Favorite All-Rounder

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by mattinvb, Feb 23, 2015.

1. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I've got the new board itch yet again, and am looking for a good all-round performance shortboard. Something that will work well in the stomach to overhead range, in both fat mushy waves as well as hollow conditions. What shapes have yall found that you like? Thus far I've heard good things about the hypto krypto, ...lost v3 rocket, and rusty dwart -that's the general direction im leaning.

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    My favorite all around board was the Lost Speed Demon. I've had a few and liked every one.
    Last year I brought one to LBcrew and he shaped me a new stick based off it and it's been my favorite board since. I ride it in almost all conditions (until it get's well overhead) and it always works.
    Dude has skills.

3. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Perfect 2 board East Coast quiver would be a CI Dumpster Diver and a Lost MiniDriver.

4. PhiloSurfer

PhiloSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I'll help you narrow down that list by voting against the Hypto Krypto. I was curious about all the hype, so I bought a used custom (non-GSI) HK for a good price. I rode the thing in a variety of surf from DOH Steamer Lane to waist high & weak VB. For me, it was a TOTAL DOG. Outside of good paddling power, there was almost nothing that I liked about this board. It seems like Hayden was trying to make too much of an all-rounder and succeeded in making a below average "jack of all trades, master of none."

I've seen Craig Anderson rip the lights out on this thing, but then again Kelly Slater surfed a door at Rincon. My point is that I think the Hypto Krypto is more marketing than substance.

5. Brode

Brode Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Lost Sub-Scorcher & Roberts Black Punt

When it gets bigger than 1-2' mush the Black Punt RIIIIIIIPS

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    WRV Generator 5' 9" w-19 3/4" t-2 1/2" . Best board in all around conditions.

7. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Matt Kechele Performance Module in the 6'0" range

8. SurfJdog

SurfJdog Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
  9. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Riding my Dumpster Diver lately and it's been great

10. Njryan

Njryan Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Stretch skate best board I've ever had for the east coast, from waist to overhead so consistent and bombproof also. image.jpg

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks, brother. That's actually a really good all-arounder... I think. Did we make that a thruster/quad convertible? A good idea for any board you want to open up the performance envelope on.

12. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yup. Been riding it as a quad a lot lately and loving it... Need another one soon.

13. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I'll disagree with Philo About the hypto...but agree probably not what you're looking for...I would say that both the dwart and hypto fall in the alt. Board Category rather than performance all around short board...same with the v3.

What are you currently riding...make a few mods from there...I ride the hayden shred sled pretty religiously...great all around we for me as I like a winder outline...ho type of fish. But I've had a couple of them and had to find the dims that worked best. The trend of the short stubby short board...dumaster diver/Fred stubble seem like what you're after...dumpster diver seems to work great for most people. Couple times I've ridden one it was fun...

14. Luddite

Luddite Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Nothing under 9 feet can be described as an all rounder.

15. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    technically correct; though some stand out.
    try a firewire chubby checka.

16. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I find that I currently switch between a 5'10" retro twin fin fish, a 6'x20x2.5 single fin, both of which are tremendous fun in waist to chest+. My issue is I purchased a used Rusty 6'4" x 18.5 x 2.32 rounded pin on craigs list last year (which works well in chest and up but really struggles in weaker waist high compared to the other two). I know there's been the movement towards shorter/wider/fatter with less rocker that a lot of people swear by, so I figured I'd give it a shot. You're right that that is what I am generally after, with the 5 fin option so I can switch it up and play around with it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  17. PhiloSurfer

PhiloSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Differences of opinion on the HK are valid, it's all about riding style, wave size/type, and your size. Given what you're currently riding, you're bound to like the Hypto more than I did. My guess is that the HK is just one of those boards that doesn't "scale up" very well. I'm 6'4", 205lbs and was riding a 6'2" with 38L.

I bet that if you're a 160-175lb dude and you get this board as a 5'6" or 5'8", it's probably a VERY different machine. All that being said, I still think it's not well suited to small, mushy, EC waves. Have fun with your search.

**I've got a nearly brand new 6'0" Lost Weekend Warrior just sitting in my garage that I'm not even riding if you're interested! I have too many small to mid-range boards and I might sell this one off.**