Gonzalo

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by frost, Oct 12, 2014.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Watched some dude on a yellow board get absolutely munched a few times. Location about 1.5 miles into the wild side. wtf, this dood was launching into obvious closeouts, are you from Indo or something? And yet, props in the same sentence cause whoever was on that board kept going back for more abuse to the point of hilarity.
    Entertaining, esp when the swell picked up a bit early afternoon on Saturday.

Of course, the stories being told by that yellow target are of mackin' barrels oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh uh huh uh huh

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This description is accurate: totally picked up on Sat afternoon. We surfed DP for a few hours on Saturday, chowed down & crashed out, woke up to "it's getting bigger out there; whoa let's get on it." And most people had split for lawn cutting honey do chores.

3. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Yup, as we were driving in around 11:30, we saw an endless procession of boards on cars leaving. I was feeling really disappointed until I walked over the dunes. Then I was standing there with my longboard, thinking "should have brought the spear". But my LB is kinda special, born on the North Shore, so it can handle that stuff.

4. Rob Gnarley

Rob Gnarley Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Lol, Im glad you enjoyed those as well.
    I was pulling into everything... Didnt make it out of that many lol
    I am from the worlds most consistent big waves surf spot.....Delaware haha

Did you see the guy on the kayak? That was pretty funny. I give him credit tho, he was going for the sets, got separated from the yak, swam to his yak, and go out for another one.

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Yah the guy on the yak was a piece of work. Props for the stoke, he kept going back for more punishment. Some of his beatings were, truly, epic for AI.

6. CaptJAQ

Jul 22, 2011
    I had a chat with yak dude after I got out, and he was taking a break. He was originally from GA, and moved to Salisbury. He said shortly after moving he discovered the only nearby whitewater was the ocean. He really was charging it all, wasn't he? My wife was on the beach, and said she couldn't watch him, she kept wondering if he was going to come up. He kept asking me what time it was, as he lost his watch during one of the beatings.

Yankee, sounds like you, me and Rob Gnarley were brushing elbows. I was the old dude on the log in my aviator, trunking it in Greg Noll jailhouse style and a hat. The pic I posted earlier in this tread is yellow board Gnarley, that I just happened to capture.

7. endlessummer89

endlessummer89 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I gotta be less lazy in my search for breaks to surf (I live in NJ). Every time I leave the water disappointed after a big swell, like Saturday, I go on Surfline the next day and proceed to see amazing barrels and pictures "somewhere in NJ."

8. headrow

headrow Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2007
    CaptJaq - these you? Not great shots but.... IMG_8092.jpg IMG_8093.jpg IMG_8094.jpg IMG_8043.jpg

This last one looks like the same board...earlier in the day. Without the hat tho
    IMG_8043.jpg

9. CaptJAQ

Jul 22, 2011
    The hat looks right, but the board looks green to me and kinda short. My board is a 10'0", and red and white. That board looks smaller? Can you check the timestamp on those? I was first a short walk north of the first catwalk in the National Park, then paddled down a little south of it where Rob Gnarley was.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. headrow

headrow Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Ok, it was someone else. I was down the southern tip of the Fed side, just before the OSV area. Yeah, that board is definitely green/light blue.

11. CaptJAQ

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks for trying. If you ever see me out in the water, say hi. Aside from the occasional Robert August "Wingnut" model, there aren't too many boards that look like mine. Because it is a Hawaiian shape (Country Surfboards), with rocker throughout and drawn in at the nose and tail, it can handle some heavy surf. It doesn't have that "catches anything" quality that most LBs with less rocker have, but I'm willing to put in more work catching waves to have the ability to make more takeoffs when it gets steep and pitchy.

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I say we plan a massive SI Roundup at AI next October.

13. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    I say we do one this year! But most people won't show cause they're scared and hide behind these SN's and fraudulent stories!

14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hahaha hells yeah! It would be interesting to see who would come out of the woodwork.

15. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    It always looks better in photos

16. CaptJAQ

Jul 22, 2011
    We did two this year already. Just nobody knew about them. A bunch of us were there on October 4th and October 18th, just didn't find out until after the fact.

Assuming I can break away from work, I'm in. Keep me on the invite list. I may end up being the senior member, but I don't care. I can hang with the kids :) (at least for a while).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  17. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Yeah dude I mean a legit planned meet up! I'll meet up with anybody from the SI and share some stoke...I ain't never scured! Isn't that part of what joining an online surf community is all about meet new paople go on adventures and always share your drugs dudes!

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  19. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    saw those pics last night, makes me proud to be an nj surfer and to have scored those waves