Best surf hostels in tamarindo

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by trevolution, Jan 2, 2015.

1. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Yo swellinformers going to costa, staying in tamarindo for the first leg of the three month trip. Looking to see what your favorite hostels are in the tamarindo area for those who have been there. Already booked some nights at the Coral Reef hostel and Blue Trailz, but still got some more time to fill. Thanks!

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    The crocodilo was pretty cool where I stayed and it's owned by some French people and were very nice. You can walk from the hotel to the rivemouth in 5 minutes. Beware of drug dealers and kooks at the rivermouth where drop ins and leash pulling is common place. For those who won't leave you alone and follow you around trying to sell you coke just tell them in Spanish you have a heart problem and will die works like a charm. Eat at this place called addys or something best mahi Cubans of my life ate there about 5 times good priced to.

3. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    I'll double that shady place thing

4. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I second the crocodilo recommendation. They used to have this cool German Shepherd that would just hang out with the guests. We used it as a jumping off spot for Playa negra and a boat transit to witch's rock/ollie's point, but otherwise I wasn't too impressed by the place. All in all, I enjoyed Panama far more than Costa Rica, much cheaper and fewer scum bags hanging around.

5. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I have never been to the Northern most section. Almost went in 01, but we voted off the screaming stinky guy with the vehicle. From what I've heard, Tamarindo is the "beginner slopes" in the surfing world. I could never get out of Mal Pais once I arrived.

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    tamarindo is like the jaco of the ne coast

canadians
    crap surf
    aggressive vendors
    crime

negra is better and dominical even than all the above.

7. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Indeed. The waves blow too. Walk to Playa Grande for better surf, or drive south a little for better surf and less dirtbags. If you get a car, leave it empty, unlocked, and 5 bucks in the ash tray at all times!

8. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Far West Florida?

9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    yes.
    it is.

10. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Some breaks don't need help getting attention.

11. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    especially when some messianic dip drags 12 disciples there in a tidally correct manner on a daily basis.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  12. sluggo

sluggo Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Negra, Unless you really like drugs, then I'd say stay with Tamarindo

13. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    yeah man that dog was pretty cool i almost added that i loved there bakery as well. i felt sorry for it in that heat those my shep had at hard time during the summer down here in sc but the ocean kept him cool.

14. dreamsofpakalas

dreamsofpakalas Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    yeah man, tamarindo sucks ass. playa grande or playa negra is even better. avellanas is pretty fun too. much less crowded. last i was there is a short dirt road through the jungle to get there. look up a buddy of mine there. percy. pretty much the only black guy in tamarindo. super cool cat tico. he runs a surf school there, dont remember the name off hand but will get it for you.

15. dreamsofpakalas

Jun 4, 2014
    i wanna say its percy andrews surf school maybe.

http://www.letsbookhotel.com/en/costa-rica/tamarindo/hotel/tamarindo-surf-camp-percy.aspx

its a nice place to stay too. its like your own apt. kind of set back away from the main strip, but a short walk to beach

tell him that the Black family sent you. he'll know who we are

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  16. dreamsofpakalas

Jun 4, 2014
    just to let you know. my fav place that i stayed while i was there was the mono azul in manuel antonio. really nice area. not really close to good surf. but a short drive to a few. hermosa, jaco, and dominical are pretty close to there. the national park thats nearby there is pretty awesome to check out as well. when i was there, was super cheap. i believe it was only like $30 a night or so. the restaurant is killer in there too. really quaint place, but really nice. if you do go there, you gotta say hi to bizmark if he is still there. really incredible guy. he invited my fiancé and i back to his house in quepos and cooked the most amazing meal we had while we were there and got to meet his family. great people at that spot. if you have a lady with you, not a bad idea to maybe splurge a night or two near arenal at the hot springs. can't remember what the name of the place we stayed at, but it was well worth it. if you've never been, then just know to bring a few american bucks with you to pay off the local cops when they pull you over for speeding. and a spanish speaking person would definitely help if you do speak it. i'm pretty fluent and it definitely helped us not get screwed a few times. haha. also make sure you don't spend ALL your money before your flight out. you have to pay an exit tax before you can leave at the airport. look into car rental companies and look your vehicle over really well before you go. they WILL try and screw you as well. you'll find that in most cases of the ticos and ticas there, Pura Vida is just a saying. but to some it is true to life. Buenas suerte e pura vida!!

17. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    cuanto cuesta la policia sucia?

18. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    a lot of blow jobs vato.