Atlantic Oil Drilling

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ClemsonSurf, Jan 27, 2015.

1. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for the link sbx. Good to know they are working on the neoprene issue. Pricey but cool.

2. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    here on the east coast we have the Gulf stream current going by the whole coast . with wind , solar power as an alternative , why can't we put underwater turbines in the gulf current and use the oceans current to generate power ? thats a constant flow and it really never stop , = continuos power . thats an idea to look towards or is that to far fetched .

3. LostKahukuBoy

LostKahukuBoy Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Yeah nothing can replace the power of oil, but the idea of having multiple supplemental energy sources is the best way to ween that dependence

4. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    interesting. would have to be a seriously huge turbine(s) and i wonder how robbing the Gulf Stream energy would impact weather

5. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    There's been a lot of talk at low levels about that for the Charleston Harbor. There's some serious current that runs through the shipping channels. The non-starter is the fact it could hurt the ports and shipping. Second is the infrastructure and materials deteriorating from all the saltwater and debris. Some of the smaller rivers and inlets (Georgetown) could probably support it if the materials would hold up long enough. I imagine the dredging on the inland side would require constant maintenance.

The coast and especially the gulf stream are constantly moving. It's a huge investment for a moving target. I think the trend is going to go to small scale generation. If you're lucky enough to live on a river, tap that resource. Some folks in the mountains are damming small streams and generating power that way. I could see people charging batteries to run their dock lights using the tides possibly but you'd have to constantly clean the trash out.

6. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i'll guess at that.
    us? no.
    U.K? yes.

7. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have heard of it. Very cool. Its like the car show. The technology and building science I see day to day is the stuff thats proven to work in retrofitting homes. When building a new home you have the advantage of starting from scratch so even the framing is more energy efficient. An example is wider lumber and less studs equal more space for insulation and less thermal bridging).

The thing with new construction is you still want to make it look like the existing surrounding housing stock. Otherwise it might not sell. Google Passive Homes. thats really cool stuff.

What I work with mainly is existing residential homes. You can see a huge energy reduction with a little expense. Lighting, smart strips, cleaning the bottom of your fridge and a programmable thermastat can save a ton. What is important is not to have a negative effect on quality of life. You can save money by turning down the heat, but if you're cold you shouldn't have too. Instead air seal the home, insulate and upgrade to a properley sized HVAC system. Then you'll find your self comfy with the thermastat at a lower temp in the winter and a higher in the summer. 3 degrees either way makes a real difference.

Then there is smart thermatats that hook up to you appliances. outdoor boiler resets..... I can go on and on and on. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. rather talk about surfing on here

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I know nothing about turbines. However, I do know that salt water rusts everything....and I do mean everything.
    Would they work?? Would repair bills outweigh the project??

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

10. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Like Oil rigs!!!!

11. surfnut1018

surfnut1018 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2007
    There isn't one silver bullet to solve the energy issue. It will take a number of shifts from the personal to the societal level to make an impact. But I think we can all agree we have a problem we need to address. That said If you look at other shifts in human behavior, it usually starts with a small group. Small personal decisions can have a big ripple. By not using plastic bags at the grocery store, putting solar panels on your home, or driving a more efficient car, you are setting an example and pushing the social norms towards a new standard.

12. raddadbrad

Jan 10, 2015
    Maybe Carbonfiber??

13. raddadbrad

Jan 10, 2015
    Sorry bro I'm at work and can't really elaborate. You throw out blunt statements.My responses are short and vague. But they are solutions. My bad on my frustration level with the names.

14. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    problem - that was the consensus 40 years ago.
    theres' sticks in our spokes.

15. surfnut1018

Mar 20, 2007
    Very true. I'm an optimist though. I feel like when you look at the demographics of those in favor of more drilling and opposing alternative energy solutions, they tend to be older. The younger generations are much more willing to embrace new technologies and adjust their lifestyle. I realize these are broad generalizations and as such are not a very good premise for a debate, but I do feel there is momentum building for positive change....I just hope the swing doesn't happen too late.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yes it is a generalization, but a fair one. Having said that, money creates the changes. Generally, that means the older generations, not the young. One can be of any age, come up with a great idea, but if there is an absence of funding, marketing the idea more often than not, fails. But then again, think of the guys who recently changed the world--Jobs, Gates, etc--they started in their garages, didn't they?? When they did--they were young. Now they have money, and they are older/dead. Gates is giving back. I am sure Jobs would have as well.
    So goes life.

17. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Gates DOES give back.
    altruism.

18. surfnut1018

Mar 20, 2007
    I hear you Barry Cuda. I still stand by the notion that personal choice can have an impact. We all may not have the money we need to fund new ideas (or sway politicians), but we do have a say over where our money goes. Supporting local farms at farmers markets helps promote less energy intensive agriculture practices. Using less plastic (which is made from petroleum), driving less, reducing home energy consumption all help keep money out of the hands of petroleum producers. No one person will make a dent, but a collective of individual choices will. What's more, ideas have a way of spreading. So if one person sees another turn down a plastic bag at the grocery store, they in turn will be more likely to mimic the behavior. It all needs to start somewhere. If not now then when, if not me then who? right

19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, FL has begun developing a generator that is to be powered by the Gulfstream, and is planning to deploy it soon. Boca Raton is only 3-7 miles from the Gulfstream Current depending on fluctuations. I can't remember, but I think they are planning on suspending the thing from a barge, and having it submerged a few hundred feet. This way if hurricanes come, it can be moved. If it gets corroded, it can be hauled up and repaired. Baby steps yeah, but in the right direction!