Do I take the plunge?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 252surfer, Oct 28, 2014.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have actually hired a few zombies in my time.

2. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    I saw this on a sign, somewhere in the back of the Natural Art Surf Shop in Buxton, NC

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life"

Ponder that at every crossroad.

3. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    I love that shop. Buxton is such a great town. I love that place. Another magical place I wouldn't mind living.

4. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Haha luckily for me it just in name only now, my zombie days are behind me. Half the time there aren't enough hours in the day for what I try to accomplish now. Just got my year clean a little over a month ago and it's crazy looking back at how bad things were then compared to where I'm at now in life.

Seen posters of nearly the same thing, "Don't dwell so much on creating your perfect life that you forget to live"

Definitely a moto to live by

5. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    Well the deed is done. I start November 10th. Cool thing is I get t second day of work off because our veterans. Thank you to those brave guys that died or have served to allow me a day off in their name. Also valeting tonight at a restaurant on the bay. Have a front row seat to the rocket launch tonight barring any boats or misshaps. Will post pic later in the wallops thread

6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Nice work and congrats again! What is KillaKiel gonna do without his brohan now??

7. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Take it. That salary is pretty low, but in all honesty, I was happier as a bike messenger for $50/day on a good day and the ability to get away pretty much anytime I wanted. Now, with more patients than patience, my salary has improved significantly and I have a house full of toys but most collect dust. I have very little time to surf, especially with it getting light so late and dark so early. Enjoy it, and don't start having kids until you're at least 90.

8. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Congrats, 757. This is the green light on your journey called "career", and is only the first step through many doors that will open later for you. Jobs like yours don't open very often for young men, consider yourself blessed.

9. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Take it. The economy is by no means recovered and any fresh graduate getting a job offer is really good.

You're also outside driving around so that's a 1000% plus to that job

10. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    Thank you guys again. It means a lot. Yea I just found out there is no real dress code either. Things just looking better. Man I jinxed the launch pretty good....

11. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    There's always a dress code. You just don't know what it is yet.

12. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    now we have the same hours haha

13. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    My boss said those exact words. Business Casual for my first couple days and then once I'm out in the field on my own I can wear what the job for the day calls for

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds kinky

15. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    It's good to be The Man. The boss thing, it's in my dna, amigo.

16. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Wise choice 757. And you won't miss too many sessions with a 9-5 job. Remember, usually some of the cleaner surf is around sunrise and sunset, when the wind tends to lay down, and crowds are lighter... at least that has been my experience (especially in the summer when the hot sand creates a localized onshore breeze during mid day).

Be well.

17. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    One other thing, young & restless 757: don't 'out-dress' your clients. Meaning, if your clients are guys who wear denim & tees, who get dirt under their fingernails, who believe that a man is as good as his handshake.....do not show up in a tie, and do not show up in shiny penny loafers. Just sayin.....the basics make a huge difference.

You are gonna be judged from the minute you walk through the door, as to how you speak & what you say & what you drive. You might think it's not fair? Get over it, keed, and quickly. That's how it rolls.

You'll be fine.

18. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Just remember... doesn't matter how much money you make - it's how much you keep.

19. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    ^^ awesome point.

Overhead will suck the life outta ya if you don't keep a lid on it.

20. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Join the real world! Surfin' won't pay the bills.
    The job is in the field that you majored in, right? That should be a good thing and is supposedly why you went to college. A lot of grads end up not working in fields related to their majors. Some are busing tables.

It's not a "trap", it's an opportunity. Take advantage of it and be grateful. These things don't come around often. Get your foot in the door, gain some useful experience, and make yourself more marketable. You're still young and unencumbered. Plenty of time to get to CA.

Just read your later post on accepting the job. Good for you and congratulations!
    Wishing you the best.
    I have three in college now.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014