Great White Off VB

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DosXX, Mar 27, 2014.

1. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  2. Dune

Dune Well-Known Member

May 7, 2013
    Just think every time you think you're alone in the water most likely there is a shark within 300ft, no doubt.

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I'd rather not think about that when I'm out there. You'll make yourself nuts.
    Which do you find "spookier" (not sure that's the right word), clear water, when you can see what's below and around you a little ways, or murky water? Or does it even matter? I'm used to murky water; so about a month ago when the water was so clear off VB, it was a bit different experience. It's like, I'd rather not know/see if something big is swimming under or near me.

4. Yewnorksurfsux

Yewnorksurfsux Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Perfect timing for jaws that's how they do. A bit of a reminder it is that time. Cold water.

5. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    When the movie first came out in June 1975, it was a big hit, and everyone was talking about it. I was taking SCUBA diving lessons from a Redondo Beach (CA) dive shop at the time. My friends would ask, "Aren't you afraid of running into Jaws out there?"

6. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    there's a great white in the Atlantic ocean....no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

7. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I'd rather be out with sharks than bluefish.

8. Dune

Dune Well-Known Member

May 7, 2013
    I would guess murky water, but im so use to it too that its just the same its when im out there then a bird dives right beside me and I turn all karate mode and sh*t.

9. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Yup, Blues are some nasty phvkers.

I personally prefer clear water... except for when I get a little freaked seeing a shadow moving through the water... then realizing it's just a small cloud moving across the sun.

Last year in one of the comps I found myself in a school of rays during a heat. This was in CB, so the water was moderately murky... all I saw was dark brown in the corner of my eye heading right for me, the ray in the lead obviously wasn't paying attention because it almost ran into my thigh, did a quick turn-around and freaked out the rest of the school which started splashing water all over the place. It only lasted about a second, but I almost jumped out of the water... powered by a streak of brown...

10. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Total and complete nonsense.(as far as white sharks go). Go to seal island where that is actually true(a white shark within 300 feet most of the time) and see how long you last before getting attacked. lol

11. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    **** yes! been bitten (mostly on my hand...they seem drawn to the reflection off the watch face) by blues during pre-work dawn patrols many a time, but have had very, very few negative interactions w/ sharks in the line up...& much rather surf clear water as the majority of shark attacks are cases of "mistaken identity"...if it's easier for US to see THEM, then the same goes in reverse. less likelihood of ending up foot in (shark's) mouth.

12. TheSweetLife

TheSweetLife Member

May 19, 2013
    I much prefer clear water.....And im fairly certain the ping is from a Sandbar Shark, not a great White. Not to worry everyone.

13. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    one time in so jersey i'm sittin outdaback waiting for a set when i and my board rose up 2 or 3 ft and then set
    back down. there were no swells at the time…but up then down i went….looking to the other guys for
    confirmation i received none. who knows but it could have been…..

14. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    itt the sissy boys out themselves

15. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Bluefish suck. Like the piranha of the ocean when they get into a feeding frenzy. I always double check that any rings come off the fingers before I go in, no flashy stuff.

Rather have clear water but rarely get that here.

Great story about the rays Erock.

16. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That story is pretty funny. The guy on the boat said he was nervous because he was in a 19' boat and he thinks a big shark is in the area. That's a dude that saw Jaws too many times and thinks a white is going to attack his boat. Hopefully he had some scuba tanks and a rifle.
    He should be way more worried about weather and engine problems on a 19' boat. That's a long way out for such a small boat. I've been out 35 miles on a 21' boat and you feel real small and insignificant.

17. Ripcurrent

Ripcurrent Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Every time I surf I feel like there is some species of shark near me, kinda spooky but not scared out of the water by it

18. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Bingo! We had a 24' deep V with cabin, bimini, curtains, designed for ocean fishing and my Dad was very experienced on the water. Still we were very cautious venturing the 25miles or so to the gulf stream out of Hatteras. Even keeping a constant eye and radio on the weather didn't keep us from getting into some hairy stuff. You get a t-storm blow up out of nowhere and its still gonna take you hours to get in and will take you 3x as long as it took you to get out. 40 miles out in a 19' (prob a center console)? No freaking way. Coast guard is great and mad props to those guys but no guarantee they will get to you in time or even find you.

Stupid is as stupid does.

19. jasorod

jasorod Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, like the comment at the bottom of the article that says:

19' boat + 40 miles offshore = US Coast Guard

20. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    u.s.c.g. rocks

:cool:
    its nice to have them. other places dont have 'em or they are a poor copy.....this duck
    hunter knows we are lucky to have 'em. :)