Guys we need to talk

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ihatelongboarders, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    ditto. my local likes south wind swells more then south ground swells. the ground swells tend to close out a bit more as the lines are generally bigger than the sand banks they're trying to hit.

it kind of follows the logic of "if you think everyone you meet is an asshole, maybe YOU'RE an asshole."

2. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    i resent that!

3. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I am an asshole, lol. Old age gets to you becaues times were different. I'm just a cranky son of a ***** when I have to surf with crowds around this time. The swell yesterday was fun but I was dodging people on the inside and having to deal with drop-ins. I'm much more happy when I surf alone or with buddy. A day like yesterday would have been great if it was similar to 25 years ago when less people surfed these now crowded spots. See I am a cranky old man talking about the early days.

4. shupat08

shupat08 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I know him by sight, don't know the man though... Not sure why he posted that. Everyone of my buddies at my break (somewhere near the Seaside area... and they happen to know Ben) pretty much disagree with that meme as well.

5. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Had the correct size 5-7 feet faces and semi clean
    Nj was spot on as far as the forecast goes
    It just can't handle 14 second groundswell here.

6. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He wants Micah's pool!

7. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Exactly, and in order to program that kind of data, it would take THOUSANDS of man hours, setting up certain variable questions and conditions in the code, analysis swell direction, tide, period, building or dropping swell, wind and once it gets through all that AI, then it's spit into a spot specific

if $swelldir <= 110 && $swelldir >= 117 && $tide = >=2.0 && $tiderising = true && $waveheight >= 5.0 && $waveheight <=10.0 && $swellperiod >=7 && $swellperiod <=13
    then $waveconditions = "GOOD"

sorry for the geek talk, and that is no specific coding form, and it's missing about 15 other considerations, but basically, lets apply this to Atlantic City New Jersey....

What it is saying, is that if the swell direction is in between 110 and 117 degrees, and the tide is greater than +2.0 feet and rising the wave faces (that were already run through a different filter) are in between 5-10 feet and the swell period is in between 7-13, then the surf will be 7 feet and great conditions....

Hopefully that makes sense, but in order for surf predictions websites to actually make that work, they will have to add like 200 lines of code for EVERY spot, and specifically know what directions, periods and a million other things can happen....

But what I would suggest, because that will never happen, is to watch you favorite breaks and create your own calculator for swells. Because Swell Info can tell me everything about the Buoys and the surf heading my way, but SI has no idea where the sand bars are, when the last replenishment was, and a million other things.

So, watch you break at 10 seconds, 11 seconds, 12 seconds and see when it maxes out. Take that into consideration. Also watch it at 5 seconds, 6 seconds. Record with buoy heights and the periods and keep notes about what swells work where....

I mean, I could write all that code out for micah =), but it would take local input from people on EVERY location, and if someone is wrong, or a day is a freak and it takes a 20 second period, everything is jacked up... It would take FOREVER

Summation: Do your own math, you should know what works and what doesn't. A robot doesn't know if your spot can handle 12 seconds or 17 seconds. You will rarely read a robot authored report or summary that tells you things will be closeouts two days from now... Unless its just massive swell at a long period.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  8. Wave Maven

Wave Maven Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, it was underwhelming based on the forecast. I was expecting one of the best surf days of my life, and it turned out to be just an average day of waves. There was a lot of size, but no break could really make sense of it. Grateful for any and every chance to paddle out, but more often than not, hurricanes swell don't live up to the hype.

9. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    it was bigger here at S/SE facing spots than pretty much anywhere had it forecasted to be & i scored....the only thing that was disappointing was the circus that came to town, i had way more lines lost than waves caught. but hey, it's august in maine and that's what you get if you're insistent on going to "the best spot".

today was also slightly bigger than forecasted, but super closed out and a lot of quick rights...but i got a couple to satiate a needed swell hunger...far from stoke though but it really had nothing to do with the forecast...

winter will be here soon brothers & sisters.....

10. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I scored
    I'm happy
    You ain't gonna hear me complainin'.

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Man... you guys have memory problems. Hurricane swells don't live up to the hype?

Ernesto
    Irene
    Earl
    Noel

Classic hurricane paths for NJ, and epic swells. And these are just a few. You just gotta know what works for your local and what doesn't to separate the hype/hope from the reality.

12. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    LB's got a point....that TS in front sometimes makes a world of difference and proximity, for sure.

I can say 100% that the spot in Delaware I surfed during Ernesto had some of the cleanest, biggest faces I've ever seen on the east coast.

But, i can't see what people are complaining about...it was decent, here on the EC we have a handful of days a year that are decent, epic days come once maybe every couple years....

cry somewhere else, you bunch of whiners.

maybe you suck at surfing, and that's the real problem.

13. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Great swells. I think hurricanes just get hyped but there are great ones like above. All those were great. Even yesterdays one had fun lines. It just was only breaking at certain places. I know my local area and what works. I usually surf with just myself or one other person. The places that were working yesterday were crowded. It was different a long time ago. Now crowds are a factor for swells this time of year. It was definitely a fun swell just overcrowded for the spots that worked.

I do have to say Irene was super fun and almost everywhere seemed to be working. It's funny how things can change in a short period (sandbars, replenishment) and limit the breaks.

14. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    cry somewhere else, you bunch of whiners +1

you do kinda sound like danny mcbride when you type...

15. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    si pride lol.

first off it wasn't 5-7ft in nj.some might call it that that don't know actual wave size.doomsday was 5-7ft,yesterday wasn't even close to doomsday.i wouldn't blame si tho,every report I seen said the same thing 6-8ft,that's why I was disappointed to see 3-4ft with occasional 5footer.i havnt seen any barrel shots yet in nj with someone holding their arms up in the tube,because it was 5-7ft.im not complaining,just a little bummed,but its really the sandbars and wind that make a swell a swell.

and ben currie is one of the 20,000 photogs that flock to sam hammer mike gleason and co,and hes seen his share of 5-7ft reports.this wasn't one of them

16. dbiz135

dbiz135 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Spot on 90% of the time. Best summer in 3yrs.

17. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    read your latest surfer or listen to cep...100% right. i wasn't hear 2 weeks ago for a strong low big wind swell with a 7" rain in 24hr blew threw, but ever since then i feel like my spot and my typical paddle in point is a little off...ceps right

18. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Wow these guys who posted that pic must be out of towners - or they don't know about Belmar....

Seriously- spot on report for the other day. What else could you ask fo? Come home from work and catch a few nice ones?? What do ppl expect? It said 5 to 7 ft... There where some bigger sets then 5 to 7

19. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Agree- but maybe more like 5 or 6 yrs