Belmar guards...

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Exit98, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    When the F do they get off duty this year??? It's 6:15 and I'm looking at the cams and they're not showing any signs of packing up...

2. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Here's a wild idea. Call the town and ask them rather than getting b.s. info on here.

3. banman

banman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down here in Carolina Beach we have guards on two shifts. Some stay until 5, others 7. Trucks and 4 wheelers stay on until 8. Probably something similar up there

4. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Shark Hunter in action: boogie3.jpg

5. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
  6. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    Damn man what happened? Sad to hear if you mean lost as in death.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thinking he means the guards couldn't get to a swimmer in time to save the guy...

The search for a swimmer who went missing in Carolina Beach has now turned into a search and recovery mission, according to Carolina Beach Ocean Rescue.

Lt. Spivey of the Carolina Beach Police Dept. said Terrance Christopher Miller was taken out by a rip current around 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. Officials said he was not swimming that far out in the ocean.

Simon Sanders, the Ocean Rescue Supervisor, said Miller is in his early 20's and from the Wilmington area.

According to Sanders, Miller was swimming near Texas Avenue between two lifeguard stands. Sanders said a lifeguard witnessed Miller go under and did not see him resurface.

Search efforts including approximately 20 lifeguards, three rescue boats, and a helicopter began almost immediately.

8. banman

banman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2013
    I was the actually the first guard who went in for the rescue. Saw the guy when I entered the water, when I got out he was gone. Guard in the stand saw a wave go over him and he never came back up

9. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    Yep I went and read the article. Sad day man.

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brutal sequence. Props to you, banman, for going out there very day to make it safer for all.

So, what happens.....does the guy go under, draw in water, choke, keep sinking, done? Not being glib here, just wondering how a person disappears so effing fast. No wonder the guards (the good ones) watch the ocean swimmers & waders like hawks from their perches.

Say what you will about the guards giving tickets & all of that, but frankly, they have a tough job to start with & it's made tougher by politics & stupid human beach behavior that is likely often influenced by drugs & alcohol.

11. banman

banman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks man I appreciate it.
    I didn't have eyes on when he went under, but the 2nd guard who was in my stand was advising over the radio and watching through the binos said he was swimming normally towards shore, wasn't "climbing the ladder" or anything, and when a wave broke over him he just never came back up...no way to know exactly why he didn't come up. It really freaked him out that this guy disappeared in a split second. As soon as the guy went under my other guard radioed for ems and rushed out, but we couldnt find him. Stayed out in the water for almost two hours searching the bottom, but to no avail.

12. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    these things happen and i know you guys did your best

i hate that it happened

13. banman

banman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah the older guards have been around when it has happened before, and we did all we could, but it really is the worst feeling in the world knowing this guy drowned while you were only 30 yards away. I always knew the ocean is powerful, but it makes you look at it differently after going through that.

14. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    I second this. Props to all those who risk their lives to save others.

15. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    in sea girt the grunt guards defer to the head guard who wins arguments by yammering about superstition.

16. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    booze and drowning kinda go together…..sad.

17. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Gonna third or fourth the props here. Wouldn't be surprised if alcohol were involved.

Hey banman, just out of curiosity, what were the conditions like when all of this occurred?

18. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Maybe the booze was involved, but there could be other factors involved that they wont know about until they find him... Just saying, its spring, its CB and there are plenty of big fish in the water. Very well could have received a tug and not come back up. Not saying he got swallowed whole, but to duck under a wave and not to re-appear, not to float or anything is mighty strange... Super sad though... You guards are fighting the good fight...

The conditions down here were insane. I surfed for about 2 hours yesterday, start at port royal and drifted south about 1.5 miles in less than 45 minutes. Then I had to walk my 9'3 up the beach with 30MPH north winds howling... The waves were super fun, about chest+ but there was water moving everywhere. Tons of people were still out in the water and I was just thinking, man this is going to be a nightmare for the guards today...

We actually got called out of the first stretch of beach we paddled out in. Teenage guy was like yeah, this is swim zone, yada yada, try down there... we walked down 100 yards and approach two hot young blonde guards. I said, you mind if we paddle out here and we just drift down. They replied, of course man, have fun... So the spirits were good with the guards and all in all, they were worried about the right things.

I will have to see how many rescues took place down here. I have NEVER seen the water so rough in the summer time. 81 degree water so EVERYBODY was up in it, even with all the turbulence....

So, if CB was anything like that, I could see some bad things happening.

19. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    We had light offshores yesterday morning, but there was a significant easterly drift...to the point where we all pretty much gave up fighting it, drifted and hit peaks along the way, and did the walk back up the beach. Which is weird b/c if there is any drift it's usually the opposite direction, maybe it was the East in the swell...anyway, water moving around, with chest high sets, and regular humans first beach day all added up can mean a bad time for some folks.

20. bbop1322

bbop1322 Active Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Always a sad day when someone loses their life