shoulder dislocation

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by tjs618, Feb 13, 2015.

1. tjs618

tjs618 Member

Dec 17, 2014
    whats up i was wondering if anyone had this problem. b4 the winter my shoulder would come out all the time and it would hold me back from surfing heavy and big waves bc i didn't want to put myself in a bad situation. I had it fixed by surgery but i felt it pop a few times after its now more than 6 months after and i don't trust it. i want to start surfing bigger waves with out being scared ****less had this ever happened to anyone and if so what did they do? Thank you

2. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    stop surfing ....sell me your gear for 10 bucks and I might buy it.

3. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Mine would pop out during heavy paddles out. Made me look like a feeb and a pooswah. paddling in circles then belly womping it in.

4. cbb09

cbb09 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2008
    Same thing happened to my best buddy. He had a chirp put it back in place. He is rehabbing it now. Another week till he is back in da line up.

5. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I'm no therapist, but I'd first try doing a few sets of push ups and pull ups. Try to moderately push yourself and see if the tension rolls into your back muscles evenly without the shoulder giving out. Take it easy and back out with any discomfort showing face. If you're good pulling your own weight, try grabbing a 15-20lb dumbbell and imitate paddling rotations while standing up or sitting down. Again, start light and feel your way through rotations. That should give you at least a basic idea of where you stand.
    I recommend starting with push/pulls because they're linear motions compared to complex rotations of paddling. You want to test out what you can and can't trust.
    Had to go through those motions twice due to broken collarbone.. Same one, twice. Inch away.
    Heal up well, dude.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. tjs618

tjs618 Member

Dec 17, 2014
    thanks for the answers and i did all the stuff to get it back up to strength and its strong it will just pop or feel wired if i move it wrong i hoping it just needs a little more time

7. ncsurfobx

ncsurfobx New Member

Feb 13, 2015
    I hear yea man. I have had shoulder problems for a long time, having 3 surgeries and multiple shoulder dislocations.

After an "incident" (shoulder dislocation from surfing or other activities on land), I would stay out of the water for a while and build up my strengthening. And gradually start surfing more frequent and on heavier days as I got more comfortable... That's the problem, don't get too comfortable! If you have a shoulder dislocation then
    it is probably going to happen again, so you need to stay cautious and always have it in the back of your head.

I surfed for over 8 years but, after my last shoulder dislocation on a heavy day getting barreled on the outer sandbar during a hurricane swell has stopped me from surfing for the past year. I thought I was going to drown when I had to paddle all the way back in with 1 arm and then get it set back in at the hospital.

Well enough about my story, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you can build up your shoulder, be cautious and have fun!

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Never had the dislocation,... But what I have found with serious injuries it to NOT push yourself and let it heal up correctly with the right amount of time. So if your not comfortable with going out in big surf... Wait till you work your way up to it, specially with the wetsuite holding you back this time of year. Re-injuring something happens too easy.
    Currently my shoulders pop from time to time right when I'm getting warmed up- specially if I hadn't surfer in a while- maybe that's what your experiencing?

9. whiskey

whiskey Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I dislocated mine about once a month for 15 years till I got mine fixed. It's been 8 years since surgery and it's still good, no problems. It took a while to rehab though. Give it time, keep it strong and flexible. They told me to avoid excessive chest excercize, because my injury was toward the top front of the shoulder.

10. tjs618

tjs618 Member

Dec 17, 2014
    sweet thanks and i was wondering if when ik I'm going to eat it if i should try and hold my shoulder thats what i use d to do b4 i got the surgery and idk if its use full

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I've dislocated both of mine multiple times, separated em, torn labrum, etc., I let them rest for a while and then I started surfing again, slowly built my endurance back up and the more I surf the better they are. Pay close attention to proper paddling technique. Don't paddle too spastic, just paddle long strong controlled strokes. If you jerk your shoulders with too much explosion you could pop it out again. I have yet to get surgery.

12. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Your shoulder should not be popping out after it was fixed. I had the same thing happen with shoulder instability after a bad snowboard wipeout. They went in with a scope and anchored everything and it was really well done. Maybe your PT wasn't long enough? How is your range of motion? If I fall on wave arms out really hard my shoulder will hurt but that's about it. It should def not be unstable after a surgery.

13. SICBARREL

SICBARREL Member

Oct 31, 2014
    I have disclocated my shoulder many of times over last 10 years from surfing and all you can do is rehab it yourself, unless you want to go the professional route and or get surgery. Problem is surgery is 6 months out of water and no guarentee it will prevent it from happeneing again. I believe tha best method is self rehab, attempt to get the tendons/muscle strong and tight again. This requires ice and rest for the first week post injury and unitil your shoulder doesn't hurt without moving it, maybe 2 weeks. After a week or 2 you can start rehabbing it yourself, just becareful doing shoulder excercises, take your time. I've re-injured my shoulder surfing after doing "rehab" excerisces, so you must be careful to find the bvalance between strengthing the shoulder awhile overworking it causing potential for more injury. Swimming laps in a pool helps to stregthen the shoulder, but be careful not to over exert the shoulder. Pull ups and pushups are the worst thing for a shoulder injury, only do them after some signifugant pain free time, like 6 to 8 weeks or more after the injury. I have learned that it happens when my body is cold, and not warmed up, like during the first couple minutes of the session when I'm not lose yet, so I like to do jumping jacks or shadowboxing on the beach for a couple minutes in attempt to prevent injury.

14. tjs618

tjs618 Member

Dec 17, 2014
    if your about to eat it on a heavy wave is there anything u do?

15. SICBARREL

SICBARREL Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Nope..if your thinking about protecting your shoulder in heavy/big surf you shouldn't be out there. All I can say is that you got to strengthen your shoulder enough to where your confident enough to not think about a reoccurring injury. It's all in the mind once you feel no pain. Unfortunately once you dislocate your shoulder it becomes even easier to happen again, I've gone years without reinjury but within the last year have dislocated it twice, once lifeguarding and once surfing and I'm just taking the same approach I have developed that I stated earlier...rest it until it feels solid then rehab.

16. whiskey

whiskey Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2011
    In big surf keep your arm tucked close to your side.