Rutgers or Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by surf05, Jun 1, 2014.

1. surfordie

surfordie Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Hawaii for sure!

2. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I moved to the east coast after all my edgamacation was over (other than frigerator man skoo). I know for a fact that if I grew up here, I'd be diplomaless.

3. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    dude I would not recommend going to Rutgers,especially in new Brunswick.first off,if ur an out of towner,meaning u live in east Brunswick, or even milltown,u will get ur azz kicked in new Brunswick.they are a different breed there.not to mention they have the highest std rating in all of America.I lived a few blocks from the campus,it looks cool from the streets seein everyone pass by,but going off of people I knew who went there,well to say the least they are still unemployed,in debt,and have no clue what they are going to do.but I know a lot of people who wasted away their education.if u have a good head on your shoulders and actually plan to study and make something of ur life,then id go to college anywhere but Rutgers.my 1 buddy went to asu or whatever that college is in Arizona,supposedly the party capital of America.well idk what he did there,hes from nj,and hes a Pollack,he knocked up a girl from seattle,currently owns a bar in Brooklyn,and is a full time alcoholic.he originally wanted to be an airline pilot until he flipped a car drunk and lost that chance.

education is the most important thing in life.it sounds corny but unless u want to sweep floors or hammer sheet metal for a living making 12 bucks an hour,I highly advise going to college.I didn't have that chance,I dropped out of school,joined the army,got my ged,and here I am lol.I was going to go to college,some small bootleg one,but Christie signed some bill to shut down low income schools.it was a travesty,id spit in christies face if I ever met that phatphuk but shyt happens.I actually joined the army because I was brainwashed to believe they pay for your college when u get out,complete bs,not true at all.oh yea and fly anywhere in the world for a dollar,that was another lie I was sold.u like surfing,cool we have a base on Oahu,ever hear of pipeline?the list does not end,go to college,fuk the service and make something of ur life

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Unless you get into Woods Hole in Falmouth, or Scripps in San Diego, or maybe The U ( University of Miami ), there is no shame in getting a four year degree in marine biology at UofH. Get lots of practical field experience on your resume out there, and do some kind of vlog, and you'll have lots of cred to get into the grad school of your choice. Just work your ass off on research vessels in between surf sessions and class. You'll be a much better person and you can thank me later.

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I thought University of California, Santa Barbara was the STD capital of American Universities, with STDSU, I mean San Diego State a close second.

6. reefscar

reefscar Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Hawaii= good surf year round, world class in the winter, good University, great location, warm weather, shorts/bikini/tan year round. Negative is family and friends withou motivation to move are left behind.

NJ=inconsistent surf, goos in the fall, better (?) School, seasons, friggin cold, pasty dry winter skin, you can always say: "I ALMOST moved to Hawaii" and you can be like everybody else who stayed home.

7. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah man, this is a loaded question on this site. Head West Young Man... Head West... If you have an interest in science and marine biology, you would be able to spend time, in the field, throughout the duration of your studies in Hawaii. My buddy who works for NOAA just moved out there, and he tells me how he spends EVERYDAY in the water before, sometimes during and after work... There is nothing like being able to learn and apply in your surroundings.

And UH@Monoa = what, 10 city blocks to the beach, with waves...

Rutgers, New Brunswick, what an HOUR drive to the beach? I know its about 15 minutes from the bay there, but wtf are you going to do in the bay from September - May. NOTHING.

And like the other dude said, don't be that guy that "almost" went to Hawaii, or CA. Do it. Do you want to spend you weekend in a parka, freezing your arse off playing beer pong with a bunch of nerds, or do you want to spend your free time ALL school year in tropical, wave rich waters taking short breaks on the beach and watch as$ and titties bounce around... Invest in a nice pair of shades, with big lense and don't crane your neck too hard when smoking hot tail trots by. Quick looks. Don't stare.

8. surf05

surf05 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    **** you guys are amazing. I wish I could quote all of the posts that really helped or made me laugh my @ss off but there are too many of them. Like Zach said it probably was kind of a loaded question, but hearing so many people actually recommend Hawaii definitely made me see the light. I'm for sure leaning towards Hawaii right now, but I'm gonna take a few more days. Whatever I decide I'll be sure to you all know. Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

9. ad5x

ad5x New Member

Feb 4, 2014
    When it was my time to decide on a school, I was between a university with a prestigious name and a university that was likely to give me a wealth of amazing experiences. I chose the latter university, which not only gave me the most amazing experiences of my life, but also led me to the interests and passions that have made living each and every day since a true gift. Go with Hawaii brother, life is too short to not take the adventurous route that could lead you to the life that you want to live, rather than the life that you have to live.

10. reefscar

reefscar Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I gotta agree with ad5x and zach619. Having lived in Hawaii for 20+ years and NJ for 20+ years, and now in CA for 4+ years, (yeh, I'm that old) I'd take HI over any of them hands down. Truly good times growing up in NJ. But, I don't regret leaving one bit. The first month I was in Hawaii and a solid 10' face swell hit (5' Hawaiian) and it stayed that way for a week solid I was hooked. Long period, groomed, lines to the horizon for a week -doesn't get much better. And, generally in the winter another swell is not far behind. If you do go to college at UH, go early and give yourself a solid 2 weeks or more to get acclimated to the island before classes start. Don't just rush into school. Drive around, check out North Shore off season before the pros show up for the winter. Go dive Waimea Bay when its flat. Frankly, go dive as many spots as you can when its flat. Its not like NJ and learning the reef from underwater makes a big difference and can be a life saver.

11. Surfin_nj

Surfin_nj Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    if you want to stay in new jersey go to monmouth. its close to the shore and a good education

12. Tuono

Tuono Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I'd say get your head straight regarding whatever your major is going to be before you sign up for the tab. Politics, Asian stuff, marine biology..what else sounds good? Get that one down. Manoa (and other schools on the island) graduate plenty of marine biology students every year and the program is likely good. If you do decide to go there, get there early and get used to the campus and the island set up. There will be plenty of kids form elsewhere ready to peel stickers and paddle at bowls, no worries, and it won't be hard to get the surfing thing going (but I would bet you won't surf nearly as much as someone may think you will, at least not the first year, not to mention if you don't have a car). If you never been there it will likely change your whole idea of surfing and surfing lifestyle. It can turn either way...
    Definitely a good place to hang out when you are in school and money is coming from elsewhere. Your decision should come to your ambition. No one knows it but you. I chose my school part out of lifestyle, part education. Sometimes I still wonder what would have other choices been like.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014