Best surf trip travel bag?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by BJ79, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BJ79

BJ79 Member

Dec 10, 2013
    So I have finally made plans to go visit my friend in California for the first time, I'll be flying out there, with my board, its a 6' fish, wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which board bag to buy or suggestions on how to pack the board in the bag (foam, any wrapping?) Not looking to spend more then $150 on the board bag though, any suggestions will help, thanks!

2. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    The last several trips i have taken i did exactly what this guy below did. all of my boards are basicaly between 5'10" and 6"6" so I bought a $60 7'0" funshape day bag, and have traveled quite a few times with one or two shortboard boards like this without any issues, and the day bags are just so much lighter and easier to deal with once you get to where your going:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. live2surf

live2surf Member

Jul 22, 2007
    If your in the DC area i will rent you one of mine. Have soft case that will hold up to two 6'10"s and a hard case that will hold up to 2 6'4"s. If your only taking one board the hard case can also fit a lot of your cloths and wetsuit.

4. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I always used a soft day bag. and then wrapped the rails of the board with pipe insulation from home depot- it works like a charm- use masking tape and wrap it around the whole board to keep the insulation on. buy a bag bigger then your board. for a 6' fish I would get a 6'10 or 7 bag... otherwise you cant add any extra cushion packing material. I have seen them on whiskey militia and on seshday.com for cheap...
    hard case is the best way to go... but cost $$$$
    just pack it well...

5. BJ79

BJ79 Member

Dec 10, 2013
    thanks for all the quick responses guys, really appreciate it!

6. frontsidecrotchgrab

frontsidecrotchgrab Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    i bought a travel coffin for $130 online, brand new. Did the job great for me. Its a 6'8" Komunity double board travel coffin.

7. M.R.gnar28

M.R.gnar28 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I may take you up on this offer in March for my annual surf trip. Puerto Rico again. Stoked!

8. BJ79

BJ79 Member

Dec 10, 2013
    What size board did you put in it? Would it work for my 6' fish?

9. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
  10. MellowMonday

MellowMonday Active Member

Sep 28, 2010
    My 2 cents, foam or bubble wrap the rails, nose, and tail. Don't put anything else in the bag!. Keep it LIGHT as absolutely possible!! Handlers will be happy and not have to struggle and get pissed off. Or an expensive hard case.

11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Good point, I have seen them literally drop surf bags from the top of their little carts (8ft) when loading them onto the plane... they just pulled the boards off the top and let them fall... one fell right on the trailer hitch...

#Belmar

12. frontsidecrotchgrab

frontsidecrotchgrab Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Would fit easily. I had a 6'0 shortboard, 6'6" step up, all of my clothes, 2 wetsuits, air mattress, toiletries, fins, leashes, etc. it was ridiculous how much I put in that thing.

13. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I wouldn't chance it. On our November trip to PR my buddy put his brand new Mini-Driver into a medium duty bag (better than a day bag, not as thick as a hard core travel bag) with pretty much this same thought. Picked the board up in baggage claim when we got to PR to find the first 7" of nose crushed like they did their best to pile drive it into something. This was with US Airways where he paid $200 EACH WAY....

14. BJ79

BJ79 Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Anybody know if maybe just shipping it with the local postal service would be better? Ship it to my friends house a week before i go out there just in case of any complications? any thoughts on that?

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Ship it Greyhound. Go to their site and they can give you a probable ETA so you can plan accordingly. Probably the cheapest way to ship and they generally treat fragile stuff like it's fragile... they actually need business.