humbled.. and confused

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by kurebeachsurfer, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kurebeachsurfer

kurebeachsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I went surfing at Cape Hatteras this weekend. First time ive surfed anything that large. Im pretty comfortable with head and maybe a little overhead but there were DOH sets out. Plus the waves in OBX are so much heavier and pitchier than the ones I am used to surfing. Every time I paddled for a wave and got ready to pop up I would look down and could not find anywhere to go. I prefer the slopey soft crumbly waves. I sat back and watched guys killing it but I was out of my league. I drifted off a bit to my own area and tried to find a few shoulders. So I have a 7'10" board that I know can make that drop but "I" couldnt. I dont like having my fins disengaged from the water. I have three questions for yall.

1. advice for the pitchy barrelling waves that are in the 10+ range.
    2. What makes a wave pitchy as opposed to soft? Ive seen videos of 20 foot waves that seem easier than what I just went through.
    3. Where are they?

2. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    What shape is the 7'10" is it a gun or an egg/funboard?

1. You have to just commit to the drop, you'll get pitched a few times, but you'll make some. Once you get past the initial drop, I find it is easier to surf a big wave than a small one.
    2. Wind/tide/bottom/swell size/period/etc. Hatteras is the juiciest I've ridden on the right coast, but my personal experience is limited to LBI, most of Cape May County, NJ, DMV, OBX and Wrightsville.
    3. If you want crumbly surf, stick to beaches with gradual slope, not steep beaches.

3. dudesweet

dudesweet New Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Have to be quick. And a lot of this swell was breaking really fast. When that beach gets just a little bit of size it can be humbling pretty quick. That swell was not easy unless you were pretty well conditioned and have been surfing a lot. I saw a lot of guys get crunched.

4. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I consider myself a pretty experienced surfer and this weekend was pretty rough. I took my share of beat downs, nothing too severe, though. The take off can be pretty intimidating and hesitation can be your biggest enemy.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    You have to reeeeealy want it. Charge the drop. Paddle a few strokes down the face and spring to your feet like a ninja. Eat sh*t and repeat until spit out of pit. And yes, Hattaras has much more juice than typical east coast spots. (Except Belmar)

7. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    yeah, this is pretty much on the money. also helps to have the right board with enough rocker. point and shoot, and take your licks. surf like it's your last day before you have to move to Kansas, or go to jail.

8. BigMoneyT

BigMoneyT Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    bwaaaahahahah kurebeach surf What are you saying you couldnt handle south hick beaches You wouldnt survive up here in Jerz brah. Your a joke and you should stick to surfing waves with those dumb legless kids you surf with.

Owned.

9. BigMoneyT

BigMoneyT Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    sisurfdog is right belmar is where the players who want to surf monsters go in this country heres my advice. Drive straight to the bottom of the wave while being aware of where the lip you are going to use is coming down. Get low and start your bottom turn as soon as you reach the flats to conserve as much speed as possible. Lean into it hard and drive up the wave on your rail. Keep your eyes focused on the pocket of the wave. Where the foam meets the wave face is where you should be aiming. Keep your body weight over your inside rail, and keep that rail turning. Unlike a normal bottom turn to off the top, you are not going to be shifting your weight to your other rail at all. So all you have to do is lean into it and connect with the lip at the right time and place. When you get to the top of the wave you want your board to be past vertical and still turning on rail.

10. kurebeachsurfer

Jul 31, 2012
    My board is an egg shaped funboard. I had the longest board out there for a while.. Eventually a longboarder came out and did really well on it. I think a lot of it got in my head and surfing is so mental for me.

11. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    This (and your head) are your problems. Even if you're experienced, riding an egg in OH-DOH Hatteras Hurricane Juice is not going to turn out very good. Get some more experience in steeper surf, and add a gun/step up to your quiver.

12. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    1) practice more and stop sucking :) seriously, practice and if its fixing to throw, pull in off the bat. Also, try a board under 6'6
    2) bottom contours and bathymetry create tubes. if you are a grown man not hunting tubes, why are you surfing? serious question
    3) the steepness of the wave has to do with the angle/period and location/tide. same place could have a variety of steepness in the same day

so the guinessbook of work records for longest session cant get tubed? srsly?

13. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I think the problem is that you aren't a very good surfer

14. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Riding a crumbling wave is not real surfing. Once you ride a solid wall of water and believe me you will know when it happens, then you will have experienced what surfing really is…keep pushing yourself.

15. kurebeachsurfer

Jul 31, 2012
    Ive got a gun that was busted and the guy who fixed it screwed it up so I was forced to choose between a couple of other ones that I brought down. BigMoneyT.. joking paralyzed children is kinda even beneath you isnt it?

16. BigMoneyT

BigMoneyT Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    makeitstop killed you brah...

17. weathermaang

weathermaang Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    hey kurebeachsurfer,

Appropriate board choice definitely makes a difference.

It's likely that the board your riding has many design elements that aid in catching and riding small mushy waves, but none of those things (boxy rails, low rocker, wide curvy planshape) are good for pulling into big barrels.

However, you do see guys out on longboards even on massive days, but you'll notice that those guys sit way outside and get in super EARLY.. set the rail and hold on tight. You shouldn't expect to make a critical drop on a funboard/egg..

For winter/hurricane surfing talk to a local shaper and try to get something with a pulled in pin tail, and continuous rocker.

For example, I'm 5'9", 175 lbs and I ride a 6'3" pintail single fin in waves head high to as big and hollow as I can paddle into. Most guys probably would advise against the single fin but with the right board they work very well and I'll tell you from my 20yrs surfing, if you're not trying to win any small wave shred fest contests and looking to really get serious about learning to surf well, a proper single fin board is a good place to start.

Challenging yourself in the fall/winter surf season, and getting your ass handed to you is essential east coast surf training and we've all been there. The important thing obviously is to learn from it and keep surfing!

Good luck!

18. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I killed your mom's pooswah!

19. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    dont ever quote me

20. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I've never not been humbled by solid east groundswell on Hatteras.