best east coast surf shops ?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by bagus, Oct 8, 2014.

1. joenottoast

joenottoast Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
  2. JimB

JimB Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Buck Wheat say Malibu's, K-Coast, & Chauncy's is "Oh Tay!"

3. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Yep, those three shops are the best in the MD/DE area for sure.

4. Surfmdoc

Surfmdoc Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Have to Agree , but more than O Tay , Ow yeah,, Also props to some other fine shops in the only town with more surf shops than gas stations ( Ocean City). Endless Summer, Fenwick Island Surf Shop, Ocean Atlantic, Quiet Storm.!

5. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Heritage in OCNJ , Surfer Supplies as well. There also use to be a small surf shop on Asbury ave a few blocks up from SS it sold a lot of cool stuff and you would have never known it was a Surf Shop if there was no boards or anything out front cause it was basically so guy working out of his house it looked like. If anyone who has lived nd Surfed in OCNJ Pre 1998 they might remember the name of the shop I'm talking about

6. RedStripe75

RedStripe75 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Malibus in OCMD is my local shop, have to second all of the recommendations. Lee really takes the time to discuss your abilities and where you like to surf, and what your goals are when you're looking at a new board. His kids and their friends seem like a really solid group as well.

I had to stop into Sweetwater in Wrightsville for a leash on a visit there a few years ago, really cool people and just a great shop overall. Definitely recommend.

Natural Art in OBX is excellent, have to stop in every time I visit. There is another larger spot in Waves that has craft beer and movie screenings, was actually there camping on a weekend when Robert August was in town to screen Endless Summer a few years back. He had a great sense of humor, had us cracking up throughout the whole film.

7. Ripcurrent

Ripcurrent Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I bet I follow you on Instagram

8. jettyface

jettyface Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Missed connection?

9. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Was there a 70s/80s/90s/2-thou equivalent of following someone on IG?

10. jettyface

jettyface Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    70s-2000s it was known as stalking. Like hide in the bushes stalking.

11. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Lol I was waiting for that response. Stalkers have it easy these days don't they.

12. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    when i was knee-high to a grasshopper i went to his shop. he had a pic of him surfing sunset beach, hawaii,
    on his wall. I THOUGHT THAT WAS SO COOL!

13. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    BB Bombers OCMD.

For those that answered Malibus I have to ask why? Lee gives radio reports that specifically give away surf spots. I know there are no secret spots in Md but that doesn't mean you should tell folks exactly where to go.

14. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Bombers was prob the best shop ever in OC but I thought he meant active shops. 'Giving out' surf spots in OC? That's like telling people which hookers are easy.

15. huuor

huuor Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Yeah - saw Derf (owner) a few months back. Seemed lost. I hope he's ok. That store was everything to him. I used to love shooting the sh!t with him about his days in Hawaii. I remember calling his surf line back before the interwebs consumed our every move. Derf - if you're reading this - all the best, mate...

16. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i can ask this cause they're everywhere in AC...
    does ocmd have streetwalkers?

17. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    no firsthand knowledge but would be super surprised if they didn't have have any down there

18. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
  19. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    bushlurker?

20. swell5

swell5 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008