Winter Booties

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by ECsponger, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Does anyone use split-toe boots? I've used round-toe forEVER but came across a deal for a good split-toe boot. Was curious if anyone has any weird issues with toes rubbing or if it's too uncomfortable when you thrust kick. I have a size 12-13 (US) size foot so it's a pain in the ass finding a good bootie.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I don't buy splits anymore. Large toe seems to get cold when not with the other four.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Never used split toes homie. What kind of fins do you rock?

4. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I never had a problem with the split toes being uncomfortable. My issue was/is my leash getting caught in the gap. As a sponger I don't think you'd have that problem. get 'em!

5. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Dude Yazbeck's nuff said or H20 are always $25 bucks a pop for 5 mill...never use surfing booties with soles in your flipper kickerz dude...

6. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Been using a pair of RipCurl Dawn Patrols that have worked fine but are wearing out...5mm - they do have soles and aren't an issue. No velcro straps or anything - H2Odyssey socks are too lightweight and wear out too easily. I wear a Tech Original fin in the winter.

7. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Thanks for the recommendation. They seem decent, just seems like socks vs boots tend to wear out quicker. I dunno I'll see what I can find, haven't looked into too much dive/scuba gear options.

8. jwiggz4u

jwiggz4u New Member

Dec 15, 2009
  9. jwiggz4u

jwiggz4u New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Try putting a layer of silicon glue on the heal. Tends to help prolong the heal wear

10. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Check out those Yazbecks industructable the 5 mills are almost to much warmth for me right now..

11. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
  12. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Dude I wore a pair of booties with a sole once..never again..my churchies are 10 years old so they fit my foot with or without booties..best fin ERS4

13. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I don't see what good split toes could do under fins, other than keeping your feet colder.

Jawn, I'm jealous that you have 10 year old Churchills, they don't make them like they used to.

14. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    You'd be correct SBX the foot pocket is shaped different..no size properly fits me anymore..I been trying lots of different fins and finally scooped a pair of those ERS4..they're so good..
    Yeah about all there still good for is body surfing and winter..warm temperatures and they go gumby

15. epictetus

epictetus Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    I have been doubling up the H2oddyseys for 10 mil total, they only last 1 season but I use last season's as the "inner" layer... also i have to twist the velcro straps a ton to make them tight enough so the things don't flush like a mofo every time you catch a wave

16. daeggman

daeggman Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    in my 3mm my left toe rubs against the rubber. it blisters and get gross and infected. i've solved this problem by taping my left toe with some athletic tape and wrapping it a few times, it works. if you choose to do this just remember you taped your toe. the tape may come off when you're taking the bootie off and you'll have a hunk of tape where your big toe should be.

my 5mm dont have this problem and i dont have 7mm but make it through the winter fine

17. daeggman

daeggman Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    also i have xcel and i use size 13, when i buy shoes i get 14 or 15 but i can squeeze my foot into these

18. LostKahukuBoy

LostKahukuBoy Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    I think Split toe is for added stability when stand up surfing as it allows your foot to spread out more. If your bodyboarding, I don't think it'd be very important to have split. In fact, I'd say round is better, unless you're doing drop-knee all the time.

19. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Thank for the recommends ya spongers. Good stuff. Back to the drawing board for me. Them Yazbecks seem to be the way to go. Only reason I asked about the split toe is because I came across a good deal on a pair. Trying to keep my price range ~ $50. Looking forward to warmer water soon!!! UGH!!!

Man, I get a few gnarly toe blisters every summer. I use Vipers for bodysurfing and lifeguarding and I don't have a problem with them. I got a pair of Air Hubbs this past summer that are awesome. Got a pair of Stealth 2.0 fins I'm gonna be selling if anyone is interested. Large size orange/black. Too many fins, too little time!

20. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    You ride for 662 or what? How close are the ERS4s to Redleys? I could get those and that Turbo-looking board Science came out with last year or whatever and then have a sick MS Halloween costume.