High School Sports?

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by GeorgiaSurfer, Jul 11, 2014.

1. GeorgiaSurfer

GeorgiaSurfer Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    How many of you all played sports in high school? Just curious as to what sport, position, accolades, etc etc. Im going into 10th grade at my school and I play football and soccer. Im the kicker and slot receiver for the football team, and play as a forward/striker for the soccer team. This is my football teams first year having a varsity program, as my school is going on its 5th year. In soccer we have made it to the Elite 8 the past two years at the AAA level. For soccer, I was placed on 2nd team all county this year, scoring 25 goals (3rd in county) and 12 assists. So what sports did y'all play? Make playoffs? Position? Awards? As you all can probably tell I'm reeaally bored and its flat here in georgia. (as usual)

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I played football / baseball in league / high school. Was starting QB most years in FB, won a championship in an undefeated season. Sometimes they put in me at slot receiver, also played corner and safety on defense. On special teams I actually did the long snapping because of how accurate I was, even being undersized, I did pretty well at it.

Played 2nd base, short, and outfield (sometimes pitched) in baseball. Made the All Star team a couple times, won the sportsmanship award and all that stuff. Also trained in Taekwondo and was a black belt in training when my Dad decided to pull me out (financial reasons). He wasn't able to pay for my travel and competitions once I got to that level. Was able to win 1st place in a local sparring competition before he pulled the plug though, so I go that at least.

3. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Thats awesome man, must have been very special going undefeated and winning that championship. I also forgot to mention that i play a corner/safety on D. I dropped baseball last year to focus more on soccer, i played second and some outfield as well. You seemed to have a lot of fun and were very athletic/successful throughout high school!

4. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I won't get into all of it. But I played Basketball and Soccer through College and two years in D1 soccer in college. When I was in High School, the football team wanted me to kick for them because we would mess around and just nailed field goals. All the kickers in the HS level were football players taught to kick.

If I could turn back time, I would have gone the football kicking route, as gay as that sounds... Just because there is a HUGE market for a decent kicker, albeit the most disrespected position in the game. If you can kick well, you can easily get a scholarship and have the potential to eventually go pro.

Just saying, if you got a solid foot on you, you might want to do football. The soccer market in this country is garbage. So unless you are the cream of the crop elite, it will be hard to get much further than college.

5. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    What position did you play in soccer? How'd the basketball go? And i know most of the kickers are football players taught to just toe it as far as possible. And i don't have a goal to play farther than college, and getting a soccer scholarship isn't my main goal either.

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah it was quite a bit of fun. I really miss those days. Surfing is my thing now, and is way more challenging then anything I did in sports, so it keeps me humble, but I wouldn't mind putting a helmet and pads on again, although at 33 it's not happening, not worth the injuries HAHA

7. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Im sure you do, thats all my coaches talk about, to seize the moment now because after a little bit that times over and the hourglass has run out of sand. I try to soak it all up while i still have it but like everyone I'm sure i take it for granted more than i should. And surfing is one of my main things, because its so different, you can't always have it your way (conditions wise) like you can with sports. I can go kick around a soccer ball or throw a football whenever i want, its not that way with surfing.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    That's so true, all of it

9. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    I was a sweeper mostly, running a flat back four I would break formation and play stopper sometimes, but always on the D line. I had a never ending supply of energy. I set my school record for playing every minute of every game from Sophmore through senior year. All State, All area, All MVAL. We favored to win the states my senior year and we lost in the first round to Rockville. Ohh well. We were always ranked highly but it never panned out post season. We would face schools that had international players and it just never worked out well for us. Went on to Play D1. Got some action my freshman year. They recruited my position and I didn't get a lot of PT my second year, so after that I just stepped down. It was taking a lot of my time from school, so I was over it.

As far as Basketball, I was starting PG in high school. I had great handles and was probably the best 3 point shooter on our team, but I was also a big assist guy. Never really got many accolades there. We had a few primarily black schools in our division and they would roll over our bigs. I mean, they would have 3 players catchiing oops by the time I was a senior. I am a 5'9 white guy, so I knew I didn't have a future in B Ball. I still play pickup ball and can light up any young man still.

Thats my story. I was a guy that loved basketbal, but I was built to play soccer. That was my favorite sport. But I did a lot of track at a young age. Junior Olympics when I was age 10 and 12. Quit track by 13 or so cause I HATED it, i was just fast, so I was basically built for soccer. I was just a pitbull. You have me mark the best striker and I would just shut him down. You couldn't beat me in a footrace, except for this african dude from Rockville. He burned me once. But my future was in soccer, so that is how it panned out.

10. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yup, cherish these days. Even if you go on to play in college, it will never be the same. NEVER. good times young man. good times. Innocent times. The world is an ugly place, so the competition and the comradery you have is something you may never see again.

11. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Thats awesome man. Yeah basketball isn't my schools strongpoint hahahaha in 2 varsity seasons we've gone like 2-30somethin, lots of black schools in our area, the savannah-chatham area. For soccer we could use a defender that plays like you did. We lost this year in the quarterfinals due to our defense, 5-3 against a lot of hispanics from North Hall. I gotta hat trick that game in the first half to tie it 3-3, they put two marks on me the second half and exposed out lack of physicality and speed back on D. Eh well. Id call that a success for my freshman season, Quarterfinals, and 3rd in county scoring. Really looking forward to these next three years.

12. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    I try to take in as much as i can, and give it all i got. I reeeeally don't wanna look back and have lots of regrets thinking i could have done more.

13. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    5 year high school soccer and graduated hs a year early, played for the high school team in middle school for 2 years. i played sweeper but might try to play college if i get back into shape and train but i like to surf,drink,eat,travel to much so idk. im super fast and 10 times for motivated than your typical college kid so well see if i can make a team when i transfer out of this tech college.

14. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    hs soccer (ctr fielder) all years

wrestled in hs two years. first year105, then 132. i grew thin and lank....and therfore got destroyed. no more wrestling for me.

15. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Seems like the majority of the guys that posted in this thread played soccer? must be a coincidence or something

16. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Yeah man soccer is coming around here! been playing since i was 4 years old.

17. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Streaking. Minimal gear requirement and was a growing fad then.

Actually, it was water polo and track during my freshman year, x-country and track for the remaining 3 years. Found I was a faster runner than a swimmer. In track I ran 440, 880 and anchored mile relay (U.S. track not metric in the early 70s), team captain. Went to CIF So. Calif regionals (or whatever it was called back then) in the 880 my senior year.
    I continue to run (jog) if not out surfing. Start to feel my age when young couples pushing baby jogging-strollers pass me.

18. GeorgiaSurfer

Jun 29, 2013
    Yeah man, soccers the sport that everyone puts there little kids in and hope they want to keep it up… many don't but the ones that have some raw athletic ability and commitment, along with the right coaching, can really go places!

19. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Bunch of gym class heroes.

FLY A BANNER FOR ALL YOUR VARSITY LETTAHS YOU BUNCHA HAZBENZ!!!

20. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Uncle Rico!
    http://wn.com/uncle_rico