming back time and time again to look.

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

3. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Its not hard to figure out...look to the top and right part of your screen. Were in the money, were in the money.

4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    We aren't that clever...
    Based off of the weather models and there are certain biases in the model.
    People seem to only remember the times when it over-predicts in the long range, where as the opposite occurs as well, and sometimes its pretty darn consistent the entire 7 days.

5. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    maybe you should try forecasting on your own :cool:

6. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Why are they called crab cakes, when there's no frosting nor candles?

7. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    What happens is........

If there is a situation 7 days out where Mr. Swellinfo Guy is unsure of the call, him and the staff go to their back-up plan........

Mr. Swellinfo Guy's dog.

Being a good dog, the dog is usually a little overly-optimistic. Hence, the reports tend to be on the bigger side when dealing with the long-term. Dogs can smell cancer so with some training and guidance they'll be predicting waves soon enough.

Oh what, now you're going to hate on the dog?

8. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    it's just about keeping a good balance of opposites. Surfline is run by (much more accurate) pessimist cats.

9. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I always look at the weather and I can usually tell why it might be overforcasted. If the weather forcast changes during the week then swell usually follows. Although I have to say, they are pretty accurate down here.

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Why is a near miss actually a hit.....?

(props to George Carlin)

11. Masterjasson

Masterjasson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M

12. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
  13. Kuono

Kuono Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    follow the locals... :)

anything two + days out is going to change since it's predicted, paddled out on "red days" still had fun as long as the winds cooperated, best bet is always personally check your spots.

One thing I've learned from surfing (and still do) is oceanography / meteorology part time

14. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    this swell is crap here,but next Tuesday looks great,ha-ha.

15. tuggernuts

tuggernuts Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    what a surprise, mondays swell goes from an over head combo swell, to flat.

16. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Just my opinion, but iam surprised how accurate it can be you gotta keep in mind it's just a guide. No way an exact science, especially that far in advance.

They often aren't predicting any kind of swell while the European model shows a storm possibly brewing 5-7 days in advance while the gfs shows nothing...Iam assuming swell info mainly uses the gfs.

17. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Great, KB, great. Coupla very good days (nothing epic but just good long lefts & rights in tropical waters), coupla average days & one blown out, washing machine day. Lotta fun in the water, good healthy food & overall always worth making the trek.

18. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    good to hear...glad you enjoyed it.

To the OP, look at the forecast this week...I'm seeing flatlines 7 days out.

19. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Ahhh but Surfers Suuuuplies is all gung ho for next week............

Ahh man, I love the sound of that guy's voice. I call that number 4 times a week.........ever since 1987......Sometimes I disrobe before hand.......

I wonder what Mr. Swellinfo Guy's voice is like............He should do a recorded Delaware surf report.....I'd call every night. No, really, I would. Phone recorded surf reports are a part of east coast nostalgia that should never die. Most of the young kids on here don't even know........They don't even know......they use the computer exclusively........THAT IS WRONG !!!! CALL THE RECORED SURF REPORT......IT'S SO SEXY !!!!! TAKE YOUR PANTS OFF !!!!

20. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    mannn, i remember calling the corolla surfshop report on trips down south. My dad told me about the surfer supply ones from back in his day and encouraged me to check our "vacation" spots while we were there.