Alaia Surfing

Discussion in 'Texas' started by texansurfer, Aug 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hey Xylem do you make paipos too?

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012

3. kenshiles

kenshiles Active Member

May 5, 2012
    How heavy are alaias? A friend of mine has some extra redwood and I was thinking about trying to make one.

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  5. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    My 6'6 x 17" x 3/4" paulownia weighs just over 9 lbs. I'm guessing that a similar-sized redwood would be 15+ lbs. I like the idea of combining wood and foam on an alaia though. I rode a Wegener Bluegill awhile back and it was the smoothest ride. The small fins help too. His is mostly foam though but I think the sweet spot would be 50/50. Or maybe slightly more wood. You should consider adding plugs for small removable fins which will considerably shorten the learning curve.

6. TheWocal

TheWocal Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    6'6?!?!?! Ahhhh I always thoughts Alaias were sorta like mini Simmons, meant to be pretty short... You're dimensions seem supa fun. Genius

7. pdub

pdub Active Member

May 31, 2013
    How long are those?

8. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    They all look to be 7'+ which is longer than what the genius zone allows.

9. BeachCruiser01

BeachCruiser01 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2007
    EO'CO Alaia

This is an Paipo/Alaia shape I am working with at the moment. Clear Composite Pine sealed with Urethane. They are available at a few surf shops for $150.00. I tried the classic rounded nose shape for a while and found it would constantly dig the wave side nose of the board into the face of the wave and slow me down.

If you want to go fast in the barrel on a bodyboarding platform, Paipos are the way to go. Alaias need the right wave and a big learning curve.

Don't fear a heavier board, they chatter less on the face in choppy conditions and do better in bigger surf.

Paulownia is a much lighter wood but its tricky to sand as it varies in its hardness like other hardwoods. Its also expensive relative to more common woods and has crazy big knots you have to work around. Linseed oil has to be applied regularly. It makes a great and beautiful board when you are done with it. SP-6-7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. jackrichard

jackrichard Active Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Don't know much about ride in North Texas. But i will make you confirm very soon regarding the information.
    Thanks for sharing your plan.

11. antman

antman New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Would need a long peeling wave to be really fun. I surfed an old wooden hollow paddle board once. It was wild - very fast with square sides. I made it work but got some huge bruises on my shins form all the hard edges