Surfing in Maine

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by HiLine, Nov 14, 2014.

1. HiLine

HiLine New Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Whats going on everyone? So I will be moving to Maine in January for the winter. Gonna be looking for some spots to surf, if I can handle the cold. Wouldn't mind haven a buddy to surf with or grab a beer. Anybody on here do surfing up there?

2. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I've heard tales of epic proportions from some dudes who worked on lobster boats. Boulder reef setups in the middle of nowhere that broke perfectly, etc, etc. Find a friend with a boat. Ya can't get they-yah from hee-yah.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi HiLine, welcome to SI. A lot of the swellers do surfing up there, I'm sure some of the guys up North will chime in soon.

Will this be your first winter in a northern climate?

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I was cruising in a boat up there a while ago...not a surf related ride...and out of nowhere, in generally calm water, this 3 foot glassy perfect little wave starts reeling across what must've been an underwater ledge...I started frothing so hard I almost just dove in to bodysurf it...interesting to watch the depth finder whilst cruising up there.

5. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    there are a ton of hidden/secret spots up that way that get all sorts of different swell angles. be prepared to wear a bunch of rubber. start following Nick LaVechia or Grain Surfboards. those people have that place dialed in.

6. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    just dont tell ihl any secrets, he will blog them and ask why people hate as he cant fathom that there are repercussions for stupid actions

7. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    [video=youtube;AnIIgOEONa0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnIIgOEONa0[/video]

8. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    can't tell you anything a basic map wouldn't, and i definitely don't own a boat or know anyone with one. however, i can tell you that the vibe is usually always chill besides the occasional stink eye. getting to know the spots in terms incoming/outgoing and offshores is most beneficial.

on the temp note, it really isn't that bad...that is if you want waves bad enough. and you joined a surf forum so i assume the temps won't bother you much. if they do you join everybody else that heads north for the slopes during the winter...more waves for those of us left in the ocean. seriously, it thins out pretty nicely, especially around january/february when the bottom falls out of the water.

last winter met a guy from san diego before a paddle out. moved here for the winter and was totally stoked on the waves here.

but to the rest of you, it's super cold here, there are sometimes icebergs in the line up, and all the swells are killed by 40 mph WNW offshores so don't bother.

OP-good luck on your move. my schedule is always super sketchy with work, wife's work, and a two year old to juggle, along with swells. you should have a decent winter though!

9. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    this looks Maine-ish

http://vimeo.com/85369949

this has to be a known spot, right brahs? so wide-open and there's a "crowd" on it. i am clueless regarding NE breaks. i need to get out more.

10. CBLACK

CBLACK Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    I freaking love surfing up there. Just be open minded to what type of board to ride because a lot of swell gets blocked. Drive around too! That coast is so all over the place that all it takes is a little 30sec ride around to the other side of the point and you could score.

11. HiLine

HiLine New Member

Nov 14, 2014
    haha that cool runnings video had me laughing. i will be staying in the Portland area. If I see a wave that looks decent I'm going to want to surf it, cold or not. I'm sure the waves will stoke me out, living in Florida for a while i froth whenever I see something decent. What kind of suits are you guys wearing up there during that time?

12. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    literally NOTHING has happened since that post. why are you so salty, salty guy?

13. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    I think that Vimeo clip was from the York area...not 100% sure on that.

If you'll be in Portland you'll likely head to Higgins Beach 90% of the time. Ogunquit is generally considered the best (well known) break in S. ME, but I'm telling you...the local guys there are total a-holes. They're known for that. I once had a run in (more like a run over) there that made me want to quit surfing. My home break is Kennebunk, and it couldn't be more mellow. Probably the mushiest waves compared to the more exposed breaks in S. ME (York, Ogunquit, Wells, Old Orchard, Fortunes, Higgins), but it's so close to home for me.

I surf year-round and like the winter best. No one in the water, and the waves seem to have much more power. Kennebunk can hold 6-8ft better than most places...it closes out far less at that size.

I wear a 5.5/4.5 hooded ripcurl suite with numerous repairs. I was never cold all of last winter as long as I stayed in for less than 2 hours. Several mornings were 0-5F air temps. Oh, 7mm booties and mittens are also very necessary.

PM me if you're gonna be in the area. I adore a good beer.

14. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    sounds like you ran into an old crow in oguonquit hahahah was the guy wearing a helmet ?

15. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    No, worse. He was fat, ugly and was riding a vividly white single-fin longboard on a HH+ day (why?). The bastahd bulldozed me while making no attempt to steer out of the way. He was trying to send a message to a new face at the break. It worked...haven't gone back there since.

16. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Stay away from anyone in a Maine barn, esp them thar that like to put a whuppin' on a latex dummy.

17. HiLine

HiLine New Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks for the advice Mad Atom, ill PM you once in the area

18. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    long sands for sure

19. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    I surf ME all the time.

A few years ago a website put up for sale an e-book up all the surf spots in Maine, with ariel photos and swell beta, etc. I saved the 40 pages of PDF, and good thing too because the site disappeared I feel like I have holy grail, but it is for sure the best Maine beta around in writing. Doesn't go farther north than Rockport/Camden area, which I suspect is very fickle and once-in-a-whiley.

Summer sucks with crowds and parking is horrific. Say goodbye to Oguncuit and Gooch unless you get a parking pass in advance and rise with the chickens for the latter. Higgins is no surfing 9-5 during the summer too.

Off the top of my head, Gooch's in Kennebunk and Higgins in Scarborough are south facing and can fire when the east facing spots get blown out. Maybe Fortune's Rocks too? I forget. I think most of the rest of the state is E/ESE facing... I will probably be corrected for making that assertion though.

I love/hate Gooch. The Gooch will deliver most of the time, but I hate the shape of the wave. Its usually weakish, though it gets hollow. I just havent unlocked the mystery to that wave yet. Beautiful scenery though.

I love Higgins too. Bros can be grumpy there but they seem more douchy than scary. People say its a weaker wave, but I enjoy it. It fires over by the rivermouth sometimes.

I havent made it to Oguncuit or Long Sands or anywhere south of Gooch really. If I need an east facing beach I stick to NH.

I hear good things about Popham but I am yet to get out there.

I have seen hurricane footage of Bar Harbor going off but that was years ago.

I am a wuss, so I wear a 4/3 with a few holes in it in the summer, and by now I am in a 6/5. I dont own a 5/4, which would probably be the way to go. But if I were a dog, based on my physicality I would be a boston terrier, so I get cold easily. Grain o salt I guess.

20. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Most anyone can pm me for my email, and I will send them out the pdf of the spots.