4/3 yet in Jersrey?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ocsurf32, Apr 4, 2014.

1. toasteroven

toasteroven Member

Mar 31, 2012
    I've been wearing a 4/3 since late feb.. If the air temps are above 35-40, i'm in it. Mutant 4/3 with attached hood 5mm boots and gloves.. I'll surf for a solid 2 hours before any chills come along.. longer if the waves are consistent.

2. Surfin_nj

Surfin_nj Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I'm still gonna wear my winter suit tomo with 7mil boots and 5mil gloves

3. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Me too. Chill will NEVER set in for me. I'll get out when either my arms or the waves quit, but not because of a chill.

4. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    thats my pick for today. two days ago i surfed sojersey with a bud who had a 4/3 on, he said no prob.....

5. wave.dave

wave.dave Active Member

Nov 27, 2011
    It depends on your tolerance. Have worn a high quality 4/3 with a 1 mil vest (with attached hood) and rashguard underneath, 5 m gloves & boots all winter here in northern New England. Water still in upper 30's. The wind is the big issue.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    SI loves itself a wetty thread. Pretty sure that'll never change.

On the way to the break right now for ideal swell direction and tide timing with glass to light offshores. Gonna have a blast and walk off the beach after a better and more stoked surfer. Hope you cheddarbobs get the same today!

FLY A BANNER FOR ENDLESS SPRING SWELL

7. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i pondered wearing my 4/3 for my morning session today, but ended up going w/ the usual 5/4 w/ 3mil gloves & 5mil boots due to early morning air temps being low. 4/3 season is coming, but it's not here quite yet, i think.

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    thats how i went today and glad i did…i yearn for 4/3 season…but not yet if today an indication…in so jersey.

9. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    4/3 in 50 is nothing id go with a 5/4 in 40s

10. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    went 4/3 with 1 mil sleeveless vest and hood . 6/5/4 boots and 5 mil gloves. surfed 2, 3 hour sessions no problem. 4/3 season is here

11. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Ironically, one of my buddies that I surfed with this morning wore a 3/2 with hooded vest, 3 mil boots, one 3 mil 5 finger glove and one 5 mil lobster claw. He surfed 2 hours like that and was chilly the last 30 min.

I rocked my 6 mil and was toasty for 3 hours.

12. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I wore my 4/3 with long sleeve hooded shirt, lobster claw and boots. Was very comfortable. First time in the water since early december so didn't do so well surfing but it felt great to be in the water again.

13. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nope still need a 5 mil, 7 mil
    Boots, 5 mil gloves. Water is still freezing. Maybe even need a 6/5.
    Can get hypothermia if not in the right suit

14. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I've worn a Drylock 4/3 all winter here in NY. Mind you, it's only good for 2 hours or so, but as long as you have a decent hood, 7mm boots and mitts you should be fine now.

15. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    On top of my 4/3 today, I wore mustard colored skinny jeans with a SMF of Twisted Sister tank. Oh yeah, rocked a fedora with louvered shades too. Crocs over the boots.

In other news, I rebounded from getting skunked at dawn patrol by ultra short period by my best sesh of all time at the home break at sunset. Clean as hell brah. Mad rides on the 7'6. Carver is the truth.

We are hearing about all sorts of fashionable thermal surf wear but who the hell scored today?

16. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013

17. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    4/3 yesterday for me...lovein it!

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Agreed... Best waves I had were lefts yesterday morning. Just the way the sandbars were set up with the east swell angle. Most of the time it's closeouts at my local on an east swell, but the sand was set up nicely.

Wore 5 mil everything and was comfortable. Not too warm, and not too cold.

19. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Nice gear bro, I'm kind of jealous. I was going to wear my Def Leopord tank over my suit yesterday but I didn't want anyone to feel inferior.
    The surf was juicy and overhead in the morning, I took a couple beatings, but got some good ones too. It had some funk to it.
    Water- cold (40)
    4/3-no way

20. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    oh yea...had a great 2+ hr morning session at a spot light on the crowds. prob. a little smaller/less consistent where i surfed than at the "star bar", but a whole lot less hassling to deal w/. the lefts were where it was at, too. lots o' fun ones to be had. gave it up when the tide started getting too high & the wind cranked up. could've prob. grabbed another fun session in the late afternoon/evening, but i spent the rest of the day hanging & cruising around town w/ the wifey.