Thinking of taking a trip up to Maine in May and need suggestions

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by lipride20, Feb 26, 2014.

1. lipride20

lipride20 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2012
    I really want to go on a camping/surfing trip up in Maine this year. I was thinking May would be the best time for me because it's right when I end school and hopefully there would be some spring swell leftovers. I was thinking of york because it seems like there are good camping options near the beach. My biggest concern is wave quality in york. I'm definitely expecting small waves, but would it still be fun on a mini simmons or fish? Also is long sands my best bet for waves or are there other fun spots?

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Stay as far away as you can from the barns up there.

3. lipride20

lipride20 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2012
  4. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Very sound advice right here. Especially if you are a latex dummy!

5. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    If you hear the words parallel profile run.

6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    It's easy to get caught in the overgrown vines up there.

7. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity bug 'ya. it IS ok to ask. i don't want to out any spots but
    i can tell you we family-camped in freeport at the 'recompense shore compound at wolves neck farm'
    which is a marvelous oceanfront farm. on the west side at the bridge you can catch southerly swell
    from the bay hitting an outgoing tide which produces a standing wave thats a blast to sup or kayak.

8. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    I think you'll be fine in York. It's a little less quaint than other towns, but you'll be close to several breaks. York, Ogunquit (might be the best beach break in So. ME), Kennebunk, etc. Kittery has some spots too, and a nice downtown and restaurant scene.

I'll be the nice guy. The warnings being issued to you are pokes at one of our favorite contributors who hails from York. He's a wild man. If you have a few spare hours search for Charles Taylor.

9. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    It's not a bad spot to go to considering all the other breaks nearby, NH included. It's a nice wide beach so people are spread out too. There's a killer spot nearby that only works on really specific conditions once in a blue moon, and when it does it will be locals only. If you don't mind driving a little there a good spots even further north like Goose Rocks and Old Orchard. Unless you're looking at a spring swell a longboard may be your best bet. Maine could potentially offer the best waves on the East Coast if Cape Cod wasn't in the way.

10. SurfLIs

SurfLIs Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi All- I currently live in Long Island and may be exploring a job opportunity in southern Maine. Trying to get an idea on consistency of surf is and hoping i can still get my share of good waves up there. Would appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks!

11. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I actually received an infarction for this from Simod666. Are you kiddn me Micah...?!

The guy in Maine, our lil chucka-boo-boo, posts vines on this forum of him beating a latex dummy in a Maine barn while shrieking "yankee" over & over. I don't complain; I believe it's freedom of speech, and besides who cares, really?

Well, apparently this Stalin-esque Simod666 character is deeply offended because he's running around playing traffic cop on a surfing forum. EH....?

I issue a warning to the dood to stay away from said barns. Uh, there's a connection there, right...? Between boo-boo beating latex dummies, threatening other humans & posting vines in re; said activity...?

And I get the infarction for trolling...? Welcome to the funhouse, where the mirrors ARE the reality kidz.

Lighten up, Francis, whoever the fug you are. You are abusing your authority; in particular the anonymous gutless way you go about it is un-American & fairly chicken shiiiite.

You'll probably ban me for telling the truth, but get real: you go around hiding behind your cloak of anonymity imposing your totally incorrect infarctions on your whims.

This thread was actually witty, with several funny posts by several long-time posters based on the history of this forum. Until you stepped in & took a large dump of abused authority on all of us.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  12. Lipsmacker

Lipsmacker Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Preach on Brotha. Freeeeeeeedom!

13. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    This court is clearly out of order.

Yankee's concise & stinging one liners are easily some of the finest and most humorous posts to staple this here telephone pole.

Restricting them is not only offensive to our sense of humor, but also pointless. There is no good without evil, there are no waves without flatnesss, there is no Chuck without Yankee.

14. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    It's a shame this break is full of stick brokers, stock brokers and subsistence farmers when a public defender or two could really come in handy here with the slander on one of the Made Men of SI. I'd also ask that a corporate attorney come out of the woodwork pronto to protect our valuable intellectual property in this thread because, as yankee said, there has been some quality stuff here on this string.

FLY A BANNER FOR PRO BONO SURF FORUM REPRESENTATION

15. Chuck'd

Chuck'd Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Long sands in York is my go to beach. Its about 3 miles in lenght and offers great variety. There area endless peaks on this 3 mile strip of beach and pending on tide, wind and swell direction you could find yourself at different locations. If your feeling lucky you can try battle the rocks at the lobster cove area to the south or just take it easy up by the bath house by the surf shop.

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Damn yank, an infarction for that??? Just when I though the ship had righted itself to a degree.

17. shorebreaker

shorebreaker Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Not too sure about the surfing aspect of it, but I went up to Maine a few times to camping with the family... Go to BA-HA-BA aka Bar Harbor. Yes, it's a little touristy but the town is absolutely beautiful. I would say stay somewhere just outside of Bar Harbor, there are plenty of campgrounds up in that area... One of the main reasons there's lots of campgrounds in that area is Acadia National Park, which is worth the trip on its own. The national park has everything from lakes, to rivers, to oceans, to mountains... So much to do in the area of the national park and Bar Harbor. Give it a shot. Let us know how it goes.

18. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    I agree 100%, but if surfing is a priority you'll be out of luck. I think any breaks they have are hard to find and hard to reach...need a kayak, etc. No beach breaks to speak of.

19. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Yep I got an infraction fro agreeing with Yankee's comment!

20. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Acadia beach break

There is at least one beach break within the park - its the only public beach type beach
    and DOES BREAK but…..you knew there was a but….its hyper swell-direction sensitive.
    super spot, a river mouth with TONS of tourists and not so much parking...:D