earthquake in Ocean City, MD

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by SI_Admin, Feb 6, 2014.

1. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

I saw on facebook people were talking about feeling an earthquake in Ocean City, MD. Can anyone confirm this?

2. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

3. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Maybe it was aliens, and their supersonic technology.

4. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Roy Stuart getting spit out of a barrel in New Zealand. People felt it everywhere.

5. SteveO

SteveO Active Member

Dec 4, 2013
  6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    dudes we have had supersonic jet fighters of something flying close to land here causing the whole houses to shake like a earch quake every so often no one knows what it is,but its coming from the sky.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Careful! Simod42 will nail you for trolling for this post.

Surf's Up. Even for aliens.

8. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm sure Chich must have a good explanation... Gubmint did it. You Essay!!!

9. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    USGS doesn't show anything. BUT a site from a country that doesn't have exceptionalisms has this. look at the west coast. that place must vibrate constantly.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php?area=usa&lang=eng

says this,
    Event date: 07:31:34 PM 06/02/2014
    Event: Unusual geological event
    State: State of Maryland
    Area:
    City: Ocean City
    Short details: Seismologists are working to determine the source of earthquake-like tremors reported by Ocean City residents before noon Thursday. "We have had reports that people felt tremors," said an Ocean City ...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  10. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Really intense across from Assateague at my house. Glasses rattling, windows shaking and the cat freaked out. Loud rumble followed by 5-10 seconds of shaking. I though it was a rocket launch at Wallops so ran to the front door to look but didn't see anything.

11. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    (ready to rumble?)

this time of year the ponies at assateague will stampede in 'mare disputes'.

12. wilmshark

wilmshark Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    obviously it was was the earth-moving stoke shared between PJB and retracR while simultaneously shredding belmar 23 footers

13. still stoked

still stoked Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Could have been the Navy playing games offshore. I've heard and felt similar rumbles a couple of times over the years at AI but I doubt what I felt could have rattled glasses.

14. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    The first thing I thought of was a boom, either from a rocket or a jet. But it was a rolling rumble with peaks and valleys and it lasted so long. Even my window blinds were swaying. Never felt anything like that around here.

15. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Just read this:

Confirmed: Sonic Boom Caused Tremors In Ocean City
    Posted: Feb 06, 2014 2:55 PM EST
    Updated: Feb 06, 2014 5:38 PM EST
    By Bill Mich - email

Also on the Web
    WBOC Facebook Page

OCEAN CITY, Md. and SUSSEX COUNTY, Del.- Naval Air Station Patuxent confirms that 2 flights conducted off the Atlantic Coast caused the sonic boom heard over MD's Eastern Shore.

Earlier on Thursday, emergency management officials have received numerous reports of tremors in Ocean City and coastal Sussex County, Del., but both a federal and a Maryland agency did not show an earthquake having occurred. There have been no reports of damage.

SU Professor of Geology Dr. Tom Cawthern said to be able to identify an earthquake, the seismic activity needs to show up in various locations.

"This is one bit of information. This is one seismograph from one discreet location. If we pull together all of the seismographs from say the South Central part of the US or even in the North East, we should also see those data in those seismograms as well," said Cawthern.

The reports of the tremors, also described as "shaking," starting coming to Ocean City officials, the Maryland Emergency Management Agency, and the Sussex County Emergency Operations Center and in social media postings about noon on Thursday.

Ocean City officials posted on the town's Facebook page that residents also reported hearing a loud boom. Similar reports were posted by viewers on WBOC's Facebook page.

"Any time you get a sonic boom say, you are compressing the air and that air is, if you are directly under the flight pass of that jet that's gone super sonic, then you would expect that compressed air to have some sort of surface that you're on," said Cawthern.

16. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Back in the mid 90s there was a "rogue wave" - 17 foot high - that hit Daytona Beach on a flat day! You can drive on the beach, and sunbathe next to your parked car. People were swept underneath their cars by the surge. No storm, no earthquake, although it was credited to shifting sands. I call BS!!! It was obviously the armed forces testing something or another. Keepin' 'Merica safe! God Bless Freedom! And the U.S. Armed Forces. Charlie don't surf. We are soooo lucky.

17. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I work right by Assateague. We get sonic booms quite often...it rattles the windows at the shop every time. This one was different...it started out slow and got really strong and fizzled out. It wasn't quick, but extended for maybe 10 seconds. It was quite strange sensation compared to other ones we normally feel. One soon followed after that one. I knew it wasn't an earthquake because the clothes we had hanging would sway, which happened when we had that quake near dc a year or 2 ago.

18. SurfJdog

SurfJdog Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    it was a meteor breaking apart in the atmosphere