Advice, getting back into it

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Mdb638, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Hello, new here. Surfed Jersey Shore from age 8 until about 20. Always a shortboard, I enjoyed every minute, but never was that great, lol. 35 now, have had the itch and I'm gonna pull the trigger on a longboard. Looking between a 8'6" and 9'4" range. I'm 5'8" 185lbs. I would appreciate any suggestions helping me out on the board purchase. Size, shape, etc. and possible advice on locations to look for used boards. I live in AC area. Looking for something that will get me back into it but not something that will bore me in first month. I understand I'm asking a lot and there are probably many different views, just would appreciate the advice of the guys that been out there. Thanks

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    gets some roids then head to the gym in oc new jersey, we will proceed in a bench off if i win i get your soul, if i lose ill buy you a new dumbbell set?

3. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Traitor. You can't leave and come back.

4. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I don't do Ocean City, dry town, not for me!!! But I appreciate the quick response.

5. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    There are tons of performance longboards. People like the McTavish Fireball and walden Magic, the Robert August What I Ride. My favorite longboard for years is a custom 9' shaped by Tim Nolte in OBX. If you really want a longboard, that is. But if you want to "rip" you will soon tire of the long board. If you want to catch a lot of rides with less work . . . Long board is it. I have surfed overhead waves on very average long boards.

6. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Long rides less work sounds my speed. Walden magic is a board I have been eying and reading about. Thank you.

7. Bass2mouth

Bass2mouth Member

Sep 20, 2013
    i have a 10' Modern Retro. Im 23 i ride it in anything less then shoulder high and love ittt.

8. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I'm the same height but about 160lbs and for knee high to overhead I love my 5'10" quad fish. Floats and paddles similar to a LB but is way more versatile. I would say since you rode short boards before get a short thick board that floats and trims well. And I would also say stay away from the GSI brands. As the other thread on them showed you can get a locally made board or a good used one for the same or less and they are much better quality.

9. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Yes, have got similar advice. Within a year I see myself with a longboard and then a quad fish. I know nothing about the fish, about what size at 185lbs.? Again, thanks for the assistance

10. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Slater is 41 so 35 is no excuse for a long board. You may still be able to perform a turn. With that being said, get yourself a fun board shape and have some fun in a variety of conditions. I'm partial to 7'6"s because that is the size of the fun board I have and the year I was born so using that rational you should get yourself a 7'8"...Go to a local shaper for extra good karma...

11. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I love my stu sharpe high performance fun board! A town n country shaper for a long time, and proven high end dimensions. I have have a 7'8" n can turn it on a dime for the size. Yes I tried a lot of them n that's what I settled on. For your size ya could go to one of his shorter fun boards n kill it n the small stuff yet thick enough for some overheard stuff with a simple fin change. All the stuff listed above is great don't get me wrong, yet his stuff is awesome on the right volume of an epoxy board. I've riddin 2 footers to double overhead stuff on it n it make me do it easier n better. Mine is an island through coco beach yet I had had him shape it a little stronger on the base since I only surf reef breaks for a little more durability. Try everything if ya can, then buy vs get snookered by some tool. Good luck n get some.

12. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Thank you. I will look into it. Appreciate the advice.

13. ronmexico

ronmexico Member

Jul 13, 2013
    I took about 10 years off due to a recurring shoulder injury. The one mistake I made was trying to jump back on a shortboard immediately. A single fin log can always be part of your quiver in the northeast. Get that first and slowly add to it as you progress.

14. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I would suggest a 6'0"-6'3" range and around 2.5-2.75 thick and fairly wide with low rocker.

15. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is a used Walden 9' 2" or thereabouts on craigslist, Jersey Shore. I am 45 and have boards ranging from 11' to 5' 6". Because of the nature of my job, I would have extended periods of time out of the water. Having a longboard as an option is good to get going again, then start working your way down. A log and a fish make a pretty good quiver around here, and one or the other will work most of the time.

16. Scbe

Scbe Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    With your age and experience, as said above, you should be able to jump back on a hybrid/funshap or larger fish. That said I love my 9' Takyama "In the Pink" for most conditions though it is not very fast on the take off.

17. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Agreed. But to each their own. If he is not super dedicated and going to charge everytime it gets knee to waist high all winter, the long board may not be a terrible idea. Having not surfed for 15 years, I would not know how his body would respond to the conditioning. If this guys has gained weight or is not in prime shape, taking out a short board for a few months may results in almost no waves, and the few he may get will be uneventful.... If he is just trying to get his stoke on, he could be riding down the line on a longboard from day one....

If he is in premiere shape and has been active for 15 years, then yes, he may as well grab a shortboard. Would be way cheaper....

18. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    aside from my gym comment, id go with a longboard because you wont be limited with it. small or big you can still take it out even though i dont see many lbs on big days when or if we get em. i personal like lbs in bigger surf you really got to dig in to make a turn and its more challenging in big surf. who doesn't like a steep ass drop on a 9,4 compared to a 6,0, there is no room for error, for me personally ive never surfed with a leash on my lb no matter what the conditions, so its never fun to go swim in to get the board or holding onto it going over the falls. get a block tail with a wide nose and hang 5 even on the 1 foot days cant beat it.

19. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Appreciate all the expertise! Thanks. Believe I have a 9ft Walden Magic lined up. Should pick it up Tuesday. Nice swell today in OC, tried my old 5/4 on today..... Not even close! So I got the LB I was looking for, Now I'm in the market for a nice thick fish and a winter suit! Thanks greatly appreciated

20. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Get a fat, wide fish like 5'8-6-3 range to get your paddling and pop up back. After a few sessions you will get your feel back. I surfed from like 12-21, was pretty good, then stopped for 8 years while in Marines. In 2010 I started surfing again. I got a performance shortboard and totally sucked. Then I got a 5-8 fish like 20 across and 2.6 thick and I immediately started having fun. I would recommend a little bit bigger fish to start, but if you charged when you were younger and your still athletic your muscle memory will eventually kick back in. Good luck. Btw my fish is a Walden with thruster set up. I still ride it on mush days

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013