Wave Garden too fast?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by waveft6, Jun 9, 2015.

1. waveft6

waveft6 Active Member

May 20, 2014
    So Austin TX is getting a wave garden, and I'm getting hyped. The only thing better than 2/3 of the worlds population being in close proximity to surfable coastline is building wave pools that encroach on the last third.

That being said here's the question. It's a mouthful. Is the wave garden too fast? Every pro I've seen surfing (and these are pros, the guys that can do four turns where most of us can only fit two) the prototype in Spain seems like they can barely keep up with it. Dane seems to struggle popping airs, cutbacks have no point and cause them to fall behind the break. But I have surfed faster waves than that and haven't had these types of problems. SO! Is the Wave garden too fast or not hollow enough? or does it need to break the same speed but oscillate between slow cutback sections and fast hollow sections for airs?

The innovation is cool, no doubt. But living in VB I'd still rather shred a spot I surf normally because it has its fast and slow and hollow sections before I'd drive two days or fly to this spot which, in my opinion doesn't look a whole lot better than the peak I surf in isolation 45mins from my house. Am I crazy? Am I a kook? Am I an amateur? or has anyone else been asking themselves the same thing?

2. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Tagging along. I live 3 hours out from Austin and been waiting for this thing to happen forever. They've been t trying to get one in the Southern part of Texas but everytime it's brought up, it seems to get shot down just as fast. Anyways, this seems like a good thing to point out especially for the ones who have never surfed. I can see a lot of wake surfers from Lake Travis trying to surf this thing and eating it left and right.

3. crindlefish

crindlefish Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I can imagine: (wsl commentary)
    Our surfer in yellow, Felipe Toledo up against Caleb Jones, in the red jersey, fresh on the CT for his rookie season hailing from...Austin, Texas all set for round 1 heat 1 of the billabong Tahiti pro

4. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
  5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    My guess...

wave garden wave= fart from elderly human trasferred into water

real wave= fart from a god transferred into water

fart in the wetsuite

6. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    i think overall they are good ideas and will only increase the surboard,surf world i mean what if surboard companies or shapers can start selling to inland people? talk about a boon ...
    but
    to me the challenge that a break(especially a beach one) presents is part of the joy...the obstacles and changing factors all lead to changing wave sizes and breaks,time,tide,wind, wind direction,sandbars, and picking the right wave /set is part of the fun for me

7. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Dane a pretty big guy...maybe he's riding an under volumes board or just trying to make the wave do more than it can...

As for the ethics of this vs. surfing the ocean...pretty of other variables come into play in the ocean...tides, rips, etc. however I'm not a purist in this sense...i think frost has it right good for the little guy in the industry...who knows maybe this can pull quick outta the gutter financially.

8. rippinNtearin

rippinNtearin Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    yup, I wouldn't say it's a challenge, though. More of a way of leveling the playing field for everyone to have the same chance at getting waves. Can't be mad at the guy 200 yards away getting barreled bc he watched the beach break and picked the best spot. However, I can see people getting agro quick if prices jump at busy times and they start making VIP clubs or limiting time/type of waves in the pool.

Don't get me wrong, wave pools like sweet. But I can't imagine living inland and relying on them as your 'home break.' I couldn't shake the feeling that they are plastic, pop-out waves made in China or something.

9. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    This is a long shot but.... saltwater is more dense giving the rider more float in the ocean. Maybe the guys are sinking a bit and surfing slower.

10. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    Will be interesting to watch those that learned on that predictable conveyer belt wave paddle out in the Gulf washing machine 6ft@6sec with 20mph wind current....

11. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    1) fresh water = less buoyancy
    2) probabay a surface wave, as opposed to ocean waves having more of a "ground swell" effect where a portion of the wave's energy actually being under the wave's surface

12. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much chlorine is going to suck. Splashtown (local water park) usually reeks of it. can't imagine it won't be far off from that. surf nice wave, water splash up in your face burning the very soul of your eyes. fallibg off in dramatic way as you pulmmet to a concrete floor.

13. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    I believe an article on the 'snowdonia' wavepark mentioned, supposedly, that surfers did not notice the difference in freshwater, and that the water would be filtered but not chlorinated.

Either way, 2/300 yard HH barrels? I would relish in the chance to practice barrel stalling and pumping. Going vertical too.

Truth of the matter is, there's only so many days a year that I get to even attempt that. And usually, on those hollow-drifty-wompy days, I'm far from the best surfer out there, and I'm eating scraps. So I would love to use the wavepark to prepare for those days.

That being said ... for the price of flying to Austin (300), finding a cheap place to stay(200), and paying for 4/5 days of wavepool (300?), I could have a sweet week in Nica or El Sal.

BBQ and southern women are nice, but arid inland hip cities don't really compare to the wonders of Central America.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  14. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Slash has a great point. I guess it would be awesome if you happened to be in Austin for the SxSW, which can be awesome. But I sure wouldn't book it as a surf destination.

I haven't done the homework on the wave, but chlorine? Many home pools are getting away from chlorine and going to salt water....cheaper and easier to maintain. Surely, the wave would be using the same technology, no?

15. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The problem with keeping up with the wave is that it's waist high and gutless. Hard to generate speed after a turn on a wave like that.

16. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    I always thought it was the saltwater ones that would be more expensive due to the on going maintenance needed for them. i.e. draining the whole pool of the water and literally scrubbing it from head to toe. the generator needed to make the salt active as a fitler. truth be told they still technically use chlorine but to an extent to where its unnoticeable. my money is that theyre going to use chlorine for the fact of it being slightly cheaper in the long run.

17. waveft6

waveft6 Active Member

May 20, 2014
    Yeah! surfing a waist high wave the other day and the current off the bar gave it enough "gut" to ride a wave faster than wave gardens without feeling like i would lose it. Is it possible that the wave gardens too "perfect" and that the back wash of waves helps them break with gut that something like the currentness wave garden does not currently have?

18. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    So it begins...

[video=youtube_share;lYUXm1CHCvc]http://youtu.be/lYUXm1CHCvc[/video]

19. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    [video=youtube_share;2u5w8kvYBJ8]http://youtu.be/2u5w8kvYBJ8[/video]

20. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013