2013 Billabong Pipe Masters

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by viajerodevida, Dec 7, 2013.

1. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Ha, Slater called out Sweetwater in NC for backing the Aussie. He's right though, we're east coast boys; what down under import are they smoking in WB!

And not for nothing it's great that Kelly will probably give it another year now but Nick has won 1 event and those finals were in French slop (I know it's overall) but look at Kelly's top places, he's just the better surfer in heavier epic conditions...

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Anyone think that PEDs are in pro surfing....?

Discuss

3. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Or let's not... Kelly's 9.87 was absolutely insane

4. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    So the Fanning last minute wave looks ever more clutch/controversial however you look at it. Slater just won the Masters and would have had his 13th title if it wasn't for that last minute win.

5. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    To the best surfer of 2013; Kelly Slater! Points =< then what we see...

6. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    It was hilarious hearing Slater call out Sweetwater... although he admitted the consensus seemed to be for him it was funny to hear him giving them a world-wide jab.

Sweetwater has been mentioned in at least 4 different WCT contest (including the Surf Shop Challenge in Bali), probably the smallest (in square footage) EC surf shop to get that kind of exposure.

I really wanted Kelly to take the title this year and I hope he decides to surf all the comps next year.

7. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Conspiracy to motivate Slater so that the ASP can keep their cash cow coming back year after year

8. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I agree with the score Mick got. It might not have been a steep drop but it was a long barrel and pretty technical too. That guy is clutch.

Anyone think John John should have got the score in the final? It was close, I think he should have thrown down a mean hack after the barrel and he would have had it. He definitely had a section for it, I'm not sure what he was thinking.

9. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    It should have gone into OT.

10. BJ79

BJ79 Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I totally agree with this. That was a crap call, judges and the ASP just wanting to give mick the titles, Kellys backdoor barrel was way deeper and critical, didnt matter at that point but no way was micks ride a 9.7, they gave him the title and gave Kelly no chance to put up a battle, plus Nicol surfed the heat of a lifetime for him, especially in such a pressure situation in a world title heat.. he got robbed and so didnt Kelly

11. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't think Mick got it, but it was close... And I do not think they "wanted" to give it to Mick so he'd win the title.. If anyone gets scores it's Kelly. They may have been caught up in the excitement of the moment and overcalled it, but they were not trying to give him the win

12. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The entire production was really superb, IMHO. The super slow motion shots were / are incredible. The announcers weren't too annoying, and I actually preferred the Aussie talking heads over the USA ones. Whatever the scores, and the debate will always be there as to who deserved what score, the rides were definitely insane.

I had the (cool) feeling that I was watching surfers at the very apogee of their abilities, incredible athletes who were surfing as well as any human possibly could. That Pipe Masters is one for the good-memory-banks. Great stuff.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    ^

I agree.

Fanning took some beatings, but him and everyone else seemed to casually surf macking pipe about as I would surf the local beachbreak when it's shoulder-to-head high.

That panned out camera angle showing the marching sets out back made me realize how scared I would be if I was out at that lineup

14. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I didnt get down to the contest till 10 and parking was INSANE. we parked at our friends and then rode bikes from foodland to pipe.
    I was rooting for Mick and JJF, glad to see everybody got a piece of the action, it was INSANE
    Got a decent spot at Ehukai on the sand looking into the tube at pipe. I had to turn my head to about 10oclock to see the action. then this group of people sat right in front me and my view of pipe. I was SO BOTHERED!!!! :)

pipemasters1.jpg
    pipemasters2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  15. DrBill

DrBill Active Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I agree, Mick's wave was good and he really took a beating and kept going back for more, but that wave was not a 9.7. A 9.3 to 9.5 but NOT a 9.7 in my humble estimation

16. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008

17. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    yankee, my pleasure, being as that I am discreet as a dumptruck, I had to contract out my perving to get the pics...these 6-8 girls changed bikinis like 3 times as they worked the crowd and sold hats and stuff. not the closest seats to the tubes, but a fine view nonetheless

18. 4ocean60

4ocean60 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    If kelly wins he most prob walks way with 12 . The rating this year are way up most to people on the beach to watch it and tv/web next year kelly wins 12 .

19. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I saw these chicks on the cam. Seemed like they were really trying to get noticed for sure (not that they couldn't).
    Were they Reef girls or just pro ho's?

20. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Pupos wave was a 9.7, if not a ten.
    Mick took his beatings and had those good waves but that was not a 9.7
    Judges said they gave him the 9.7 since he did a technical bottom turn into the barrel, vs drop in behind the peak like Yadin did. I think Yadin's wave was a harder wave to surf. I'd much rather have a nice roll in wave at pipe than a late drop (if I could ever surf pipe that big).