wet...suites?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Salty, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I've been off of this forum for a long time, and on a whim decided to check it out once again - but there's one thing I wondered about: when did "wet suits" become "wet suites"? Is this a new "change", or did a new batch of ignorant morons who don't know how to spell join the forum? - Anyway, I think I'm checking out of this forum once again (so all of you guys -I don't know, maybe 40 - 50% of the posters who can't spell, don't need to write nasty responses to this post - I won't be reading them anyway! Otherwise, enjoy the cold (and somewhat less crowded) winter swells when they come. I'll be in the water, not on my computer. Aloha!

2. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes it is wetsuites now. Someone else can probably explain the origin better than I can.

3. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    It's a new model, with lots and lots of rooms to it, top floor...

4. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Well someone made a satrical post (posing as a newbie) asking what type of wetsuite to wear.

Then everyone kinda went nuts with it.

5. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    EMass... Where you at, homes?

6. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Yeh. My wet suite has a jacuzzi, and wet bar.

7. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Park City til today jigga. Bout to fly to Long Beach and hit up Honeyton for a sesh. Thanks for hollarin braw

8. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Metard came back, dude!

9. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Ya bud. Saw the smoke siggy

10. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    You gotta study up on your history.

Wet suite is not a new term. This is a sophisticated crew here, remember, and the use of the term is a reference to the ancient Hawaiian tradition of the Pulo Ke' Ena, which, translated literally means "wet room." There is archaeological evidence in the form of round earthen foundations which, it was determined after decades of digging, served as the Pulo Ke Enas of the wave riding kings of yesteryear. After a good sesh, the kings would retreat to the palm frond thatched structure where a fire pit in the middle and some water splashed on hot rocks turned it into a kind of sauna or "wet room" where they could unwind and loosen up from all the paddling. Thus, the "Wet Suite" reference you now see here on LS. Hope that helps.

11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yea... we all kinda went nuts with it...

wetsuite
    wetsuite
    wetsuite
    suite
    suite
    suite
    suite

pretty soon surfer mag and ripcurl will start calling it wetsuite

all cause some guy came on and asked a question about his wetsuite

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Jeez OP, didn't realise our behaviour would be so offensive to some. I'm sorry the sense of humour here has changed since your last long on...but...

See, we're quite the sophisticated lot here.

Mark walking's word, the sh!ts getting real.

13. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Yup. We say wetsuite, whilst having an adult beverage, a spliff, or both, while we stick our pinkies in the air to check for offshore winds.

SS is quite accurate.

We ooze class.

14. FUN

FUN Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    op is wayy too cool for this site... but would still take the time to start a whole new thread

nice

15. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    No wonder surfers get branded as uneducated "Righteous Duds" or should that be dudes?

16. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    I'm not so sure about this tread.

Didn't someone make a glossary?

17. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    heare heare.

18. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    "Suite" along with the terms, "shott" or "shotting" of piers are what makes SI a cut above the rest.