The every subject thread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by MFCondor, Feb 2, 2014.

1. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    heres a subject: golf sucks, seaworld sucks, surfing discussion sucks, the admins suck, banning people sucks, no waves suck, not being able to talk **** sucks, I cant laugh without the old forum, I hate the internet now what else is there in my life?

Don't agree with life these days? Do something else or go live in southern utah. pussies

2. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I like your input, you said enough to keep this thread going for a while!

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  4. whynot

whynot Active Member

Nov 13, 2013
    I'd like to add to the every subject to share an infraction email I received for responding to a video link in the same thread it was posted. :confused: I was trying to use satire to point out the problems with the satire in the man-bites-shark satirical article. I thought it was a thoughtful & playful response. Apparently it was off topic, or maybe it wasn't the right political stance. I hope it's not censored in this all-topics thread.

Good thread. You guys are good.

5. whynot

whynot Active Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Dear whynot,

You have received an infraction at Swellinfo Surf Forums.

Reason: Hijacking Threads - Off Topic
    -------

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216659
    Warning: This message brought to you by a whistle-blowing red who cares about the living things in the ocean, from the great blue whale to algae; a whistle-blower who respects the word of Mr. Jacques-Yves Cousteau: "“For most of history, man has had to fight nature to survive; in this century he is beginning to realize that, in order to survive, he must protect it.”

A quick lesson for the boys and girls: Satire is the use of humor combined with a critical attitude to raise awareness or bring about social change (usually focusing on a problematic issue). Let's think for a minute about the targets of satire in this sloppy little piece: activists…specifically activists who have taken radical steps to save our aquatic friends (whales, sharks, etc.) from the unsustainable and unethical practices (overfishing, drag-netting, toxic waste dumping, oil spilling, etc.) of the most problematic and self-destructive species on the blue planet. Let's have a ridiculous situation (bro bites shark), and then use exaggeration, irony, & absurdity (regular tools in satire) in a way that makes activists look like they are overreacting to our environmental problems and our general lack of respect for nature. Anyone who spends anytime in the ocean knows we've got problems worth fighting for, and that big money and greed are serious forces to be reckoned with.

Just a little something to think about so we're not just a bunch of yahoos reading Maxim and cranking tunes in the parking lot before and after we enjoy waves in the ocean we rely on for life & recreation (the ocean we trash).

After sharing those thoughts, I'd like to point out that there's some beautiful satirists & poets in these SI threads that do a great job combining humor with a critical attitude to attack the commercialization of surfing. That's the only reason I read these threads. That and to get feedback from different people about what wetsuit will best match the Go Pro I have on my thruster for those knee-high east coast summer beach breaks I know so well.
    All the best,
    Swellinfo Surf Forums

6. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013

This is the very reason I made this thread!!!! Turning out to work nicely.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Now we're talkin'......get some Hate rollin'

8. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Yah, good call on the thread Nick, seriously. I feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame bellowing, "SANCTUARY!! SANCTUARY!!"

9. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    Not to much- our morale will have to be secured via lockout.

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Man I can't wait to eat this avocado I have for lunch today.

11. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    C'mon Seen, an Avocado? That's your entire lunch? I just ate a bowl of venison chilli and half a red box of girl scout cookies. You know, the chocolate/peanut butter ones? Mini-golfing while toasted is fun. Never played a hole of the real thing.

12. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Hahahaha nah dude I also had a salami and cheese sandwich, some trail mix and a clementine. But thinking of venison chili is making me hungry again. Agreed on the mini-golfing, and never played the real thing either, although I sneak onto the course near my house to walk the Phin.

Chavez you strike me as the kind of guy that appreciates fine cutlery...I'm thinking I need to add a neck knife to my collection. Any recommendations? I want one that I can wear under a shirt.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    http://forthenrycustomknives.com/shop/product-category/custom-knives/doug-stice/

14. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Man... Am I the only one that's been on this site for multiple years without an infraction? I must be a real Nancy Boy... Not that I want one, but I've never been very careful with my posts...

15. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    That is a very nice blade, thanks for the link kind sir. Gonna treat myself come tax time. I only own guns b/c I have to, but knives I get all giddy over.

Nah give it time SCREWBY, it'll happen eventually.

16. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    This one has treated me well.
    CRKT S.P.E.W.
    [​IMG]

A couple of tips:
    Use one of those dog tag chains instead of paracord. It lays flatter to your chest
    For more concealment go with something with only the knife steel as the handle.

17. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Awesome, much appreciated, now I have a couple options. Good input on the tips too, will definitely take that into consideration.

As an aside, imo, this exemplifies the benefits of non-surf related discussion with like-minded folks. Thanks fellers.

18. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That's not a knife. This is a knife.

dundee.jpg

19. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
  20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    This little gem is always in my side pocket: