Ripcurl E-Bomb 5/4

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by RIsurfer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Hey Charles, you must be thinking about this Friday and Saturday in ME. -9 at night, high of 9 on Friday, and big waves. Yay.

2. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Matom yes this weekend looks killer. I've been getting chilly in my f bomb which is not cool seeing how out temps are gonna plunge. Dude did u surf yesterday ? I scored a sick solo sesh at a small undisclosed high tide rock reef break. Over head pulse was on tap. Forecast said thigh high... Stoke.

Vote for Charles as best fighter and bench presser this year boys !

3. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hey aren't you that teenage surf star that has something to do with nub tv? Or am I mistaken?

4. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I been getting all my wetsuits from wetsuitwarehouse.com for the past few years since I found out about them.sizing charts match well,and u can always return for a bigger/smaller size.id buy em from my local shop if I could afford to blow 450 on a good suit.yea they say u get what u pay for,i use a 4/3 hyperflex with 5m hood,7m boots,6mil gloves all hyperflex.they say a 5/4/3 is basically a 5m hood,4m chest,and 3 m arms/legs.my 4/3 is a backzip too which I like,those chest zips are nearly impossible to get out of and very tight.guys been surfing the eastcoast winter since the 60s maybe even longer.my old boss used to be a surfer back in the 70s and told tales of crazy swells.and technology is way better so I think all suits work,im sure the expensive ones are more comfortable and maneuverable than the cheaper ones,but at the end of the day im only in the water a few times each winter for an hour and a half each time.water always gets in the suit,then ur body warms it up with the neoprene and that's basically how it works.my first time out,i tried to avoid duckdiving and trying to stay above the water,a solid thick 6ft barrel nearly broke on my head as I slid under and came up like I was about to die.then a minute later it was actually really warm.i see guys say they actually sweat in their suits,i havnt yet but im not out that long.the coldest months water wise in nj is around feb/march as the water reached its lowest,december is usually great,little harsh January,and I don't recall too many feb sessions but im sure they are there.theres days in late march/april where the suns out and the waters 40degrees and it feels like your out in the summer except for all the rubber.i just got some new gear for Christmas, I love the smell of fresh neoprene

5. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I don't care much about my 3/2 wetty,as its been in a bag in my trunk since September but I always try to take caution with the expensiver suits like my 4.3. I only payed 120 so il be happy if I get another year out of it,bought it last year,suit still in great shape.i fold my wetsuit up and keep it in a drawer with my boots n gloves.i have a few cats and dogs in my house,and im always worried they will claw into it.dont know if keeping it in a dresser is good or bad,but seems good for the first year.u leave a wetty on a regular hanger over a few months,u will definitely have creases.

6. Bass2mouth

Bass2mouth Member

Sep 20, 2013
    just got the new oneill pyrotech 5.5-4 with the "technobutter neoprene". suit is extremly warm and light as a feather. dries quick to. get one!!!

7. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Hah! No im a 33 year old combat veteran marine. But I get excited like a teenager after a good ride. Even if its not me. Yeah the ebomb doesn't have the fleece flash dry sections in midsection, but its still crazy warm. And the reason its so stiff from knees down is its a different neoprene than rest of the suit entirely. If it breaks down after one winter of use im going to be bummed. But then il just go back to old faithful O'Neil mutants. My 4-3 still works for most NJ days when the air temp is above 35 with minimal wind.

8. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    yes, leaving a wetty hanging too long, even from the waist, is not a good idea...but neoprene has a relatively short lifespan anyhow, so keeping it in a drawer is going to help less than one would hope.

Hang it from the waist just to drip dry...but if it's going to go unused for over a month, put it in a drawer.

(btw, dogs love eating wetsuits...found that out the hard way)

9. RIsurfer

Dec 5, 2012
    Sorry for the mistake! Ya i have an oneill mutant 5/4/3 that suprisingly lasts me through the whole winter in Rhode Island. The hood is really flushy though, which is the downside. Im suprised that you last in a 4/3 the whole winter!

10. RIsurfer

Dec 5, 2012
    (Thats why im saving up for the ripcurl)

11. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Agree on the hood being flushy. The mutant lasts me most of the winter but that's why I got the rip curl. The last few sessions were freezing, it was $80 off, i wanted a Christmas gift, it smelled good= purchase. Again if it breaks down quickly il save for the next mutant or hooded pyro freak and get an O'Neil tattoo on my chest forearm and calf just like the suits.