Average Joe VS. DWART (HELPPP!!)

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Agorman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Hi all! I could use some advice.
    The cause of this post (and joining swell info, for that matter) is that of severe confliction, between the dwart and the joe. I've been surfing an 8' single fin for around five years, tried stepping down to a 6'6' nsp fish a couple of years ago, but never really got into it. Basically it was just way too big seeing as how I'm only 5'9" and 105lbs (16 and still growing). I want to try stepping down again, but not into a traditional shortboard. I'm look more into an eggish cruisey kind of shortboard, but not so cruisey to the point where you can't progress on it into doing some rail to rail and maybe even some airs. In addition, I want to be able to surf this board in 1-2ft (clean) surf and also in the overhead barrels that come in every so often throughout the year in Encinitas CA. Essentially, a shortboard with some longboard aspects so that I can both cruise and shred. Thus, I narrowed it down to the dwart (5'4"-5'6") and the joe (5'3"). However, these are two pretty different boards from what i've been told. The dwart is skatey and can handle all types of conditions, and the joe is cruisey but can't/shouldn't be surfed in anything over head high. I'm beginner/intermediate and have never surfed anything under 45 liters so i'm a little hesitant about how small to go, but I want to be able to duck dive at the same time. Sorry for not keeping this short, but I really don't want to make the wrong choice (even though it's the surfer that makes the board.)
    Any and all help/advice/info about what i'm looking for and the boards is much appreciated!:D

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You're 16. You're a self-admitted beginner / intermediate. You weigh 105 lbs.

Ok, first of all do we need to start a food drive? Or are your parents prioritizing your career as a jockey?

Secondly, you're 16. Keed, if you love surfing & you stay with it you are going to spend so much freakin money on boards in the next 45 years.

Ergo, just pick a board, try to test drive it, and go for it. You're way, way too young & inexperienced to be lookin' for the perfect stick.

It's like lookin' for the perfect babe, first of all they don't exist, and second of all the longer you wait the better off your wallet will be.

Both Dwart & the AJ are good boards. The performance depends on the rider.

3. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Don't By an egg u said ur a beginner u ain't gonna be doing a air on a frickin egg u ding bird
    Get a shortboard grow some hair on that bird chest

4. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Get the dwart...capable of a wider range of conditions. Also buy it used...tons of used boards in CA

5. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
    I appreciate the honesty. The jockey is still a definite maybe, if i can magically stay at my weight and shrink four inches-----Also, I know i'm not gonna find the the perfect one board quiver, but you can't blame a guy for trying. They're both pretty similar, so if you had to choose one, which one would it be and why?

6. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
    That's what I've heard...But the boards aren't that different except for the tails, so what makes the dwart better in different conditions?

7. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I agree with everything he said

8. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Not sure how the AJ is but I trust the other posters. Dwart is the bomb!!!! Mad stoke.

9. KillinMeSmalls

KillinMeSmalls Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2014
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWmFWRVLlU[/video]

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm known for being brutally honest, keed - that's why I have a troll posse that stalks me on this Forum & that's why I win the big awards.

Ah, but seriously...I'm the furthest thing from an expert. Here's my 2 centavos. I own a Dwart but its dims are bigger than anything you'll be on & that's cause I'm 6'2, 210, which you may be in, like, 25 years. Dwart's been a good board in OH Costa Rica beach break, a good wave catcher, easy to ride, responsive, fun. Also have a ...Lost Lazyboy, nearly the same dims as the Dwart. My humble opinion is that the LZB paddles faster than does the Dwart, and no I don't know why this is it's just my personal take on the board.

A friend of mine owns an AJ & she surfs it really well. AJ is too small for my big bones.

Like I said, it's on the rider as to performance - - they're both well-designed sticks.

If you're lucky, maybe the good shaper surfer guys like Mitchell will weigh in with opinions. Just beware any advice from a bearded dod who likes to surf in an orange jumpsuit & a white helmet.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  11. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Its the rocker and the foil (distribution of thickness throughout the board) of the board. The AJ will have a better lower end due to being flatter wider (NT) as well as having less curve on the bottom of the board and overall just plain thicker. The dwart will work in a wider range of conditions if you oversize it a bit...however, due to more curve in the nose as well as an overall more "shortboard" foil/distribution of thickness compared to the AJ it will work better for waves with a bit more curve

But as you said you wanted...

I would say the Dwart fits the bill...I would get the 5'6" for ease of use when surfing small and larger waves.

dwarf-rusty-1600l.jpg channel-islands-average-joe-51-x-20-3-8-x-2-1-4-5-fin-surfbo-r72165-200px-280px.jpg

12. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
  13. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    They're completely different designs. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think the Dwart has more range than the AJ. Dwart's more pulled in features and rocker let it surf bigger/steeper waves than the AJ, but isn't going to perform as well as the AJ in the really small stuff. The Joe has a fuller nose and hippy/square tail, so it's gonna paddle a little easier and turn snappier.

as much as I love Rusty boards and kinda dislike CI, I would actually buy an Average Joe before a Dwart. When you get better and get the AJ wired, add a Dwart to round out you smaller wave quiver. DO NOT GO OVER THE MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED SIZE!

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This ^ guy usually knows what he's talking about with boards, keed. :cool:

15. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Awesome, thanks. The lazy boy seems very similar to the shape of the joe so i'll give a look into that. Much appreciated.
    I'll keep an eye out for said dod.

16. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Hmmm... should I buy Nike or Adidas?

Step 1: eat something and file a CPS report on your parents.

Step 2: this is the one time I am not going to plug DHD boards here--- drive down to your local shaper and tell him everything you just told us, and get a magic little stick made just for your Ethiopian figure. If you've got the gas money, go down to Sharpeye and have Marcio put together a piece of foam for you.

Step 3: when those boards fail you, buy a DHD double shot.

Step 4: on the 1' days, practice getting laid and stop surfing.

I have seen a dude shred an AJ top to bottom. I was impressed and almost bought one myself. Go to the CI boardbuilder website and play with the dims just for fun. You can customize it anyway you like.

Mrs. Two Barrels surfs a Dwart and enjoys it. It was her first short board and she transitioned from a 7" custom funnish-board with a big middle fin and two trailers. She got barrelled for the first time three weeks ago (didn't make it) and has been progressing well this year on it. I personally hate it for no other reason that I just don't get it, but I am not a fan of fishy nosed boards.

17. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Interesting, because rusty says that you can surf it in anything from 1-10 feet (obviously I wouldn't be going that big) but one of the shapers at my local shop said basically what you did in that the boards both have pretty much the same limits, but that the dwart will be a little easier for steep drops with the increased rocker. Thanks a ton!
    Btw, yankee here says you know what you're talking about, so do you have an opinion as to how the lost rv compares to these boards?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  18. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
    I think it's funny that you automatically blame my parents haha. They nag me everyday about eating more. Working on step four but I think my Ethiopian figure might be holding me back...
    Glad to hear the Mrs. is getting some fun out of the dwart, and that Joe can go top to bottom. I'll shoot sharp eye an email and see what they have to say. Thanks!

19. Agorman

Agorman Member

Nov 5, 2014
  20. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Who is this dude you speak of?