Living in Asbury Park

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by nickzilla720, May 16, 2009.

1. nickzilla720

nickzilla720 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Might be taking a job in Fort Monmouth and thinking of living in or around Asbury Park. Not as familiar with Monmouth County, NJ. Heard the music and arts scene is growing. Any input or suggestions?

2. SuburbanScumNJ

SuburbanScumNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    they ruined asbury park just like they ruined long branch there trying to make it a downtown red bank style for yuppies.

3. somegaveup

somegaveup Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    There was a thread on this a while back you might want to check it out. I would avoid any type of investment into AP (housing, bussiness, ext.). The developers that were chosen by the city also have stop investing halting alot of projects. The same properties that were abandoned in 1985 appear to be heading in the same direction. If your looking to just rent, I would pick the area of AP carefully, you might want to aviod some. I spent some of my life there and have no desire to return (I do still live in the area). Just my 2 cents.

4. DJFresh

DJFresh Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2008
    I agree, every time it seems AP is coming back to the "glory days", it never fully makes it. And there are some really bad areas. Be careful.

Plus, I believe Ft. Monmouth is closing down in the near future.

5. smack da lip whaaapaaa

smack da lip whaaapaaa Well-Known Member

May 10, 2008
    I wouldn't live in Asbury Park, unless corrupt, crime-ridden cities are your forte. The beaches are filthy. The handful of nice places to actually go to are filled with yuppie pretentious assholes.

Oh and June 2007 a quarter million gallons of "partially treated" (yeah, sure, I bet it was as partially treated as the definition of the word partial would allow) was discharged directly into the ocean for as few as four hours (probably more).

In addition, there is this group of unruly surfers who practice extreme localism. Add in the influx of Long Branch rippers who have been left "homeless" due to the replenishment in Long Branch and you get an extremely competitive line up.

Leave your boogie board at home.

6. SuburbanScumNJ

SuburbanScumNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    hahahhahaahaha

7. matt720

matt720 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  8. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I agree with Bradly more then Asbury,I live in Fort Monmouths back yard,Your only talking about 17 minutes from Bradly.Bradlys not the fanciest town but its a little less hectic then Belmar (lived there for 3 years) cheaper then Avon,close to Asbury without living there and its got some good places to eat.just my take...

9. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    7/24/2009 4:30 pm Donavon Frankenreiter The Stone Pony Summer Stage Asbury Park NJ

Damnnnnn. I can't believe I won't be in town to see Donavon at the pony! wish i could go should be great

10. nickzilla720

nickzilla720 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok thanks for all the advice. But I went to school in Philadelphia and I lived in west philly. So urban environments are not unfamiliar to me, so drugs and violence are expected. I was curious about music venues, good restaurants, etc?

I looked at the Stone Pony, that looks sick. How about mexican restaurants?, I'm a diehard mexican food addict.

11. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Pop's Garage is a taco shop on the board walk and fins is in bradley. i don't think that's quite mexican food. fins is a "tropicali grill" and pop's is a taco shop.

12. beaner

beaner Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Where in philly did you live? Asbury isn't necessarily bad, it's just beat up. I wouldn't consider it urban...i would consider it a dump. Look at Long Branch, Bradley and some of the other towns in the area...then again you probably could find some cheap rent. Get a garage for your car.

13. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    i grew up near asbury and went to school in philly. i dont reocmmend living in asbury, there are plenty of better places nearby. if you want arts and music move to ocean grove or bradley and ride your bike to asbury. it might not be there when you get out tho

14. Mike Vivs

Mike Vivs Member

Jan 21, 2009
    mama cuch is a good mexican restaurant. I think its in Allenhurst

15. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Juanitos in Red Bank,Casa Comida in Long Branch,Vics in Bradley for italian and After a nice Session ,Kellys Tavern in Neptune City.Try a Reuben and good luck.........