Skateboarding

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by FUN, Sep 8, 2014.

1. FUN

FUN Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    sup guys, does anyone here skate? not longboarding, like skating ledges, bowls, stairsets etc.

i skate a 7.75 krooked deck, thunder 147's, bones reds, and some pig wheels that i got hooked up with (no idea what model they are).

i went to philly this summer and visited love park and then skated paines park. paines was soo fun to skate. i was there alone and some bum showed up and sat on one of the ledges, opened up a 40, and watched me skate. little creepy haha

what's your board set up and where were some cool places you have skated? lets hear it

2. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Read through the Carver quiver tread and other Carver treads then we can have a great convo bout skating. Bout to go rip pave right now. The beast needs to be released.

3. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    FUN, a few guys on here skate street, mostly in the Northeast. R. Carter skates down south, he shreds transition and does Carolina Crailtaps on the regular.

However, most of the Swellinfo crew who actually step foot on a skateboard follow a cult-like doctrine known as 'Carverism'. The local Carver Chapter is captained by SI-user Clemson, though a young priest with Jim Jones-like enthusiasm is taking the helm of the Cult, attempting to convert even young boys like you.

'Carverism' is a strange belief system that focuses solely on skating as an accompaniment to surfing- usually as a method of surf 'training.' 'Carverists,' as they're known, ride something akin to a very loose front truck. They 'carve' rather than skate, on monster boards that are usually 10" wide.

Carverists have been known to actually skate transition on occasion, though they tend to congregate in the comfort of their driveways or other 10º inclines in suburbia, having never realized the pleasures of being skatestopped by bums in Philadelphia, security guards in NY, or ... arriving to a Boston skatespot only to realize "F*ck I could be skating Philly or NY."

I imagine that Carverists are not treated like longboarders, but I'm not sure; unlike longboarders, I have never seen one in the wild...

To answer your question, however, my setup is a wide-ass Welcome deck with 56mm Spitfire Formula 4's. It's an old man setup. Yesterday at my local spot I learned what laser flips and dolphin flips are. I think those tricks suck dong (and not just cause I'll never land em, they just look dumb).

Some of the coolest spots I've ever skated are Olympic Park in Montreal and the Brooklyn Banks (maybe never to reopen?), also a spot at Stony Brook L.I. back in the day when Guy Mariano and the girl team showed up to film. I skated mini-ramp with Steve Cab once. All my skating life I dreamed of skating ditches like those of the Southwest, so I should have known that one day I would take to surfing, which consumes most of my 'free' time now.

Never stop skating little dude.

4. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Slashdog that post was phenom, then again much of your latest work is consistent with it.

We do downhill bro, and not LB-type downhill. Surfskate downhill. It's a wave bro. Like a long right in ES.

We don't just rip on 10" wide decks bro. We trow CX4 trucks on sub-8" trad decks and change the game. Your loose front truck is nothing like our surfy trucks. For those of us who've hit the WC, we know those breaks to be just as superior to ours on the right as WC surf breaks are to ours.

We sure as hell aren't treated like LBers. Skaters come up to us it the got the ballz to and they tell us we rip and that we make real good speed for flatter ground. They tell us our decks (if stock) are too heavy to Ollie then we prove em wrong.

Jump of the Carver train before it runs you over bros. It's coming.

5. LongIslandBound420

LongIslandBound420 Active Member

Aug 21, 2013
    i skate man been doing it all my life I actually skated before surfing, I ride a 8.5 deck with some thunder 149s and spitfire classics, skated all over NYC but that's about it.

6. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    You guys gotta get out west and see the parks of CA and the PNW.

7. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Emass, why must you incessantly respond to ball-busting with positivity!

You're right that West Coast waves may very well trump E.C. (I honestly don't know as I've never surfed West Coast U.S.), but when it comes to skateboarding, it's a different story. Cali has the origins but we've got the soul, skating would never be what it is today without NY, Jersey, and Philly.

I would love to carve it up in a ditch man, the best I usually get here is 'bombing' my street, but I would never trade my street skating roots for anything. Skateboarding would be nowhere without the East Coast, you should all enjoy it while you can, because it is probably going down the f*ckin tube, with all this corporate sponsorship and Nike street-league type ****.

Okay guys I gotta take the board out of the alley and wake up for more ding repair. Enjoy this gem... recent good-times skateboarding footy at it's best. LIB420 you should recognize some of the spots... especially the rail @ 2:30. DAMN.

[video=vimeo;100011110]http://vimeo.com/100011110[/video]

8. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    finallyyyyyyyyyy... I was waiting for another dude on here to post he skated :cool: plan b deck 8.38 ricta 53mm wheels destructo trucks.... love my decks wide and loose but I love my poonanie tight ;) anyways before I seduce u britches carving isn't skating its carving for crying out loud.... those boards are fun tho think im gonna buy that da monsta one tried it out today at my local shop thing fukin rips, where you located at?

9. LongIslandBound420

LongIslandBound420 Active Member

Aug 21, 2013
    i agree with slashdog, although the west coast primarily cali pioneered skating, the east coast gave skating a true culture and edginess to it. watch skaters that are from the wedt coast and watch skaters from the east coast, the east coast is more raw and loose style and the west is super technical and at times stiff body language. but they all shred so i cant complain. we all love the sport and one thing you dont see much is skaters hating on skaters, at least if youre mature.

10. oldenglish

oldenglish Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Finally a real skate thread.

Black label Hensley re-issue, Indy 149, bones SPF wheels.

West coast parks pretty much trump everything I've skated. Lake Cunningham in San Jose is a bowl skaters dream. Back yarder, skull bowl, flow bowls, big and small it's got it all.

11. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    lol Slashdog I'm secure in my attachments and self and plus I know all you guys too well over the forum to take any of you too seriously. Your recent prose really is high grade and I'm pleased to speak of it as such.

That vid is sic bro. The drop in off whatever structure shown was straight vert. Shows you that no drop in on any conventional pool should be feared when it comes down to it. I always appreciate a skater's skill of falling safely. Can't be underestimated. Being able to fall without getting hurt easily has transcended what I'm willing to do on a skate and therefore how quickly I progress.

I hear you on the EC love for skate history and culture. By no means am I looking to replace it. I'm simply stating the terrain out west is so superior in cities. Here, we have potholes out the arse and flat, flat ground. Out there, they have entire metropolitan areas on slight declines, not to mention pave so smooth and other surfaces (concrete and even marble) that you could eat off of. Much like surfing, we need speed for skate maneuvers, at least ones that I want to do.

12. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Bro most of the vids you see for Carver riding are honky and dudes just pulling their pricks pumping around. Imagine most of what you do in pools and some of what you do in the street with a complete surf style to it, far more surf-like than before due to the hardware you're riding.

Eat a dikk!!! Or just trow CX4s on your trad 8" deck and see what the stoke's about. What I do on the Carver is very real. You wouldn't be ashamed. It's not LB crap and it's all badassery and style.

You gotta see the bowls in Seattle bro. And some of them are open 24 hours a day with lights on all night. Sic bowls in Laguna Hills too and many other SoCal spots.

13. Ryan McCall

Ryan McCall Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2014
    yes. I ride mini logos in various sizes cause they are cheap, indys because they have been lasting forever, and some bones park wheels... not sure the size/model but they are a bit bigger for bowl skating.

havent found myself skating as much lately, but was skating 5 times a week when I was living in utah. This thread makes me wanna skate.

Dont be fooled by the west young men. While its true they have some really good big parks, some of the best parks I have ever skated were in the east. FL and PA, CT, Whiterock here in RI.

Ah but the Salt Lake City parks were so good, Heber City to be exact. I still skate those pools in my dreams.

14. dalecooter

dalecooter Member

Jul 31, 2013
    finally getting to take out the vision gator reissue my wife got me to a nice new park here in NC. haven't skated in forever probably going to stick to the mini ramp. indy trucks with some sweet powell perelta bones

15. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    [video=vimeo;92545418]http://vimeo.com/92545418[/video]

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Skated a lot as a teenager, early to mid 90's...was never really an asphalt shreddah but ollied my share of 5 steps and used to have the sweeeeetest marble stairs to grind/slide/etc...was always a street skater in my youth and there weren't that many parks around...anyway...

bought this cruiser complete setup in spring, mainly to have my mighty dog pull me on(waaay faster than hills brahs, thought I knew how strong he was until then)...but that kinda gave me the itch so I've been skating more and can stil lpull off ollies, shove-its, and ollie 180's...so long story short, it's time for a traditional setup...but man, that 'cruiser' is built for speed and really fun to bomb hills/dog-sled skate with:cool:

17. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Lol Slash man I love the term Carolina Crailtap! Crailtpas are sweet! I do still skate some but up until a couple of years ago I loved skating vert and transition. I will look later for some pics and there is an old thread somewhere that I posted some in. We have Eastern Skateboard Supply here in Wilmington which has a huge (12,000 or so SqFt) indoor park. Lance and The Firm have been there Hawk, Cab and the Vans Crew, Black Label, you name it. Some sick stuff there.

I rode for a small company called Darkside and the boards were bamboo. Really cool because it was light, strong and quickly renewable. Only ever used Indy trucks since 84 when I started and mostly rode Jivaro or Rain Skates wheels.

18. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indeed. "Pearled" the first drop @~35secs, but got back on it an made the 2nd attempt. Like in surfing, on those sick drops need to keep the nose out of the water.

Cool vid, thanks for sharing slash.

19. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Here is Eastern Sakte Supply in Wilmington:
    [video=youtube;RxTqFVJrfKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxTqFVJrfKY[/video]

20. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Hey emass gimme a quick comparison cx vs c7. Don't tell me to read the other thread bs I want first had from someone experienced with those trucks. My style is going to be not just carving in pumping gonna be lookin to use it on quarter pipes, bowls, streets, copings if the trucks can handle it, basically universal all around terrain