Puerto Rico Surf December-

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by kevjax, Nov 11, 2014.

1. kevjax

kevjax Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Going on a trip to Puerto this winter. Want to know from others opinions what is the better option...the north coast(Isabella area) or the west coast( Rincon). Not looking for double overhead waves, would rather have clean head high personally. What would be the most consistent in December!<br /><br />Also any recommendations for a house?<br /><br />thanks

2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    stay at jobos.
    when the swell hits rent a car and hit rincon.
    when the swell stops back to jobos.
    yes there are nasty-types at jobos.
    sidestep 'em like everybody else does.
    also in general be careful - in and out da water - with spongers.

3. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    ^^^^^^

Yeah the North coast is a better option. Personally I like to stay in Aguadilla. Jobos and Middles is always crowded and the wind comes up early. If theres little swell get up early and go to Isabella for the AM. I used to stay at Shacks and the the drive up and down the hill from Isabella to Surfers and Wildos got tiresome. Better vibes and more peaceful in the Wildos area. If the swell gets big head down to Rincon for the day. Rincon can be a zoo with tons of touristas. Aguadilla is centrally located so leaving the beach to go back to your place ain't so bad provided your staying on Ramey Base.

4. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Palmas vacation rentals has a lot of affordable options on Ramey Base. The places are clean with all amenities and the management is very helpful.

http://www.palmaspr.com/

5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I'd stay on the North coast. You can be in the water at first light at Middles or Jobos then head to Wilderness when the morning breeze starts. If there is real swell you can head to Rincon. You'll never get skunked on the North coast but Rincon can get pretty flat.

6. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Always wanted to go to Puerto for my first surf trip... Might go for a graduation trip/gift with my dad.

7. kevjax

kevjax Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks for the insight! Hopefully the crowds won't be too thick though

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    this is a GREAT location...but you might need a car.

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Just rent a car - all the breaks are relatively close to each other.

10. kevjax

kevjax Member

Aug 21, 2012
    wish i was 21 hah, guess we are walking?

11. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Definitely want a car, to travel around. North coast is super consistent, and there will always be waves there. Rincon area, is essentially a surf town and very americanized, but it can get flat spells when there are no NW swells. Rincon is has great waves when there is a NW swell, and is more often then not offshore with the trade winds. The North Coast on the other hand will often have to deal with late morning sea breezes. If you have a car, you can drive around the Rincon, Aguadilla, Isabella area quite easily.

12. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I prefer Rincon. North get's blown out too early (by 9-10 am usually) and it's usually blown out all day.
    Rincon has more people but better bars and restaurants.
    In the unlikely event Rincon is flat or really small, you drive north for scraps.

13. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Beware of speed traps. There are these "school zones" that are barely identified. Despacio, brah, dessss-paccc-iiii-oooooo.

14. GnarlesBarkley

GnarlesBarkley Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    When the swell comes, which happens somewhat frequently during december/january, waves are generally OH on the north coast. During those swells, Rincon is smaller but cleaner. Go to Rincon. more spots, less driving, more restaurants/bars.

15. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

That is what I've always done. Stayed in Rincon, and drove north when we wanted.

16. longboardjohnny

longboardjohnny Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Agree to stay in Rincon. Fly JetBlue into BQN out of JFK and you will be in the water by 11 am. Then head to Rincon for some afternoon surf. You can rent a decent board at Unlimited Surf right by the airport. Every morning wake up early and surf North till wind picks up around 10-11 then get some food then head back to Rincon for afternoon session. After that, grab a few beers / dinner in Rincon then crash. Wash, rinse, repeat each day! Last day surf north, return board, hop on plane. Have done this quite a few times and always has worked for me.

17. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If you fly in to BQN ou of JFK you should be waiting for the sun to come up to surf. I always take the 11:59 Pm flight and have my car by 5:30... Sitting Surfers or Wildo and wait for first light

18. srfmdi418

srfmdi418 Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Villa tropical is a pretty good place to stay. Right on shacks beach. Affordable condos overlooking the water.

19. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    and it has as much empty beach as one could want....

20. neptunehui

neptunehui Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010