Worst forecast ever?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Wick, Sep 18, 2014.

1. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Go to a pay site suzy, or learn how to read a buoy.

2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    it was OH to tattoo.

3. huuor

huuor Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Have you considered suing SI for loss of earnings? (that was a joke)

Perhaps it's worth investing some time in studying your home break a little more.
    Favorable swell directions. Ground vs. wind swells. Buoys. Bathymetry. Etc.
    It sounds a little geeky but record the basic attributes of good and bad swells at YOUR beach (get a little note pad or an iWhatsit).

You can't expect Micah to serve it all a plate to ya, mate.

Being skunked is part of what the corporate surf-whores call "The Search".

Good luck next time. Peace.

4. Wick

Wick Member

Sep 18, 2014
    sniffer, you pier, daeggman, frost, huuour: good advice on all counts. thanks

nynj: best response! still has my laughing.

5. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    oh oh oh.... perfect opportunity here, tripping over myself to grab the soapbox!!!!

Dude, its a free service, you don't have to use it!!!

6. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.

7. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    were they rouge from blood in the water or red tide?

don't normally join the grammar police but i think that rouge waves need to be entered into the SI diktionary.

8. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    There is always room for improvement, especially since we are helping put money in Mr. SI's pockets by clicking away on his free site.

9. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Man, you cats are harsh...I'd say harsher than usual. I think you're all pissed off about getting snubbed with this recent swell.

I agree with the OP...this was one of the worst examples of forecasting/hyping of a swell that I've seen in quite some time. They were predicting 4-7ft @ 15 seconds...best I saw was 3ft @ 8-10 seconds.

Don't get me wrong...I had a good time, but man, this forecast was WAY off in my opinion.

10. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    MA Bruh hope you're well. Places like G**ch's were not the regime yesterday. When you say best you saw was 8-10 seconds, were you counting in between sets or claiming that as a buoy reading? No way on the latter. Average wave period was 11 earlier in the day, while dominant (what we usually refer to) was 14-15.

This was an organized swell, albeit not cranking OH. If anything, the mythical closeouts are what brought its glory down. Lots of guys seem to have been at the wrong spots per this swell's specs. Study up bros.

And I ask again...do that many guys here REALLY like HH and up? I tend to doubt it. With all the posts about hating duck diving and guys claiming very modest skills, how can you like challenging swell like that? Just doesn't add up. Schitt, we only get clean HH+ swell a handful of times a year here.

Stomach to shoulder and clean is still fun as hell and quite rippable.

11. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Good catch, and I agree. I will get on this if no one else does by lunch.

12. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Bro it's the bears. They smell the menstruation.

13. torn891

torn891 Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Spot on. And I only lived up there for 3 years...and still know that.

I also took the day of and it was worth every lost penny. Head high but closing out in CNJ at daybreak- a little dissapointing- but drove south joping to drive against storm direction so thing swould get a bit of an angle at some spots i know and absolutely scored. Just wished the sell/wind window was longer.

14. Gus

Gus Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Agree. Dude for me, f*** an HH+ swell. give me 2.5-4 ft medium/long period swell any day. Relaxing, fun as sh**, and can stay out there for hours. Had a blast at Folly yesterday...personally one of the funnest swells I've surfed in a while.

15. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Yes bro. So rippable at that height and clean. I love me some gnar now and then no doubt, but I just want to rip faces as much as possible.

16. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I do love HH+. I really do. For me, seriously, 90% of my quiver doesn't even work in waves less than HH. I honestly don't even know how there are so many shortboarders on this site or on this coast. Yeah, there are some chest plus days that are rippable on the HPSBs, but man, riding waist high surf on a potato chip is over all, very unappealing. The whole east coast is plagued with so many more bad days than good, I don't even know how guys are clocking any serious high performance time without driving up and down the coast constantly.

Its like this last swell. It was pretty crowded on Wednseday. Every kid under the age of 18 had their shortboard out. A few of the older guys had their SBs out. I rode a fish and an LB. I did not see ONE shortboarder even snag a decent wave the whole time. Even the little local pro ripper. Couldn't find a barrel. Couldn't out race the sections... I am the first guy to break out a SB when the conditions call for it. But not ONE of these TS/Hurricane swells has really produced enough juice for me to justify even anything less than the fish. There were some nice shots of folly and Jax a month or so ago, but that was really like HH max. I would probably have ridden the SB up or down there, but it wasn't required.

17. Gus

Gus Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Man I saw several people catching waves on the reg on their short boards at Folly yesterday. I used my long board for the most part though. I'm probably not as experienced as some of you guys so that's probably why I enjoy the 3-4 ft range the most right now. Its been a while since I tried HH+...I could probably handle it much better now than days past.

18. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I ride my fish or lb 90% of the time. took my hpsb out for this swell twice and wasn't feeling it, since I can gain a lot more speed with my quad for those hard to make sessions and I gained 15 pounds since I bought the hpsb.

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I dunno man, looked pretty HP short board-able round here, guess it all depends

20. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, you guys may have gotten it better. I am talking little rippers that weigh 90 pounds soaking wet were out there looking just terrible on their shortboards. It was the long periods. You would have an open faced shoulder, enough to get a nice roundhouse in, but then no one could catch back up with the walled up inside section. The Longboard was slicing through sections and connecting up over 100 yards long. A few simple pumps on the fish and I was easily hopping around the sections.

I dunno, maybe I am just getting older and more jaded. But last couple times I was up in Delmarva surfing, I was on a potato chip (cause thats all I left at my pops house) and it was chest high. But by the end of the day, I just wasn't feeling it. Unless its HH+ or so, whats the point? Maybe a little air section? Maybe a little barrel that I could have snagged on my fish anyway? I dunno.

Just saying, my boards havent popped a woody in like 6 months. They saw the forecast. They knew it wasn't their time to shine. Maybe next time boys. Maybe next time.