RI vs NJ for SPONGERS

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by RILongboarder, Jun 7, 2014.

1. RILongboarder

RILongboarder Active Member

May 31, 2014
    These are my types of waves that I like to ride.
    img_4918.jpg
    img_4815.jpg
    LI yesterday
    LI).jpg

Hey, my name might be longboarder, but I've converted to sponging. ;) Anyway, one weakness I notice about RI is the lack of good beach breaks. People think we have a lot of breaks, but the vast majority are rock bottom crappy mushy/slow waves. Seriously, point judith is basically almost complete mush with scattered boulders everywhere where you can crack your head open if you fall. Matunuck might be hollow, but it's a low speed wave with a very shallow drop wave that is meant for longboarding. Not a good wave for sponging. The beach breaks around here are super fickle without any real pattern. Sure they can get good. But they can also go extended periods of time sucking even with good winds/solid swell on them. And on top of it there's only a few in the whole state. You could spend all day checking each beach break in the entire state driving in circles and never find a high quality non closeout A-frame breaking NOT shorepounding like in those pics during a normal 4 feet at 9 seconds swell event. Trust me I've done it in search of good sponging waves. Lots of gas wasted without scoring on multiple occations

I'm wondering if any of the spongers or short boarders find NJ to be a lot better as long as you're willing to drive and check breaks? I'm thinking since you have MILES of beach break that sand bars form in different spots?

What's the verdict? NJ or RI for sponging?

2. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    Also, most of our beach breaks NEVER get as good as in those pics. Many of them close out too much, some shorepound, some lack speed(first beach) and lack steepness.

3. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Still ripping off other people's pictures, I see. What happened, did you get tired of pulling YouTube videos of spongers at Teahupoo?

Don't forget to drop about 87 names of spongers that you don't know personally.

4. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    unprovoked attack. On top of it. I never claimed they were MY pictures. The guy wawa something uploaded them today on THIS site!

5. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    "Anyway, one weakness I notice about RI is the lack of good beach breaks. People think we have a lot of breaks, but the vast majority are rock bottom crappy mushy/slow waves. Seriously, point judith is basically almost complete mush with scattered boulders everywhere where you can crack your head open if you fall. Matunuck might be hollow, but it's a low speed wave with a very shallow drop wave that is meant for longboarding."

PLEASE make posters, fliers, t-shirts, ANYthing that says this on it and begin handing them out. To Anyone and Everyone. Get on the local news. Get vocal! Be an activist! You shouldn't have to stand for this and neither should Others! Get OUT there! Spread the word!
    Please...before...before it's too late.
    Don't take this lying down like you do everything else.
    Godspeed

6. Hayduke Lives

Hayduke Lives Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    That wasn't long. Glad to hear you still are afraid of the point and dont possess means of transportation to get anywhere in this state.

Hey were you the dude, sponging town beach yesterday around 7am?

7. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    No hayduke(emass). Every sponger you see in the water is not me. lol

8. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    What are you complaining about. You have one of the best longboards wave on the ec at matunuck.

9. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    Hayduke you were at town beach yesterday? Was it not close out city? Exactly what I'm complaining about on here.

10. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ^^^^^sounds like shart smeller, to me!!!!

11. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    Anyway, I'm done posting here. This is my final goodbye. The last thing I need is my IP blocked so I can't get the forecast. I will not be posting here anymore. My "friend" Shark-hunter's ban is a "timeout". Not permanent He will not be forming new names and will not be posting anymore. I've had it with the people on this forum. It's impossible to have a civil conversation. Quite sad.

12. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Come up with something decent to talk about instead of whining about how crappy your break is, gawd son, sounds to me like you just need to give it up, your not having fun LBing, your not having fun spounging, maybe you need to take up bmxing, or something along those lines.

13. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    word...he couldn't get enough

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    rhode island has excellent waves idk where the hell u are living.people travel all up and down the eastcoast to surf ruggles,someday I will too.u can sponge any wave u can surf.sponging is the most versatile way of riding a wave.u can go out and surf good waves,crappy waves,onshore,offshore,closeouts,etc.not the same as surfing,u cant surf closeouts on a board.

15. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Wasn't complaining...Damn. This was my vain attempt at humor through sarcasm. Aplologies.
    And there Was one guy at Point Judith yesterday on a bright white sponge, riding drop knee and Killing it smooth and fast, connecting Everything from the staircase through the middle. If that was you? Rad display.

16. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    You can ride knee high stuff better on a longboard. Yes you can ride closeouts on a bodyboard and a surfboard. Just ride straight in.

Just want to repond to this.
    1)Ruggles hardly ever truly turns on.(into the wave you're thinking of) It's not your weekly wave. Needs a macking hurricane swell. You know...the type you guys wish against because your summer homes in nj might get flooded once every 30 years. That's why we need need to build a breakwater covering the entire nj coast :rolleyes:

2)When it does turn on it's very dangerous because there are scattered boulders that are barely a foot underneath the water. You can sit on them be out of the water. I'm not riding double overhead(when rugs really comes alive) when the lip is breaking on rocks.

3)Ruggles is mushy. It's not a barrel like the pictures I posted. Don't get me wrong. A mushy point break is a ton of fun to ride. Fast mush is more fun that a barreling slow wave like matunuck when you're sponging. But still doesn't compare to those a-frames I posted.

Again when you start getting big long period stuff is when that wave comes alive. And then it becomes freight train that can do some real damage to you. I'm just looking to have fun. Not get nailed into rocks and break limbs.

I wish RI had a flat cobblestone rock bottom break with no scattered boulders like trestles out in California. A really fast fun wave. I wouldn't mind ruggles if it wasn't for the scattered boulders and the fact that it needs a big swell so it's not your average everyday wave. .

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  17. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
  18. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    I assume everyone is being aggro with me. Sorry.

19. RILongboarder

May 31, 2014
    To be honest, I don't think I could handle the epic nj swell video. I've never been in anything that big and hollow. That was double overhead beach break bombs. But the point remains the same