Not "Surf Art"

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by LBCrew, Jul 10, 2014.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ... just art from a surfer.

Michael Short is a surfer/shaper/artist... and painter by trade. Born in Monmouth Beach, where he was raised and and learned to surf. The youngest of a large Irish family, he grew up, went to art school, lived and surfed in California, and eventually came full circle to live with his mom, wife and two sons in the home he grew up in. Has a brilliant, intuitive sense of human nature, and where our present culture fits into the bigger picture of our past, present, and questionable future. Never political, but always provocative, Michael's art is an expression of his innate inclination to question what what value, what we discard, and the forces that drive us to make those choices. All of this, within the context of the inexorable toll time and tide take on our physical world... our bodies and minds included.

His art will be at the A. J. Dillon Gallery in Atlantic Highlands starting next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cogil4LacE

2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i know one guy who does 'surf art' in so jersey. he's a phony; can barely stand on a longboard.
    all talk, works in a surfshop, spreads anger in the line-up. sorry to whine but every time i hear
    'surf art' i think of this goon.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    This guy's the exact opposite of that. He's 100% soul and and surfs with a style I envy. The kind of person who feels uncomfortable with the surfer "image" but never says anything about it... he really only speaks through his art.

4. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    My brother carved my avatar in marble and he lived in Bama most of his life.

5. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    now thats the kinda person i would buy 'art' from...

6. Hunter T.

Hunter T. Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Just watched the video. Dude seems really cool and I do really like some of the art he was talking about. Thanks for the introduction, OP.