Fort Hancock, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by terprider, Feb 24, 2009.

1. terprider

terprider Member

Apr 4, 2008
    anyone ever surf off of fort hancock? is there any surf there in the summer? could possibly get an internship there this summer but i got to be able to surf.

thanks

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    sandy hoook right there, is a right point break style wave. Gets good. There are plenty of waves around Monmouth County.

3. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    We used to head up to north beach when the lower jetties got crowded. Now there are no lower jetties on Sandy Hook just the cove which is always crowded I have ridden North Beach (Gunnison Beach) on some very good days and actually it was the only wave in NJ that was comparable to Assateague Island in MD. Sorta a weak sand bar break. Needs to be pretty big to do anyhthing there. On small, south swell summer days when it is waist high a few miles south it will be pinky toe high there. (North Beach is what we called Fort Hancock). The bay side is great fishing especially if you have a boat. Even right from the rockwall across from the mansions is good for casting. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Watch out for Gunnison Beach in the summer......:D :D:D

Cove ftw

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Volcom732

Volcom732 Member

Jun 16, 2008
    G-Land

Gunnison Beach is not North Beach. Fort Hancock is the actual fort area on the northern end of Sandy Hook. There is no actual beach at Fort Hancock, parking lot with picnic area. Gunnison is a nude beach all the time. North Beach is on Atlantic Avenue, Gunnison Beach is off Gunnison Road and Atlantic (two totally separate beaches with a bird nesting area in between.) Stay away from Sandy Hook this summer though, with the bridge still out of commission, expect to wait 2 hours to get off of Sandy Hook alone on weekends, not to mention any other driving you will be doing to get there. I've been a lifeguard there for the past 7 summers, and will be riding my bike everyday this summer. What kind of job are you getting out there? Bio-tech (bird person?) Ranger? Lifeguard? Lots of places to surf around in the area, like someone else mentioned. Always dealing with summer crowds though, but whatever, the water is warm. Later on

6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Yeah keep your wits about you at the nude beach:eek:. I did see a real babe there back in the 80's :D. As far as we were concerned everything north of the cove broke exactly the same so all of the names blended together. From the first fishing beach north to the lighthouse it was the same place to us, featureless beach and holly. I wish a massive storm would come and unleash those jetties again. Sandy Hook is no more compared to 20 years ago.

7. LVl<E

LVl<E Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    well the nonstop replensihment and change in the sandbars and beaches there brings something different all the time up there...if you have to stay out on the hook then just hit the cove...its usually pretty consistent but gets crowded...if you can leave and maybe make a 10 mins drive south to long branch you dhave a much better time down there.

8. terprider

terprider Member

Apr 4, 2008
    the job description is to help with native plant restoration, getting rid of invasive plant species with chainsaws and stuff (pretty sweet huh?). but you're basically working for the park and i'm sure they make you do some of the dirty work every once and a while, just as long as i'm outside. hopefully i'll get it and i can fish and surf my brains out. thanks.

9. bustedinbarbados

bustedinbarbados Member

Aug 23, 2008
    If you're gettin rid of invasives good luck. Most of sandy hook is invasives now haha, the dune grass is the worst. I go to high school out there and my senior project is comparing native dune grass against invasives. but from what I've seen when checkin out the beaches. North Beach juuuussttttttt north of Gunnison has some nice long rides on good swells, but it's literally just on the other side of the nudie separation. The cove gets insanely crowded and isn't worth it and the bridge construction makes going on the hook a waste of time. It takes 15 minutes to get off the hook WITHOUT bennys and summer traffic. I recommend surfing across from Gaiter's just south of Sandy Hook if you're not willing to drive to Long Branch. It's got some sexy rights that look sick if it's got a good swell......but if it's chest high there, it's head high or bigger in Long Branch.

10. 8bills

8bills Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Can we not talk about Gunnison please? STOP NAMING SPOTS ONLINE!!!!

11. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007