How many Swellers really also LB and/or SUP??

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by EmassSpicoli, Nov 18, 2014.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    'Preciate it, buoyz but I swear it's an addiction, just like Carter parked on the beach with his HI gun I dig just being around surfboards.

2. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Was it vintage, or a reproduction? Mine was so heavy, and so strong, one day I hit the pier on 96th street in Stone Harbor, and the darn thing didn't even get a ding on it! (I think the pier was ok too.)

Full on hatchet fin too...

3. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Quality quiv yankee. You'll soon have the SI board count title as I'm thinning mine out. That's a far more classic collection anyway. Where do you store the bigger boards in the bunch? Hangers?

The posts like yankee's in dis tread that list quiver content as well as when you bring out your LB/SUP and how you get after it are encouraged. It's helpful to know what guys here use to attack different conditions and what objectives they have in doing so. We've got a well-rounded group here and the surf talk (as little as there is) can get SB-centric at times. Ironic, when the EC doesn't exactly give us a canvas for SBs at all times. Let us know how you preserve the stoke on the smaller days.

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Def not vintage. Just a modern retro beast. That's a good story about slamming into the pier & emerging ding-less. The shredmachine would be envious of that kind of pier shott!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I bought myself a 9' longboard last June, after years of bodyboarding. The longboard was an attempt to get some enjoyment out of a time when the forecast called for 1-2' day in day out, seems like forever.

The LB is ok when conditions are just right, like 2', 8 seconds. But I still prefer the sponge when it's big, choppy, drifty, long swell periods, short swell periods....

And the LB seems like it's gonna be hard on the knees, too. But maybe that's just because I'm 58.

6. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I agree with all this. I ride a long board for chest high and smaller and fish/shortboard for bigger. I live next to a river and bought my first SUP this past spring. I took it out in the surf and really, truly just hated trying to ride wave on it. It's really good for fishing, though, when the fish are out too far to reach casting from the beach.
    I bungee a milk crate to the front with a piece of PVC pipe attached to hold the pole. Really, it's more fun to have a fish pull you around on one of those things than it is to try and catch waves.

7. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Jimbo, cut the crapola. We know you're selling an overpriced wetty. We saw it in the other treads. Although some of us act like it at times, we are not special needs category and don't need to be told the same thing ten times to know that you're hawking an already pissed in (or bleffed in...) hunk of rubber that doesn't even have tags. Please remove yourself from dis tread as we are all enjoying it quite much. It's a surf-related discussion, not a classified section for your neoprene piss rag.

Ok. Thanks. Bai.

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've only ever SUP'd when it's loggable... but I chose the SUP to get to some spots that I wouldn't prone paddle to. On a SUP, getting there is half the fun. Either way, I don't log or SUP unless it's waist high crap or smaller. You can have a ton of fun in peeling knee to thigh high surf on a noserider... but you really can't do that on a SUP (or at least I can't).

If it's waist high and good, I'll use a groveler or fish. If it's waist to chest and soft, I'll still use the fish, or a Mini Sim.

Chest to shoulder high and soft... still a fish or flat rockered groveler. Chest to shoulder high and good... shortboard.

Head high and up, no matter what the conditions... shortboard.

9. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010

First time met Yank @ AI, most of the quiver strapped to top of his SUV. I thought he robbed a surf shop on his way so what ever the conditions he has the right stick. You forgot to mention the Robert August WIR is a California custom, beautiful board and maybe I'll own it one day .............

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Gracias senor. Too bad I can't surf 'em like they deserve.....maybe in my next lifetime, G-Man.

Speaking of gorgeous boards how come you left off your newest LB? That's a sweet ride. You have good taste, paisan.

11. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    if its small and mushy - SUP
    if its mushy - LB
    if there are waves - SB

if there are waves and its windy - kite
    if there are no waves/wind - fish
    if there are no fish - hunt/shoot
    if you cant fish/hunt - skate

follow these rules and you will know stoke

12. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I bought an 8' Nerfboard 2 years ago and the waves have sucked ever since. I tried to give it away but it keeps coming back! I got another Curseboard. Sorry to all surfers within 100 nautical miles of me.

13. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Wish I had High Enough Ceilings in my Shop the Stand my boards up like that and still be able to move them easy without fear of Dings and stuff bumping up against them

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    photo.jpg
    Yah it's a nice thing to have after trying to get them in & out of the house without bumping into every damn thing.

And.... 'preciate that spicoli.
    I am fortunate enough to own a commercial bldg with 18' interior walls. Bought the plexi wall hanger board racks: the RA & some other sticks are up there, reminding me why I work so much.... It's ez to remove boards from those racks, load onto the rig & roll.

15. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    I'm looking for something similar to an lb now, don't think I want to go all out 9+ ft....but it's something I lack. I end up taking a hybrid out in knee high surf all the time...leads to a lot of frustration. I'm not above renting an SUP and paddling around the the manasquan inlet when there is nothing else to do. I'd never drop the wood on an sup though...that money could be much better spent.

16. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah you can alway go with a Mini Log 8'6 I rode a few and the only set back is on days when the waves are small or don't have a lot of push you find you're missing waves you could get with a full size log. Talk to Paul Baymore he has Surfboards by Fly or Wynn they could make you something custom for you

17. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Nice setup. 80%+ of any board damage I've ever sustained has been in the transport in tighter quarters. Been better lately about only having my sticks out of bags during the time they're in the water.

For 3rdP's wishes, what do you guys think about 8+ ft with all LB properties otherwise?

18. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I really enjoy riding longboards in the right waves. Anything clean- it's actually funner long boarding in bigger surf- like head hi. When it's small like knee hi you can't really get the full experience cause you can only move so much on a 1ft wave.

Rode my 9'6 single fin tonight at a popular break in the middle of spring lake. No was out. I don't know how that happened... But it was peeling like I have never seen it peel before. Waist with occasional chest. Perfect! Best waves(as far as peeling/long rides, not hight) in a long time for long boarding! Perfect shape! Where were you guys?? Belmar??

19. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    If your thinking about getting an 8ft vs 9ft- go for the longer. Seriously- you can turn them about the same and will both be as much as a pain to paddle out with thru bigger surf. With the longer- you'll more float and better rides in smaller waves. And get the single fin... You'll thank me later

20. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah I would agree a nice single Fin would be great 8 to 9 inch fin with good flex depending on the size of the board