Al merrick weirdo ripper deal

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by saltcreep, Jun 19, 2015.

1. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    So the past few days I went out to catch a little bit of Bill and met a few other guys. one of them offered to sell me a Weirdo Ripper in what seems to be almost new condition! $300 with future fin setup. I know it's a bit more of an advance board but, I figured I could keep it in my quiver for when the time comes or would this board fall under a fish type hybrid that's pretty easy to ride?

2. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Ok. In order to give you better advice please post the following.

The dimensions of the board.

Your dimensions.

Your surfing ability.

What you normally ride/the rest of your quiver.

From what you posted here all we know is brand and model name which mean nothing.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

And, make sure it is not a stolen board.

4. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    6"2 x 20-7/8" x 2-5/8". 37.5L are the dims of the board and I think the size I would need would be a 5'9.the thickness and volume are about what need just a lil bit more. I've been riding a 8ft thruster fun shape and been playing around on a 7'2 quad egg my friend has been letting me use (pretty fun by the way). my skill I'm about intermediate. I have a good feel for my pop and I can get the 7'2 to pump a lil. still learning how to do it right.

5. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Then personally I think those dimensions would work for you with some trial and error.

5'9 NO. Too small for you at this stage of the game. IMO.

How big are you?

6. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    5'7 140 lbs. I'm not a big guy and I'm not getting any bigger. I'm 24 so pretty sure I'm done growing and I'm pretty active outside of surfing. 140 -145 is where I usually sit at in weight

7. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I think it's way too big...even for a beginner. It'll look pretty, but you're probably not going to be able to turn on it.

If a custom board is out of the picture (understandable), you should go back to your original thought of going to all the shops, talking with some experienced surfers (not just shop-kid salespeople) and choosing a board for you.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  8. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    he's been riding an 8 ft funshape, along with a 7'2 egg.

6'2 would be perfect, maybe even a bit bigger would be better

9. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    yea it's when I've been doing a lot lately. throwing 600 at a custom just isn't in my budget right now so I've been looking more at used board more then anything.

10. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    With respect.

Why can't you turn a 6'2 over a 5'9?

OP is just getting the hang of riding funshapes. Not sure your logic is sound on the "not going to be able to turn it" point.

This ain't the WSL.

11. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    I can turn my 8ft on small mush with no problem. when I stepped on the 7'2 it was a whole new world. I rode a 6'0 fish for a few hours and the difference is amazing and I love the skatey feeling but I feel like I can say I rode one till I ride one for a whole day. this being a hybrid fish I feel like Im jumping a whole learning curve but, I'm very confident that I can ride the hell out of it.

12. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    there ya go.

go for that 6'2 board.

13. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Sounds way to big for you. If I were you, go with a 5'8

14. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Ive seen and held a weirdo ripper.

It is not a true fish........

You don't need something super small. I think you want to get a nice bigger than "specs" shortboard and get used to the sensation.

DONT fall into the trap of going too short. Not at the stage....hell not ever.

Your not a pro so you dont need to match your board specs to what the pros are riding.

IMO get a nice big shortboard and have fun with the learning. 6'2 weirdo ripper might be it. Might not. Thats up to you. Personally I would advise you do not listen to people telling you to go under 6ft at this stage of the game considering you normally ride boards over 7ft.

15. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    The question isnt whether you CAN turn it. Anyone with a bit of experience can turn a 8, 7, or 6 foot board. The question is whether it is the right size for you or not. At 140 pounds, it might be a bit easier to start with, but it has too much volume at 37.5 L, you wont be able to sink the rails and tail effectively when you turn, and it will limit you. I've watched guys riding shortboards with way too much volume, and they may not realize it because they are catching a lot of waves and going real fast, but their turns are noticably compromised by not being able to sink the rail at speed and whip that thing around. My suggestion - stay wide, but find something a few inches shorter.

16. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    my bad...somehow got it in my head you said it was 6'4".

A 6'2" is definitely better, but I still think it'll be a massive cork at your size. I haven't surfed in the gulf since I was about 10 yo, so maybe you need a cork.

Good thing is CI has extraordinary resale vale...depending on how many dents and dings you get while trying it out.

17. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I experienced this with my last board purchase. Picked up the Surftech Spudnick by Randy French off Whiskey Militia for $309. I've used a few times and is good in really small surf, but I took it out on a 2-3' fun day and was cursing the thing. It's a 6'0 and It says its 34L on the site, but feels like 40L. Rail game has suffered. Thinking about something similar in width but going down to a 5'7 or 5'8. (Im 5'11 & 170)

18. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    correct me if i'm wrong, but salinity levels in the gulf/atlantic are a good bit higher then the west coast, so a cork wouldn't be needed. a 6'4 board in CA would be a 6'2 board in the gulf, basically..

19. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    I was referring to the gulf's average wave size/strength. From what I remember, they're usually very small and weak. Only times I remember gulf waves having any acceptable push is from tropical storms (very rare) and winter cold fronts...summers were usually flat as a lake. SUP city.

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Its flat more than not but it can get good, maybe 10 legit days a year, maybe 10-15 average days, and probably 20+ slop fests. Give or take a few. I've had some memorable sessions, but gotta be at the right place at the right time, it's very fickle and knowledge of the breaks is key. I really like the cold fronts that bring NW swells and light NE winds usually from late fall to early spring. Works perfect at a certain Jetty.