Hand planes

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by NJGoofyguy, Jun 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NJGoofyguy

NJGoofyguy Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Anyone ever try the hand planes for body surfing? Been trying to figure out if its worth the hundred or so bucks for an 8 inch piece of wood....

2. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    they work, just def not worth that kind of price tag... for less than half that you could go to home depot/lowes buy a wood board, a strap, screws/bolts for said hand strap, a coping saw, and a spray bottle of clear coat to seal it. make a project out of it and build your own, you'll feel pride that you made something yourself and have something to do when there's ripples coming in too small to surf but perfect to swim in!

3. gleba

gleba New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I use them but it's because I make my own. The prices are outrageous and I have a background in woodworking so I gave it a shot. They make a difference but I wouldn't say its worth buying one. Here in Jersey there are days when you can really get all your weight on it and fly down the line, but the average small ****ty waves don't really call for a hand plane. Where I think it really helps is getting some extra leverage paddling into a wave, the extra surface area on my hand definitely gets me moving faster as I swim into something.

4. NJGoofyguy

NJGoofyguy Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    That's what I figured, appreciate it fellas

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    If you haven't done so yet, check out the handplanes at Greenlight in Manasquan. A guy named George builds them, and they're really well designed and beautiful pieces of functional art. They have concave and rocker and foil... really nice stuff. I have no idea what they cost.

6. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Yep make my own out of old skateboards and skimboards. Lots of fun.

7. Ripcurrent

Ripcurrent Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Party missile hand planes!

8. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
  9. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Dude those are sweet Goose!

10. son681

son681 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My neighbor makes them. He is making some for me to give as groomsmen gifts. I figure that is a better gift then a stupid flask or pocket watch. He makes them with polonial wood (not sure that spelled correctly) and they are all different looking depending on the how the wood grain is. Some have single stringers some double. Don't know anything at all about wood working but they do seem kinda labor intensive to make. If anyone interested in mon cty he has been trying to get them in a couple local shops Eastern Lines, Spellbinders, Brave New World but has yet to have any real luck with sales.

11. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    A Frisbee work just as good.

12. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    There's a local kid I graduated HS with back in '08 who went on to open an apparel company called Points East on Long Island. He makes some pretty cool hand planes starting at like 50 ish I think. Might wanna give that a look too.

13. Hayduke Lives

Hayduke Lives Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
  14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    You could probably just use your flip flops.

15. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006