Surfers and drugs

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Big meth problem on the north shore, don't you love it when methed out dudes paddle into the line up? He'll I bet most of you smoke. Probably quite a bit alcoholics. I mean we get labeled enough as is. Do y'all think it's a problem?

2. Radderbsurfin

Radderbsurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    It's only a problem when you run out of whatev you're doin.

3. gnargnarshredda

gnargnarshredda Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    nope, let'em smoke meth, heroin, crack, whatever. Eventually they will OD and the problem will sort itself out. More barrels for me

4. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Weed and surfing seem to go hand in hand.

5. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    there's no Ice in Paradise brother - Dog

but for real you're right. I've always wished someone would write a legit tell-all about the drug/surf lifestyle out there. dudes like AI clearly struggled with addiction for a long time but no one ever said anything as those pro's were coddled like children.

Flea was pretty open about his Ice addiction, so far as saying he's surfed Mav's meth'd out of his mind.

6. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Ebeneezer, is that you?

7. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    As did alot of other drugs. Some of the biggest surf companies around had their roots in drug smuggling back in the day. Shapers used to smuggle drugs in hollowed out boards around the world. Drugs and dealers are rampant on the North Shore still, as in many surf towns around the globe. It's the "sports" dirty laundry for sure. Hence, the popular American media representations of surf culture.

8. ihatelongboarders

Dec 13, 2007
    the Allan Weisbecker book, In Search of Capt Zero portrayed the whole drug running thing pretty thoroughly.

Tom Carrol has recently spoken about his meth addiction as well. very interesting interview. [video=youtube_share;ZE7oxhE1yaA]http://youtu.be/ZE7oxhE1yaA[/video]

9. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I have been very fortunate to never get involved and really never saw a problem with drugs when I was a kid. Maybe once in a while at a party, a dope smoker here and there but that's it. All my surfer buds drank a bit but never even smoked dope. Not sure if it's a prevalent problem among surfers, but maybe so. As with many sports, drugs can be a significant problem. Maybe the surfing/hippie culture created the ora of surfing and drugs...guess it has stuck a little. That stuff is bad news...just look around all those well known folks who have fallen from drugs. You got a problem, addiction, better get help or it will catch up to you progressively...in a bad way.

I know I was floored when I heard about Tom Carroll. Couldn't believe it. Got his act together now. If you ever have a chance, read up about him.

10. ihatelongboarders

Dec 13, 2007
    Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ have some of the highest rates of heroin addiction currently in the USA. it's a different world for sure then when i grew up.

11. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Funny, brilliant minds think alike! Just posted about big Tom.

12. jbavguy

jbavguy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    The stoke we get from surfing, (sponging, snow ridin', whatever your into) is a natural high. It your body's release of adrenaline and endorphins to a stimulus. Its why we feel the way we do and will never give this lifestyle up. Nothing else compares to that natural high.

That being said, it can be viewed that the "adrenaline junky" mentality is practically a gateway to substance abuse. I smoke weed daily, tripped balls for years in my 20's, bingemeister (past) and beer aficionado to date. I chase the high I get from a sick sesh any way I can when nature wont provide. Gotta have a swerve on, know what I mean.

ICE aint my thing, but I get how it is for some. Agro-surfer=ICE whereas Soul-surfer=WEED. Not a rule, but a pretty good generalization. Whatever flavor your style so goes your poison. If your poison is stronger than you; you loose. That Demon will eat you alive.

It doesn't help that surfing has always been a fringe culture / counter culture. Freedom and expression are at its core. it aligns very well with drug culture and operate in the same realm. Sadly the only cure to that is unthinkable..... (another time)

The plus side to DRUGS in SURFING is that if you are hooked on the surfing life, and live it; well then you know this ain't easy unless you love it. In my case, NY/NJ winters are a ***** and not for the faint of heart. It takes mental and physical toughness combined with dedication to do what we do. It take serious life choices to put yourself in a position for life to make room and time for when mother nature calls with a swell. This lifestyle builds mental toughness IMO. It allows me to work and play harder than most people I know. I prefer to keep my demons as pets, and bring them out to play when called for ;o).

Drugs in surfing a problem? Not for Me.

How bout you?

Live and let live, bud. To each their own.
    No judgments here. That's what family, friends, and your soul are for.

BTW If any a-hole wants to drop a "JESUS SAVES ALL" just OD now please.

13. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    The only dangerous amount is none.

Drugs wouldn't have a mystical draw if it wasn't for the outlaw mystique. legalize everything, Darwin will sort it out and then we can move one.

14. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Hey we must be twins!
    How about hallucinogenics? A little mind expansion is a good thing for those with a grip.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. gnargnarshredda

gnargnarshredda Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I'd be slammin H too if I lived in jersey. I just don't get the whole allure of meth. I've done my fair share of yayo but rarely sought it out. On the other hand, saying I've smoked my fair share of ganja is a grotesque understatement. I don't do drugs anymore. I just like to smoke pot and eat the occasional mushroom.

16. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    It's so disappointing to see surfers living up to the stereotype. Admit it, we're mostly a bunch of retards. We like good times. I've watched plenty of guys do tons of drugs and surf their azzes off for years. That can work for a while while you're young. But after a while, everyone hits the wall. Druggie habits catch up and they eventually become addicts or just lose the stoke to surf like they used to. Some people I know have died. Very very sad and gets you angry. The fortunate ones usually kick everything except for some w33d and/or drinking, and they continue on with surfing. Usually family and/or a real job whips them into shape. AKA: Growing-up. I think I fall into that category, somewhat, but I am a pretty clean living dork for the most part and am proud of it. I've been surfing since 1988 and I have no intention to quit unless my body just can't do it anymore. And in order to keep surfing through the winters, I live a pretty clean life. Don't get me wrong, I like to have my fun and drink a six pack too many every once in a while. BUT, I would always take an early AM mediocre surf over an all night glorious booze binge. I've been operating under that premise since I was a kid and always will.

17. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    ...and other countries as well

everybody thinks peru is all coked out but i can honestly tell you coke fiends were few
    and far between when i was there....the better idea was to carry da stuff which i didn't....their
    surf culture seems to avoid the issue...prolly sensitive about the fact...

18. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Uh, yeah you do drugs, technically. LOL.

19. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I watched this go down first hand! Some kid from my HS (CNHS) was stealing his Dr. Daddy's script pad and selling them to a bunch of my friends... He got caught, my friends couldn't get their Oxy's, so Heroin is the next best thing. That was almost 10 years ago. I see a friend of a friend die on FB every other week. Its absolutely sickening.

I never got caught up in it, and my advice to all you little terd nuggets on here, DONT DO DRUGS. It will ruin your life in a split second. It only takes that one time!

20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Nice 4th post, well said. gnargnar same to you, spot on.