Surfing Santa Cruz

Discussion in 'California North' started by wyattecoyote, Dec 19, 2013.

1. wyattecoyote

wyattecoyote New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Hi there, total newbie!! I am very durable and stay quite warm but am very new to surfing. I will be in Santa Cruz the 26th and 27th of Dec and am looking for some people to paddle out with. I typically have a few days off a week so am looking to make friends for the winter.

2. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Here's my 2 cents. If you're totally new to this, also contact local surf shop(s) and see if they can arrange getting you one or two intro surfing lessons. Surf etiquette also very important.
    Good luck.

3. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    if your new gtfo the forum and post at the surfermag forums. go buy a pound of weed a gnaraloo and smoke meth. go go bench a few hundred pound. smoke your stuff then then paddle out to steamer lane. now your ready to be a surfer! cut everybody off yell and scream and threaten then if they cut you off make sure to yell locals only. if its about to go down challenge to a bench off. #surfedicate101 #belmar newjsersey # dirty jersey

4. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Santa Cruz is an awesome place to surf..especially Steamer. Be respectful of the good surfers out there. Plenty of waves so you'll get one. Cowells may be the best place to get a board, lessons and smaller waves on the inside.

5. Rosner55

Rosner55 New Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Cowells is where you should go.

7. funkyspec

funkyspec Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I also remember Capitola as having a beginner-friendly break.

8. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    This is true unless its a big day

9. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013

Classic, sound advice. Exactly how I pictured jersey.

10. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    You need to be paddling out at Cowell's if you're a rookie.

11. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    dont listen to them go to steamer lane or pleasure point, shred them up and own it in a week.

12. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    if you are totally new. If you surf anywhere other than cowells in santa cruz you will get told by someone where you should surf. Most of the paths leading to surf breaks have rules posted. Santa Cruz is no joke. And they have no problem getting in your face and telling you where you should be.

13. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Sandster takes the fight against Jersey coast to coast! Will he recruit the Californians? What does Christmas have in store for his arch nemesis?
    #BattleOfBelmar

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  14. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I have a photo of said signage at the entrance to one of the breaks also photos of 2 dudes getting washed across the base of the cliff at the same spot. Additionally I took a photo of a dude getting back fisted off a wave at the lane. Santa Cruz smells like there is a never ending skunk orgy happening all around you at all times.

I can't figure out how to add pics to a post without them being attachments. The gaffer did it recently though.

15. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012

Perhaps the PreScn/SysRq button will do it? Vever tried it but I'm at work and lack photos

16. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    make sure to post your gopro footage on here.

17. wyattecoyote

wyattecoyote New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Alright so I am apparently not as new as y'all think. I have taken a lesson at Cowells it was lovely very swishy totally forgiving, spent a week in surf camp and surfed with friends a few times. That said I consider myself NEW, I have no problem with etiquette ( I am a 37 yr old girl!! no balls to get in the way) and have been well instructed in the don't piss people off show some respect side of surfing. Was hoping to find some other folks of a similar experience level to paddle with. Capitola was great on Friday, I have had some good times at Second Peak, Sewer and sharks as well. I don't own a GoPro sorry to disappoint. I should also clearly apologize for trying to make some new friends as I am clearly not cool enough for the likes of this blog. No worries, I will stick to the surf report from here out.

18. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Don't be discouraged by the response you got because at least you got one with valid info! Despite my random attempts to help people out, many of my own questions to folks here go unanswered. F*ck it. Different people, different moods = a wide array of responses from helpful to useless . The variety of response should be expected amid the wide array of surfers and schizophrenics here on SI.

Instead of focussing on the negative, you should be thanking the people that attempted to steer you in the right direction. That is indeed uncool on your part. "Not cool enough for this blog"? Apparently you haven't read much here because you're plenty cool enough, trust me. It's a stoker you followed through and got some waves. I love surfing that entire area. Good times.

Ps. 26th & 27th conflicts with a few days off a week and friends for the winter. In other words are you done in Santa Cruz now because the 27th has passed or are you there for the winter?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  19. wyattecoyote

wyattecoyote New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I live 2hrs away and plan to be in SC a few times a month throughout the year. So my invite to potential friends is on going. I will likely be out again mid month.

20. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    did you take my advice and paddle out to dah cruz yet?