fin problems help

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by AggroNE, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AggroNE

AggroNE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2013
    so i am 8 seconds away from smashing this board and lighting my house on fire...

im trying to get these futures into a new board and the outside fins are so tight they wont budge.

i have on half in and it wont come out.

never seen boxes THIS tight before.

wtf do i do here, short of pulling out a file and widening the box...

2. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    file the fin not the box. ****ing up a fin is cheaper than ****ing up a board.

3. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    DONT FILE YOUR BOARD!! could be the fins. What fins (model) are they?

4. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I would first check the box with another set of fins before sanding/filing anything. If the newer can be installed with relative ease I would first try some liquid soap and water on the fin that causing you difficulty. If you still have problems I would then sand the fin base with a block and 100 grit...

What types of fins are causing you trouble...is it an after market?

5. AggroNE

Aug 26, 2013
    seaworthy futures right out the box. just checked another set of high end fins and they dont fit either.

i have a fin 1/2 stuck in and i cant get it out. i am a very strong human being and i am now resorting to clamps and pliers.

6. AggroNE

Aug 26, 2013
    vise grip and everything i've got and i just yanked out one fin. its chipped. proceeding to sand.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    Is it a custom board?

8. live4truth

Feb 9, 2007
    Also...See if there is some resin in the box...not sure if it's a new board or not...sometimes happens...also...it's possible that when the glasses sanded down the futures box the plastic could have melted a bit into the box....regardless...bum deal my man.

9. surfingwasteland

Jul 24, 2011
    clearly its because your from vermont. my girlfriend is from vermont and she is tighter than a zip loc. good luck.

10. AggroNE

Aug 26, 2013
    new board. lost couch potato. for days like today.

and seriously... where else can a guy find 20 other people who give a **** about fin boxes in the middle of the superbowl. thanks for the help/support.

filing fins with 50 grit.

will a chip or deep gouge in a fin deteriorate over time?

11. surfislife

surfislife Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    haha had that same problem with my bottom feeder with those same fins.

12. live4truth

Feb 9, 2007
    Games a blow out...and nothing better to do....but happy to help...I'm assuming its a surface chip or scratch..as long as it's not to the fin core you should be fine. If your concerned drop some resin over it sand and polish...

13. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    I think small chip or sanding won't hurt your fin but before you get crazy, maybe go back to the shop and have them insert a fin and when they can't - work with them. IMO this is not your problem. defective board never ridden =return.

14. AggroNE

Aug 26, 2013
    fins in! a lot of filing later. after i filed the sides, they fit left to right but they still stuck up. i filed the bottoms evenly and one went in. resin built up in the bottom of one of the other so i had to file the back of the bottom 1/3... sigh.

15. surfingwasteland

Jul 24, 2011
    dude that was like 20 minutes of filing. thats not a lot. good though, we're proud of your resourcefulness

16. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Dude sand the fins!!! It's fairly normal that you gotta sand fins.... On longboards anyways. Just sand the base until they fit - that's the way we do it here at the world class break of Belmar NJ

17. ioman2

ioman2 Active Member

Oct 28, 2013
    i had a similar problem on my lost bottomfeeder. i just used a dead blow hammer (or rubber hammer) and put the fins in and then took them out a couple times. they clearanced themselves.

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    If it's a new board, there's a few things you should check out as soon as you find your fins don't fit into the boxes right. Look for sanding grit or drips of resin inside the box. This should not be the case, but if it is, a small chisel will chip out the drips and runs easily, because the inside of the box is smooth and the resin won't bond well. Flake it all out, and you're good to go. The next thing to check is a burr around the inside rim of the box from sanding. It should have been removed with a razor blade, but if somebody skipped that step, they left it for you to do. If the inside of the box is clean, and the fins still won't fit, then you have to sand the fin base. If this is the case, it may have been caused when the fin boxes were set, and the resin got too hot, expanded, and squeezed the box. I've seen this happen many times, especially with epoxy... a big sloppy hole and too much resin, especially without filler or pigment to absorb some of the heat, will create too much exotherm and deform the box. Sometimes it will force the box right up out of the routed hole. If you're board's a brand new Firewire, then this was probably the problem.

If it's a board you've used before, and the new fins don't fit, it's the fins, not the boxes, that need attention. A file will work, like you've seen, but the best thing is a flat sanding block with 80 or 100 grit. That way the base gets taken down evenly along it's length. A file can result in some unevenness.

Whenever this happens, no matter what the cause, and your fin is stuck in the box, be very careful pulling on the fin. You can begin to delaminate the area around the fin. Always better to tap than pull, and a LITTLE penetrating lube won't hurt anything. A rubber mallet or well padded hammer and a few light taps always do the trick.

19. live4truth

Feb 9, 2007
    LBC we should sticky some of your posts for future reference...

20. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    You should've checked the boxes on a new board for excess resin before you even put the fins in (although most noobs make that mistake)...but once your fin got stuck and you pulled it out, not scrutinizing the fin box is unforgivable. Proceeding to sand the fins without inspecting the boxes is just stupid.

this is why I don't buy used fins...you never know what people have done to them.