Repair advice

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by pickles, Jun 14, 2014.

1. pickles

pickles Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Well i was out in Montauk and it was way too crowded with long boarders. one guy ran over the back of my brand new board and his fin sliced through it like butter. the fin went through the rail, through the foam, through the fiberglass on both sides, through the foot pad and through the stringer to more than half way across the board. the fish tail is pretty complicated with a double concave on the bottom. it's a rusty dwart....

so is it worth fixing? how would i fix it? this is right where all my weight goes for turns...

2. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Picts of the massacre would help to figure it out!

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Man ... Bro... That doesn't sound good.... Well it didn't sound that bad until you mentioned the stringer and the traction pad. The pad will be hard to work around- and they are a pain to get off.. But the stringer is totally sliced?? If so you will have to some how sister the stringer to bring back the strength. That's fairly crucial..
    Otherwise I would just let the ding clean and fill it with q-cell and either glass or just paint with resin... That will be easy

4. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Take it to a local shaper and get a price.You can always sell it after he repairs it.

5. pickles

Feb 6, 2014
  6. pickles

Feb 6, 2014
    Yea, i don't want to get into a discussion about who's fault it was, cause then we start talking about long boarders versus short boarders and back paddling...just looking for opinions on fixing it or trashing it...thanks

7. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Ditto! Find best shaper ya can to fix it. Damn it was a shame with such a beautifully shaped new board. Was the guy in a red suit?........

8. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    That is horrible. Looks like he went straight for you. I guess he didnt jump off huh? Even if it was my fault I'd be wanting to fight if he hurt my baby like that.

9. santiago58

santiago58 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I hope you kicked his ASS!

10. ioman2

ioman2 Active Member

Oct 28, 2013
    If you get it repaired post up pics of the finished work.

11. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    that looks like the handy work or a certain titanium fin! lol.
    that ding does suck. I'd fix it, but thats just me.
    Also from the pic it doesnt look like it went through the stringer, at least on the bottom.

12. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
  13. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    That guy is an artist, I've seen some of his other repairs on YouTube. I wonder what he charges for that kind of fix.

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Gfooter... thanks for posting that vid. I've seen a few of his other repair vids, and they guy does outstanding work. If anything, he does too good a job... makes us all look like hacks!

To the unfortunate guy who's board got sliced... if the stringer is not fully compromised, you can beef it up with a little roving laid in along the stringer on both sides... or just one side if the fin only went through one side. You'll have to dig out the loose glass and remove some foam along the slice itself to get some repair material down in there. Remove as little original material around the slice as possible, and still get enough space in there to get a good bond with your repair materials. I wouldn't remove the tail piece completely and reattach, but you may get that advice from some shops. If it's still attached, you won't have to worry about getting the rocker back... something that is critical to these kinds of repairs, and something the guy in the vid above makes sure he mentions that it has to be done right.

15. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Obviously it was the OP's fault. Otherwise we'd have a complete explanation probably with gopro footage.

Sorry about the damage. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

16. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Prior to taking it to shop, etc. take off your pad...they're going to take at least half of it off anyway and the ding guy/shop may up charge you b/c they will have to do it. Otherwise not that labor intensive...I've seen worse. Bummed for ya...

17. pickles

Feb 6, 2014

I'm a chill surfer with the Aloha spirit in the water, so i told that guy i was glad no one got hurt and sh*t happens. obviously i was pissed my board got destroyed. unfortunately it was a dangerous situation. and if you're gonna back paddle someone on a long board you can't also expect them to be able to get out of the way fast enough, which i was trying to do because he only got the tail as i pulled my feet out of the way. as for the "pop out", it's just one of the short boards in my quiver. i have locally shaped boards too, so chill out dude.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  18. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I think it was the longboarders fault, he should pay money or lose some teeth. As for the repair duct tape and superglue if you got time, in a pinch rub some wax and sand into it for a day. Good luck beatin the bag out of that dude the next time you see him, itwas your wave. Oh and have fun. Stomp. Stomp.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    All this talk about who's fault it is... when it actually doesn't even look like a fin slice, really. At least not to me... Especially not a longboard fin. But I guess the point is... how do you fix it.

20. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    throw that board out you really want to ride a "repaired board" it defiantly won't shred as hard. Everytime I get a pressure ding on my board I chuck it and get a brand new Al Merrick for only $750