Surfside beach replenishment?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Deepee king, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Deepee king

Deepee king Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Does anybody know when/if they did the ol 4 year sand dump yet? Could have sworn i heard they were supposed to do it this past spring, but its a while since i have made the trip south.

2. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Holy fook? Someone else from G-Town! Hey Deepee. Don't know your answer, Nat Kitchen might. He pops in from time to time.

3. Deepee king

May 30, 2013
    I kinda think its weird that there isnt more people in Texas posting on this forum. Most people on si would assume its because theres not many people shredding in the great ol state. Bet they wouldnt believe it if they saw all the weekend wariors packed into jetty park on a forecasted swell, or the people at any given jetty off the wall everyday after 5 pm when surfing short period windblown chop.

4. tonylamont

tonylamont Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Ellis Pickett indicated last spring that it was supposed to start after September (post-turtle nesting season) but haven't heard anything since - I assume I would've heard something if it was happening. I usually surf in the Corpus area and haven't been to Surfside in a year or two so no eyewitness accounts.

With Jerry Patterson going out of office I hope this doesn't mean that the project is dead.

5. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Most of these guys are East Coast. Lots from The Belmar, NJ and surrounding villages. Other tribes from New England, Fla, and Cackalackee. Of course we have a little of everywhere, just the majority is EC.

Yeah, it can get fun here, just not that often. I'm not here only for the surf. Bailed from the rat race a few yrs back. Came here to be with family to get a starting point. Never left! I'm an IBC.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. chetzki

chetzki New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Deepee king - I have an answer for you (maybe). We have a place out there and I'm told they will start in January or February 2015. Not so funny story why it got delayed - or at least what I'm told...

Chetzki

7. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Last time they did it it actually made it better. Les freeze would know.

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    If only that was the case everywhere, one of my favorite Gulf breaks is in ruins right now, not nearly the same as it use to be

9. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I met a guy from Galveston who moved here recently, and he said the surf there is never great, but fairly consistent relative to east coast standards. After reading a few posts form that area, I kind of believe him.
    However, no matter what, it's still Texas.

10. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    look at south padre island every time i look there is swell there almost every week?

11. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I met and surfed with a guy from South Padre Island on my first Mainland Mex surf trip back in '81. His local break was Bolsa Chica, and he was a very good surfer with a very good looking Hispanic girlfriend that he was eloping with. Being from SoCal, I didn't have a clue that Texas had waves. SPI is arguably the most consistent spot in the Texas Gulf, and the water has more of an aqua clarity similar to the Florida Gulf than the usually ruddier TX waters. Rumor has it that the surfers are perpetually stoked and friendly, without the localistic habits and accompanying stinkeye. Always wanted to go there, but never found the time and/or the $$$.

FWIW: Good on ya, Texas surfers. Keep the stoke.

Check out Sea Gypsys Photographs dot com for some tasty samples.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  12. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Like this? Lol

Attached Files:

13. tonylamont

Jul 8, 2011
    TX has rideable surf way more consistently than you would think. But it usually is weak, crappy short period windswell with howling onshores - often a total mess. We have fun here, but you East and West Coasters should consider yourselves lucky - you have groundswell.

14. Deepee king

May 30, 2013
    Right on, ibc as well. Buncha family on the island. Grew up surfing WB as a kid, currently exist for the once a year trip to so cal, and the occasional trip to port A and Gorda keeps me breathing.

15. kidrock

Aug 1, 2010
    I've heard stories about a certain "cut" with a long jetty that can only be accessed by a long 4-wheel drive in the sand along a National Seashore (I know the name, but don't want to blow up the spot)...I've heard stories from some of old compadres that the spot goes off, almost like a true point break. Do any of you Tejas boys have any knowledge of this area? Is it as consistent or as good as the stories I've heard?

16. tonylamont

Jul 8, 2011
    Personally I have never surfed it. But yes, that spot is reputed to get quite good – sometimes. However, it is logistically very difficult to get to and reputedly quite sharky. And remember, as much as we are stoked on Texas surf, "good" for Texas is relative. Conditions are very changeable due to the short period wind swell and the usual high velocity onshore winds. To catch spots going off in Texas, you often have to drop everything and be there in a matter of an hour or less. I bet that only a small number of people catch that spot going off, and they do so because they have serious local knowledge and superior logistical access.

17. kidrock

Aug 1, 2010
    superior logistical access = boat.

I like to check the wind and wave charts for Texas infrequently, especially during 'canes that hit the Gulf. Seriously dude, it seems like it never stops blowing onshore in those parts...and I mean HARD. Always like 20+ knots, straight onshore. I don't know how you guys do it. But I've seen the pix, so I know it goes off every blue moon or so.

Seems like a big storm will move through the area for a day or three, then you guys will get a 2-3 hour window of chest high surf with favorable winds. But the offshores just flatten it out almost immediately. Add a 5-second interval. Gotta imagine you'd really have to be on top of your game to make it happen there.

Again, big props to Tejas surfers. Mahalo!!!

18. tonylamont

Jul 8, 2011
    Boat=you got it.

<15 mph onshores = TX offshores lol.

It's pretty fun when it comes together here but wish it did so more often.

19. Deepee king

May 30, 2013
    The info is appreciated mr Chetzki, And Nat Mr. Lester tends to repair my equipment I bet he would know hes always got the SS scoop.

20. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Y'all are right about narrow windows. It'll be blowing 25 mph onshore all week, HH Victory at Sea. Then a front will come through with 25 mph OFFshores. If you're there RIGHT when it happens, it's pretty cool. Can actually see the changes. Wind dies down, things start to glass over, then the wind changes to basically N, off shore. Gets cold (N wind - brrr), spray starts blowin back off the wave tops, and it's on. Three hours later, it's ankle high. Sometimes, we'll be waitin all week for this to happen, and it does, between midnight and sunrise... BOOO!!!