Dolphins Are Cool

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Dudes,

I remember watching this on TV one night and just came across it again on the interweb, just thought I would share. These apparently are the only dolphins that do this, or have been documented doing this, I believe it's on Tybee Island Georgia where this goes on. You Georgia guys ever witness this first hand?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/09/video-dolphins-unusual-feed

2. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    My brother lives on HHI and kayaks a lot, he's seen them a couple times.

3. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, I could hit Tybee with a rock from where I surf, but I have NEVER seen anything like that. See way more dolphins around here than I thought I would. But nothing like that. No way.

4. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Very cool article/report, thanks for posting. Last summer I was out paddling in Sandbridge, VA and had a pod swim by. It was really cool.

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah, I see them literally every time I'm out in the water, but I've never witnessed this type of behavior, super intelligent how they communicate with each other, team up and hunt like that. It takes balls on their part, because if they got stuck on the embankment they would die. The strategy they came up with is incredible. I consider them the humans of the ocean. Far superior in intelligence then about anything else in their domain.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    When my bro has seen them do it they've been up in Calibogue sound, up the river, etc...don't think they do it in the ocean but he doesn't paddle in salt that much, so who knows. Apparently its just around this area that they've acquired this behavior.

Was out on the SUP a couple years ago at CB and had small pod with a baby let me cruise with them for a good long while. Their flukes were almost touching the front of my board. Very cool.

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    That's what they were saying on the special I watched on Nat Geo, weird how it's only in this area they've adapted and created this technique. Would love to watch that live. Sometimes when I take the SUP out to Fort Desoto I'll get to paddle along side one or a few for quite a while. My wife was followed by one once and was one of the coolest experiences for her. She gets afraid of most wildlife but it was friendly toward her, so they made friends and shot the sh*t for a minute.

Another time while I was surfing at Ponce Inlet (4-5ft day), I was sitting waiting for a set and my wife was out behind the lineup on my SUP hanging out, she saw a fin and thought it was a shark at first, I almost always say "it's gotta be a dolphin", because it normally is, and before you know it one is headed straight for me, then disappeared and swam under me, a wave came, i caught it, and then 4-5 dolphins came out of nowhere and rode a wave along side me. It was so surreal, never had that happen before. Now THAT'S a party wave!

8. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Yeah I saw that special a while ago and don't remember the details but IIRC it was a learned behavior that was getting passed down from generation to generation.

Great stuff about the party wave DP! Never a bad thing to see those guys IMHO. 2x ago when I was at CB there was one playing right out the back and I used it to lure my lil one into paddling out the back for the first time (meaning she hopped on my board and I paddled her out). It disappeared but the lil one got to experience something new, and commented that "its really calm and not so scary at all out here". Two weeks ago when we were down and the wind and chop kicked up she said "wish we could go sit out the back and just float".

Can't wait for the day when she's going OTB w\ me and I get to hoot like a madman at her catching waves.

9. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Right on man, the only time I ever was concerned about a Dolphin was this one time when I was out just before sunrise in the Cocoa / PAFB area. It was slightly overhead that morning and overcast and had that eerie feeling, I was all alone, nobody on the beach at all, I was sitting waiting for a wave as this gigantic bottle-nose came flying out of the oncoming waves, he / she would go airborne, then dive under and then back into the air, I have never seen one THIS big before.

It was headed RIGHT for me (I'm convinced it was looking at me) then all of a sudden it just disappeared right before impact. I just sat there frozen praying it wouldn't accidentally run into me, if it had I would have been KO'd for sure. This thing was massive and it was on a mission, just hauling a$$. The noise it made when it broke the surface was so loud and alarming that I really didn't know what to do, so brace for impact and pray HAHA. I'll never forget it, what a morning.

That's cool to hear you got your daughter out there, she'll be ripping in no time and you'll be hooting her into waves and slapping high fives after a nice ride. I'm sure that's one of the best experiences a parent who surfs can have. I don't have kids (not yet at least), but If I did, that would be special to share those type of moments.

10. GeorgiaSurfer

GeorgiaSurfer Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Never witnessed it first hand, but have heard of it before. Sure would be a sight to see.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Dude, you should camp out near that spot one of these days and bring a GoPro or something to catch them in action. You must be really close to where that was filmed.

12. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Im actually about 2ish hours away but geographically, its practically identical. The river and marsh looks exactly the same as where i would go out on the boat when i was younger. And, this thread is spot on, Dolphins are REALLY cool.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Gotcha, didn't think you would be that far away, but i'm not too familiar with Tybee, but I would think they could be anywhere up and down the island at some point

14. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    So here's what happened. There was a whole pod under water and one said, "dude, there's a lone surfer out, lets scare the crap outta him". A brief discussion ensues and they decide to send Bubba, their biggest guy, and he does what he did to you, then goes back down and says "OMD! (oh my dolphin), I was looking rt at him on that last jump and you should have seen the look on his face, it was priceless".

Great story DPSUP! I consider myself lucky that over the years I've had some really cool experiences with dolphins in the wild. Seen them flying off the bow waves from the tankers when they come into port in Morehead City, had one ride our bow wave for an hour + while I tried desperately to touch it with my foot, was fishing another time on a really calm clear day and saw a pod coming rt for the boat, grabbed my mask and dove in and they came by and gave me a salute worthy of the thunderbirds...some other cool things to, don't have time rt now to relate....

As for the lil one...Easiest way to get me to act like a total dork is for her to do something cool. Last time down at CB she went down the line on her backhand for the first time and I was whooping like a fool! Nothing like it. She'll be smoking me in no time...

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    OMD (Oh my Dolphin) HAHAHA, that was hilarious! Yeah they truly are incredible animals, always feel safer when they are around (minus this one time), anyways, glad you enjoyed. Good stories yourself. Have a good weekend, hope you get some tasty ones.

16. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Yes I've seen them many times while surfing, have also seen a video of them surfing a wave at tybee too but can't seem to find it.

17. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks dude. No waves for me this weekend, bringing a new drummer up to speed for the band so gonna have some marathon jam sessions this weekend. Go grab some tasty cakes for me bro! Have a great weekend!

18. GreenFlash35

GreenFlash35 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
    A lot of Dolphins are nice. And some aren't. They like fish too much, so don't be stereotypical, like flipper or gidget. When we all need "More bad Dolphins".