Wind Farms off AC?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by LBCrew, Jan 31, 2015.

1. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Id much rather see this than an oil puker. Plus the big arguement with solar is batteries, the sun is always shining somewhere if they can build pipelines why cant they run a main lead from solar field to solar field to support one another depending on the suns position and time zone.

2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    hey...hey....
    (the boardwalk looks GREAT compared to the no-side....)

3. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    things like this generally done in new jersey behind closed doors with those who would
    profit chosen in advance.

4. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Regarding the offshore windmills.....I'll believe it when I see it. I get the impression that the whole thing was a green energy scam for the money they got to get it off the ground.

5. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I got a surf buddy in that business who said that wind farms in the ocean are not so great due to the upkeep and difficulty accessing them for upkeep. They prefer vast stretches of land in the west and Midwest with no population nearby.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds about right

7. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    lame = lorenzo langford.

8. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Have you guys on the EC seen any of those wind towers? They are ENORMOUS. And, they literally put up many dozens of them in very close proximity. Just a guesstimate, I'm thinking those things are at least 100' tall or more. We have many of them in the West.

They aren't very pretty, but that's not a big deal in my eyes. The bigger issue is that they really aren't as efficient as some of these politicos would have you believe. Probably only slightly more efficient than solar power. The U.S. went through this same scenario back in the late 70's when "going green" was very popular. The problem is, solar energy technology has not progressed much since then, a period of 40 years. Why would it be such a great alternative now?

I'm not what anybody would consider "Liberal" or "Conservative". I'm "Pragmatic". I hate politics and politicians, and don't believe any of them have all of America's best interests at heart. Make no mistake, I would love to see the U.S. on a program of *strong* renewable energy. Wind turbines and solar power would be great...if they were *strong*, consistent, and efficient. I just don't believe that our technology has gotten us there quite yet.

I would rather continue using fossil fuels and water power, as opposed to flushing billions of politically subsidized money down the toilet towards unproven technologies (Solyndra). When some of these research companies can prove that they have made technological breakthroughs towards renewable energy, then we can carefully throw some of our hard-earned tax dollars their way.

9. wavesliderac

wavesliderac Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012

booom. real ****.

10. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    we already have 4 up and running.
    don't hear much about 'em.

11. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014

I used to own a deer camp up by the Canadian border in northern NY. They put up wind towers just after I bought it. Noble Power called me out of nowhere and said, "Can we get your signature for an easement to expand the road that borders the south side of your land by about 4-5'. We will move the stone wall, and pay you $2k a year forever." I sold the land, and kept the easement---didnt think you could do that. And now every year they cut me a check.

They are BIG, but its near impossible to guess the footage. When you're looking straight up at em they seem 100 yards tall!

But I think they are beautiful. And I am an Edward Abbey Luddite tech hater. Its a twofold appreciation: 1 -when you look out on the rolling the horizon and see these flowing white turbines in symmetrical unison, I find them to be an architectural marvel similar to a city skyline, and 2 - seeing them dot the horizon gives me a (faint unrealistic) hope that as a species we are making a large industrial effort towards doing something right, or at least reducing the wrong.

Are pseudo-green companies scamming federal money? Probably? I don't pay attention all that much. But I do know that I get $2k, and its better than damming up an Indian burial ground, spilling oil into the ocean, and its way better than the crappy Nixon watch over there --------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

12. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    20% of Florida energy is now from wind and sun due to tax credits legislation. Seems like a good idea to me. Would you rather drill in the ocean with all it's environmental risk? Tax credits are what made wind and solar financially feasible.

13. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I agree, Betty. My only concern is: exactly how much energy are wind and solar producing in your state (or any state, for that matter)? As stated before, those things are HUGE and I don't believe that both sources are really capable of providing Florida with 20% of it's current energy needs. Nuclear power plants have never provided any city or state with more than 20%, and nukes are a powerful and proven source.

When the technology allows smaller and fewer towers that are able to produce 50% + of a city or state's power needs, I will become a true believer. I believe such renewable sources are "the future"...not currently "the present". Just my opinion, that's all.

I also believe that such renewable sources are definitely worthy of research dollars. I just don't believe we, as taxpayers, should allow our government to throw hundreds of billions to politically-connected industries to subsidize something that isn't yet technologically on it's feet. Yes, the industry needs money. I just think that our government needs to be far more prudent on how much we spend on research...and exactly who it goes to.

U2B, I'm with you 100% brotha.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Your presidildo Ovomit intends to put an end to tax loopholes including tax credits. he is a commie pinko piece of cow dung.
    I think we can go solar big time. Put as much money into solar battery solutions as we do feeding illegals, and BINGO, buh bye towel heads. Easy...
    Oh wait.....batteries don't vote....

15. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    how many billions we send to pr barry ? shootz that aint no drop in the bucket, ur people would starve

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

bag o'pus,
    I have advocated getting rid of PR off the American debit sheets for decades.
    That way, surfers like you would not even dare to go there, fearing for your puny pimply heads.

17. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    sorry to burst your boble but I dialed in there and have probably stuffed you a time or two hahahah come to areceibo one day with me barney o I mean barry

18. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013

ccrrrrrraaaaaccckkkkkkkk.....(breaking radio silence)

barrycuda - step away from the fox news.
    you will NEVER bed blondie dumb-sh1t in the red dress....
    what EXACTLY makes you think you will?

your media outlet of choice does not like our country.
    for whom they shill varies; lots of time its other countries such as israel and italy.
    are you, like fox news, REALLY ANGRY at america?
    like the koch brothers and your idol sheldon adelson?

barack obama:

- got da bad guy
    - markets up (like, duh, your stocks)
    - gas prices down
    - tried to fix healthcare
    - doesn't yammer about foolish belief systems

he wants to end tax-loopholes?
    lets crucify him.

19. Atantic0

Atantic0 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Always cute when the mentally challenged dicuss politics.....on a surf predicting website.