Frisco/Hatteras Trip, Need info

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Jmazz, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Jmazz

Jmazz New Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Hey All,

Heading down to Frisco first week of May for a trip with my GF. Looking for some info on the area. I visited Frisco one time in the past, camped at NPS campsite in Frisco, and surfed Frisco and the lighthouse. Looking for any relevant info on the area (i.e., camping, surf, etc.) Thinking about going back to NPS Frisco campgrounds, close proximity to the lighthouse is key and I liked that they had shaded areas within the campgrounds. Any other campgrounds you'd recommend?

Is Frisco Pier worth surfing? How about Ocracoke, worth the ferry to surf there? How're the crowds prior to Memorial Day, is the Lighthouse going to be a **** show? Also, my GF is a beginner, any recommendations for smaller breaks? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

2. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Dude, Ocracoke will scare you in a Deliverance-kind-of-way. Plus, they talk funny down there. But it's an interesting place I suppose.

Is anywhere worth surfing?

Yeah, Frisco Pier is worth surfing, but that area is strange. All the conditions may point ---FRISCO !!

And then it sucks.

And then one day you don't really expect it, and it cranks.

Of course, south of The Oregon Inlet is where, "You ain't from around here are you son" starts. Lot's of strange folk down there all isolated and on substances. The cops are delightful.

The Banks are a big shifting sandbar, so don't just look at the known spots. Do a little searching. Maybe Brett Barely will help you out since we vote for him in Surfline contests. Probably not, though. He's not very Christian.

The Rodanthe area is where most of the cool kids historically hang out. There's this one spot just north of town that is pretty famous. I like that area way better than the Lighthouse area. But of course, like NSB, FL, there is always a little peak at one of them Lighthouse groins.

Don't drink and drive down there. If you are from the Northeast, leave your 'tude at home.

Most people go all honky aboot how much better the surf is down there...

Ahhh, whatevs, but The Banks rules because of the vibe. I've said it before, but The Banks are the bastion of the free spirit on the east coast. Well, besides Bridgeport, CT.

3. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Heavy piggy presence. on the OB. Don't bring more than you can eat. Sometimes there's check points going in.

4. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Make sure you say hi to Dune on your way through KDH! Stack'Em High has great breakfast and if you need a drug test, Dollar Tree has them!

5. Ripcurrent

Ripcurrent Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Frisco is a terrible beginner spot its either shorebreak or 100yds out, if you go to the light house and walk down to the right it is usually smaller for some reason. Nps campgrounds are fun

6. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Your best bet might be to hook a left and head to Sanderling. Check Duck pier on the way. 90% of my OB surfing took place from Duck up. That's only if you like surfing alone.

7. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    the cops dont **** with me i got sc plates.

8. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i would tell you to surf pea island, but you won't.

9. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i swear pea island is a hit or miss.

10. Jmazz

Jmazz New Member

Apr 23, 2015
    More isolate breaks on the Northern end of OBX? I'll definitely consider that.

Thanks for all info. Much appreciated.

11. pussy

pussy Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Frisco SUCKS. I'll spank any EC wave thrown at me...Hatteras, Manasquan, Sebastian, Ruggles WHAT. What do you got? You got nothing, never, ever. Throw em at me dude what spot, name the spot name the swell kook! I'll be out there generally showing how it's done on any wave you got while you're still shaving your legs waiting for the perfect day on "Swellinfo" kook.

12. pussy

pussy Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
  13. KDHJB

KDHJB Active Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Basic rule of thumb for the area surf is that if there is more South in the swell than East in it, then stay South of Oregon Inlet. If you end up surfing in the Duck/Corolla area, be ready to walk. The better spots don't have parking anywhere near them (ie. Duck Research Pier), but you will probably find a fun wave and have it all to yourself.

Sands have changed a lot in the Rodanthe area and some of the classic spots aren't really breaking anymore, you'll just have to search and definitely mind the parking signs if there are any. If there is swell and you are willing to search for a little while, you can easily find a fun break to surf alone, so long as you are actually outside of the town limits.

It was already noted that Frisco is fickle and that's def true, there's seriously no rhyme or reason to that place firing, it just does when it wants to. The lighthouse is obviously where you want to surf, but if there's swell, you're girlfriend isn't gonna need to be out there, and you're gonna have to be ok with an agro crowd. And whoever said Brett Barley "wasn't very Christian"...I'm not sure what they meant by that or how it would affect anything about your trip at all but he's like the nicest dude down there and he would totally give you some tips on where to look.

Ocracoke is the wild wild east, if you're surfing there then you'll just have to look for it. And look for fins in the water while you're at it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    "if there's swell, your girlfriend isn't gonna need to be out there"...

I like that, made me chuckle...

15. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Dude, north of Kitty Hawk is usually much worse than TOWN or DOWN SOUTH. Usually much worse. Especially north of that Duck Pier thing which can be the best thing in the world at times, maybe...

The Duck Pier? Where you going to park? At The Sunset Grill and walk in? Maybe. Or you could be daring, and drive into the neighborhood and just park on some dude's driveway. Hey, it works in the winter. Most neighborhoods north of Kitty Hawk have aboot ten year-round residents. Hey don't burglarize nobody in January alright? Thanks.

Ahhh, just look for all the cars with surf racks parked-up and then go a block north or south. The sharks will get you if you surf by yourself and them sharks are up in Corolla, too.

16. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    there's parking N of the pier at SprigTail rd. There's a nice parking area at the Sanderling/Corolla border with a schitter and shower. If you're there at the right time, there's guys who'll drag yer crap to the beach.

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

When there is a swell, my girlfriend knows not to bother me. Of course, we have been together for 44 years.

18. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Frisco and Hatteras and Buxton are my favorite places to surf. Depending on what kind of car you drive I generally drive out on billy Mitchell and surf frisco (same road the frisco campground is on) I don't mess with the lighthouse much if I'm going to surf in buxton i typically go down old lighthouse road and park and walk in. Other than that in the gap between frisco and Hatteras there is a parking lot with showers and **** had pretty good luck there in the past.

I'm not sure if you have looked at the forecast yet but this weekend is going to be hefty. If you're going down Friday I would say surf buxton and the. When the winds shift N see what frisco looks like... Should be a lot smaller but clean... Probably best for your girl. Sunday get your d wet in buxton while the girl watches you get pitted. Hot sex that night and then take her out again in buxton Monday and show her the ropes.

My favorite thing about the outerbanks is beach driving.. But you gotta have a permit now 50 bucks a week or 120 for a year. Pretty easy to find a break to yourself if you are driving on the beach though. I will be down there Friday afternoon until Sunday night for my buddy's bachelor party holler holler holler

19. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
  20. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014