anyone ever try windsurfing?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by chicharronne, Dec 24, 2013.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    No sailboard can point higher than 45 degrees... most are much more than that. But like any kind of design, there's a tradeoff. Boards that point highest are longer and have symmetrically foiled center fins and/or centerboards or daggers. But these are the worst designs for wave riding. Wave riding boards are shorter and more surfboard like, with multiple fins and no center/daggerboards. For minimal wave riding ability (and no airs), get a longboard sailboard with a big, raked center fin in a box... no centerboard. You'll be able to point relatively high, using that big fin and a lot of windward rail, but you'll just be cruising the waves. Also keep in mind that more wind will let any board point higher.

2. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    I noticed he towed in at Teahupoo goofy-foot, so that's probably his natural stance. So, when he was at Jaws, he was actually switch stance. That's really crazy.

3. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    sup w/windsurfin

the sport made a wrong turn and was found by wayward europeans which kept it. funny, you
    know, the branches on surfings' evolutionary tree..

4. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Where I'm at windsurfing isn't as big anymore. You still see a few guys here and there but not many.

What's really getting big is "kite boarding" Almost to the point that its a problem! Not as bad as paddleboarders though. Though with kite boarding you have to have somewhat of an idea what you are doing to be out there. With paddleboarders all you need is $1200 and you're an instant problem in the line-up!

5. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    true- and with a kite you're just as likely to kill yourself as you are other's if you don't know what you're doing

paddleboard isnt much of a hazard to the rider

6. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Kiting looks like a serious sport, I watch the guys at deep hole in RI and the ones who know what's going on seem to have a blast, they can strategically stall the kite and carefully crawl over the rocks to get out but the ones who can't stall the kite on exit seem to get dragged over the rocks.
    Sup is a terrible problem in the line up, I like to sup but coming from prone surfing I understand the tensions that exist in the line up and a gay sup noob is the most annoying thing

7. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013

Pretty much the set up I need is something that I can sail around as efficiently as a boat so I have the flexibility to head off shore and find breeze. In Maine I find that allot of perfect off shore wind is common but oftentimes also ankle high swell.
    So I was thinking that a long board with a keel would probably do the job like you mention. But I still want to go crazy fast in the apparent wind so I'm looking for that board. Perhaps built it but first I gotta know what I need. I've never wind surfed but avid hobie sailor

8. sailquik

sailquik Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2012
    If you're a beginner get something 150 or so liters in volume and a lightweight rig. Make sure the sail has no cambers. After you can come and go from the same spot and don't lose ground downwind, learn to waterstart as soon as possible. Waterstarting is critical to enjoying and progressing quickly.

9. Mdb638

Mdb638 Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    # youareadouchebag