Surfside beach replenishment?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Deepee king, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I thought you Texans did most of you surfing on wakes from Oil tankers?? I think that would be fun to try.

2. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    LOL

I guess the tanker surfing is just what y'all hear about. I don't think too many actually do it. There's a guy who charters outings in the bay. Might be fun to surf a wave for several minutes. Plus, there's like, SHIPS, out there. Ships are sometimes even bigger than SUPs!

3. tonylamont

tonylamont Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Agreed. you really don't want to tanker surf unless you are out there with an experienced captain who knows what he is doing. The rest of us surf the regular old waves, but trust me, none of you guys would want 'em. Stick to 23 foot Belmar.

4. les freese

les freese Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I asked about it today and i was told that it was coming very soon and they are here and starting the project right now. I'll post some photos here when they start.

5. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
  6. Deepee king

Deepee king Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Appreciated brudduhs. Will be stoked to see the results

7. les freese

Jan 15, 2008
    no replenishment this year. They dropped enough sand so they could work on the wall and road. Next year they will start the 400' goins at welk st and texas st.

8. pussy

pussy Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    This has been my favorite thread so far. I liked reading through every comment. During the last dredge the walls were steeper that summer but the project couldn't be completed because of the wall for obvious reasons.

9. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    so, what's the general consensus about these groins? Do the local surfers believe the groins will help, or hurt the surf?

10. Deepee king

Deepee king Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Correct me if im wrong but the sand that got dumped on the beach is going to get washed away (eroded) like it always does, which should contribute to new sandbars anyways... And les when the city says they are going to make groins, do they specifically mean new jetty's? if that's the case then I think it would definitely be a good thing as far as new sand bars are concerned. But but if its any other type of structural groin, like a submerged concrete wall, which is sometimes he case, it could end up hurting the surf/ current sand bars.

11. les freese

Jan 15, 2008
    We think it's going to help because we will have more then one surf spot. It's mostly wind swell here so anything is better then what he have.
    No new jetties, We are getting groins like what Galveston has. The one Further south around Texas st will be pointing east (angled) and the one at Welk st will be pointing Southeast (straight out). Once that's done than they will fill it in with sand.
    10997485_10203929295377492_3933419188228671946_n.jpg

12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    It sounds like NJ and Texas have the same issues when it comes to beach replenishment. Monmouth county. Used to be the jetty king. After they started with the sand pumping it took away so many good surf breaks. Now they change year to year month to month depending on prevailing wind direction. I'm sure there are guys on here that remember 2nd jetty on Sandy Hook or when the cove used to fire for a quarter mile. Those days are long gone. Whatever happens with your beaches, I wish you all the best. Keep the stoke!

13. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I hope it stays as good as its been in Surfside. Its always a little bigger and longer rides than Galveston.

14. PirateBike

PirateBike New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    They definitely have. Built up the pedestrian beach a good bit all the way down to the jetties.

15. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    See this part of the fourm is coming to again. For reference sake for my fellow G-towners, Jamaica Beach is coming alive. Going this weekend if the report and winds stay true.

16. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    It is true if you ignore it it will go away. Sometimes-for the better.